$1/$2 hand with a side of weird massage (1 Viewer)

ngmcs8203

Flush
Reaction score
So here was an interesting hand from session 4 of poker from Grand Sierra Resort's "no action" poker room.

This was about 2 hrs in to a session that started at 11p and we had been the short-handed table for about 45 minutes at this point. This is a $1/$2 uncapped game and the only lgame they spread. The room had a mix of regs left over from earlier in the day and my table had a few out of towners who I had played with the last few nights. There were two guys at the table who had said they normally played the deeper game at Peppermill but liked coming to GSR on occasion. I assumed cuz it was significantly softer.

Night one of my poker playing here I played about 4hrs and cashed out for a $1200+ profit. I hadn't seen any solid players over the course of the first 15hrs I had played in the room, and the "good" regs were good enough to eek out a profit that likely barely covered what they were paying in rake.

Anyway, on to the hand...

We are playing 6-handed. The button is one of the peppermill guys, and he's in the middle of getting a massage, has his partner sitting behind him (who was playing earlier at the other table) and straddles to $10. He's an aggressive player but not pretty straight forward for most of the night. UTG is 90% vpip and is there to collect his comp dollars. He calls for $10. He's not particularly good and had been complaining about being card dead and not winning a hand all night.

I am in the HJ and peel :td::9d:. I pop it to $35. It folds to the BTN/Straddle who looks at his cards and makes it $75. Folds to me. I am the effective stack heads-up with about $385. He bought in for $500 and was sitting on about $650.

Hero?

Last edited:
Well, hero thinks about it and sticks in the call. Pot is now at $160ish.

Flop comes :qd::8d::3h:

I check to the button who then jams. Do you make the call? Why or why not?

I wouldn't have checked to the button & you obviously didn't fold otherwise you wouldn't be telling this story lol! Text me what happened because I don't want to wait just to hear that the runout went blank-blank...
I checked only because I wasn’t the 3better and I was thinking about a check raise if he cbet a reasonable amount. The jam threw me off since he hadn’t done that at all throughout the night. If he was a habitual shover I would have snapped it off.

My mistake was math. Sleep deprived and being nearly 2a I thought I was an 60-40 dog and was up against a big pair, two pair or set.

I sat there for about 60seconds trying to run it through my feeble mind. I said “I’m pretty sure I’m behind but not by much.”

I folded and said “I’m going to regret this. Nice pair of aces, sir.” He flipped over two black aces.

I ran it when I got back to the room and it was pretty much a flip. I should have snapped him off and lost.

Still up about 1400 on the trip with one more night to go.

I checked only because I wasn’t the 3better and I was thinking about a check raise if he cbet a reasonable amount. The jam threw me off since he hadn’t done that at all throughout the night. If he was a habitual shover I would have snapped it off.

My mistake was math. Sleep deprived and being nearly 2a I thought I was an 60-40 dog and was up against a big pair, two pair or set.

I sat there for about 60seconds trying to run it through my feeble mind. I said “I’m pretty sure I’m behind but not by much.”

I folded and said “I’m going to regret this. Nice pair of aces, sir.” He flipped over two black aces.

I ran it when I got back to the room and it was pretty much a flip. I should have snapped him off and lost.

Still up about 1400 on the trip with one more night to go.
20230108_224752.gif

Hero needs ~41% equity to call.

Vs the black aces or pretty much any pair bigger than a ten with no diamond redraw, hero is a 52/48 dog.
Vs the same hand with a diamond redraw, hero is a 57/43 dog.
Vs a superior flush draw, hero is a 66/34 dog.
Vs air with a naked diamond, hero is a 59/41 favorite.
vs a set, hero is a 65/35 dog.

It seems pretty close. Hero's +ev ( if it exists at all ) is maybe a percent or two. Call it plus $10 - $15, at best without knowing villain is some sort of skilled but wild lag. Hero is going to need a lot of air in villain's range to get better than a few percent +EV.

Here we see the power of big pair in a low SPR pot. Hero's speculative hand hits the flop hard, yet villain has an easy shove that eliminates hero's leverage. Not much for Hero to do.

Looks like a risk adverse puke, fold. Not a terrible place to stack off though. -=- DrStrange

Hero needs ~41% equity to call.

Vs the black aces or pretty much any pair bigger than a ten with no diamond redraw, hero is a 52/48 dog.
Vs the same hand with a diamond redraw, hero is a 57/43 dog.
Vs a superior flush draw, hero is a 66/34 dog.
Vs air with a naked diamond, hero is a 59/41 favorite.
vs a set, hero is a 65/35 dog.

It seems pretty close. Hero's +ev ( if it exists at all ) is maybe a percent or two. Call it plus $10 - $15, at best without knowing villain is some sort of skilled but wild lag. Hero is going to need a lot of air in villain's range to get better than a few percent +EV.

Here we see the power of big pair in a low SPR pot. Hero's speculative hand hits the flop hard, yet villain has an easy shove that eliminates hero's leverage. Not much for Hero to do.

Looks like a risk adverse puke, fold. Not a terrible place to stack off though. -=- DrStrange
Yea if this was Thursday when I had $1600 in front of me it would have been an easy gamble. Buying in for a respectable $300 really changes the dynamic.

In live cash spots where my EV is only a few % points above break-even, I don’t mind folding sometimes. Even if a call is always more technically correct.

Especially if I think that the villains are players I’ll likely get much better spots against soon.

Hold onto my stack for the juicy 80/20% situation coming up.

In a game where I’m a regular, and I’m going to see the same villains repeatedly, I might feel differently. Some indifferent calls help prevent me from getting exploited long-term.

In live cash spots where my EV is only a few % points above break-even, I don’t mind folding sometimes. Even if a call is always more technically correct.

Especially if I think that the villains are players I’ll likely get much better spots against soon.

Hold onto my stack for the juicy 80/20% situation coming up.

In a game where I’m a regular, and I’m going to see the same villains repeatedly, I might feel differently. Some indifferent calls help prevent me from getting exploited long-term.
Great way to put it.

I took your advice and decided to play less like a nit tonight.

Playing 5-handed I straddled the button after everyone agreed that the table needed to play looser. The previous 3 hands were straddled on the button so I decided to join.

UTG, who had racked his chips and announced he was leaving soon, raises to $15 and I see :qs::qh:. Now that I’ve listened to this group and I am less of a nit, with $360 behind I bump it to $40.

SB flats and UTG, sitting with $1200 behind, jams. I snap and SB folds.

Before the dealer spreads the flop I announce “Queens, this better be a race.” And he flips over :as::kc:

Flop :js::ts::4c:

Turn is :4s:

River is :7h:

Lesson of the day: straddle more, win more. Also, do not play out of the rack.

What exactly are you looking for advice on?

It seems to me that you called a 3-bet out of position with a marginal hand, spiked virtually the best flop you could reasonably hope for and folded anyway?

I think there's a case to be made for limping pre with a hand like this.

As to your river decision, if you're there solely to make the most mathematically correct play, as others have pointed out the difference is negligible.

Why did you include details about how your previous session went or the Villain getting a massage with his S.O. in the background? What is the relevance of any of that?

I would fold PF most of the time but call if we are 120/150BB deep.
As played call the jam, but I prefer to bet call the flop quite strong in order to make AK/AJ type hand which dominate me but can fold a nice bet.

Yes but, given the straddle it is not. When I play because pot get big quicker with Straddle I take this into consideration post-flop.

Let's say you have 500$ in a 1/2 game. Everyone cover you.
You can't play the same hands preflop like suited connectors if there is a straddle to 10$

Because with a raise and 2 calls you have already 90$ in the pot, 470$ left and your chances to draw cheap are slimer.
With the straddle high value cards broadway KJ+/TT+ goes up in value and suited connectors goes down.
That's is my reasoning in cashgame, not sure it is optimal.
And T9s is right in the grey aera with JTs

Yes but, given the straddle it is not. When I play because pot get big quicker with Straddle I take this into consideration post-flop.

Let's say you have 500$ in a 1/2 game. Everyone cover you.
You can't play the same hands preflop like suited connectors if there is a straddle to 10$

Because with a raise and 2 calls you have already 90$ in the pot, 470$ left and your chances to draw cheap are slimer.
With the straddle high value cards broadway KJ+/TT+ goes up in value and suited connectors goes down.
That's is my reasoning in cashgame, not sure it is optimal.
And T9s is right in the grey aera with JTs
Sure. I get that in a GTO world it isn't. $1/2 live isn't GTO though. I was probably one of only a few people the entire weekend who even knew what GTO was.

Wait. The OP said "weird message"

Soooooo is he getting a lap massage? I feel like you might have skipped the best part of the story...
View attachment 1321632
I wish it was that exciting. His lady was playing at another table and then busted and sat behind him and the masseuse was awkwardly having to work around her. What was even weirder was that she knew that this guy and the guy she massaged earlier were regulars and was overly intimate with both of them. Gave them both kisses on the side of the cheeks after they tipped her.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom