Are hot dogs (in buns) sandwiches? (3 Viewers)

Are hot dogs (in buns) sandwiches?

• Yes

Votes: 111 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 158 58.7%

• Total voters
Just had some hotdogs for lunch, and wondered what folks' opinions are on buns: toasted or untoasted?

Warm buns better than not. Toasting not necessary.

However.....

Side-split or top-split buns?

Meh. If you want to butter it and grill it, that’s a noticeable improvement. But merely toasting it seems like additional work for very little return.
This^ I mean butter fixes a lot of things and almost always improves the situation!

Warm buns better than not. Toasting not necessary.
One place near my house puts a slight steam on the buns and its nice, better than nothing but not completely necessary.

Top-split. Didn't even know side-split was a thing.
Seriously? Easily 90% of the hot dog buns sold in grocery stores here are side-split (with a top and bottom) vs top-split (with identical left-right halves).

Seriously? Easily 90% of the hot dog buns sold in grocery stores here are side-split (with a top and bottom) vs top-split (with identical left-right halves).
“Here”
Tell me you don’t live in New England . . .

IMG_0142.jpeg

I'm in the UK, remember. Side-split definitely isn't a "thing" here.

And fwiw, the definitive answer to

"Is a hot dog a sandwich?"

It depends. A hot dog is both a sandwich and not a sandwich.

By itself, in a package, on a roller, on the grill, in a pan of water, or on a plate (with or without baked beans or sauerkrout), a hot dog is not a sandwich.

But when placed into a bun (or between two slices of bread), a hot dog is transformed into a sandwich.... much like any other meat product.

Put it into a tortilla and it's a wrap (arguably still a sandwich, but not a hill I'm interested in fighting over). Grab a naked hot dog with your fist and shove it in your mouth (or other orafice) and it's just a hot dog, not a sandwich).

The Law of Relativity applies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom