How to practice chopping a pot? (1 Viewer)

tooth_doc

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all.
At our NLH tourney, I deal quite a bit. I enjoy dealing. I would love to get better/faster at handling big pots, chopped pots, etc. And figuring out multiway all in pots. I feel like I'm slow as molasses.
Any recommendations on how to practice this?
Thank you in advance.
Charlie

They have lots of tutorials on YouTube
giphy-6 (1).gif

Fully build all pots, main pot first. Then build each side pot in front of the player that is all in. Manage the chaos of people trying to claim pots by engaging only players competing for the pot in question and politely ignoring others. Resolve the last pot first. Start with biggest denoms when splitting, then move down to smaller denoms to manage making change. Imagine there is a camera above the table so all splits are visible. Make sure all players in each pot see and agree before awarding chips to players. Once you award chips, the hand is history so verbal confirmation is best to not have to unwind things if a problem occurs. Turn over losing hands after chips awarded as you work through the progression. Odd chips go to position. Practice to improve, and best of luck!

Last edited:
Fully build all pots, main pot first. Then build each side pot in front of the player that is all in. Manage the chaos of people trying to claim pots by engaging only players competing for the pot in question and politely ignoring others. Resolve the last pot first. Start with biggest denoms when splitting, then move down to smaller denoms to manage making change. Imagine there is a camera above the table so all splits are visible. Make sure all players in each pot see and agree before awarding chips to players. Once you award chips, the hand is history so verbal confirmation is best to not have to unwind things if a problem occurs. Turn over losing hands after chips awarded as you work through the progression. Odd chips go to position Practice to improve, and best of luck!
Love it. Can't wait to go it a go. Thanks

for all in pots, count down the shortest stack first, then count the same amount from all the other stacks in the middle. then take the all in and the same amount from everyone and put it in the main pot. (main pot is always to the left of the flop) then build side pots just to the right of where the river card will end up. And for multi way all ins, build the pots out going to the right. so first side pot just to the right of the river card. next side pot just to the right of that and so on.

for chopping pots, stack up all the chips in the pot by denom. then start with the highest denom and put all the even chips side by side in two separate piles, then go to the next highest denom and do the same, and so on. so if youre dealing with hundreds (H), quarters (Q), fives (F) and ones (O), it would look like this on the felt... one players gets everything on the left side, and one player gets everything on the right side.

H - H
Q - Q
F - F
O- O

if that makes any sense?

there is a dealer manual for the wsop explaining all this stuff. Not sure if they have it on any public websites. there was something like "wsop dealers and staff page that might have some dealing info.

for all in pots, count down the shortest stack first, then count the same amount from all the other stacks in the middle. then take the all in and the same amount from everyone and put it in the main pot. (main pot is always to the left of the flop) then build side pots just to the right of where the river card will end up. And for multi way all ins, build the pots out going to the right. so first side pot just to the right of the river card. next side pot just to the right of that and so on.

for chopping pots, stack up all the chips in the pot by denom. then start with the highest denom and put all the even chips side by side in two separate piles, then go to the next highest denom and do the same, and so on. so if youre dealing with hundreds (H), quarters (Q), fives (F) and ones (O), it would look like this on the felt... one players gets everything on the left side, and one player gets everything on the right side.

H - H
Q - Q
F - F
O- O

if that makes any sense?
Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Just start throwing chips at random players, even if they aren’t in the hand, it will be fine.

Also I’m drinking.

Chop the pot by chip count. Just make the stacks even without looking at the denoms. One pot $125 other pot $29. Who cares as long as stacks are even.

For those self-dealt games, sometimes it is very difficult to manipulate the pot if you have been dealing from an extreme position like table ends. It does help to get a more centrally placed player help with dividing pots (who is not in the hand).

When there are multiple all-ins usually everybody pays attention and the more math-minded will be able to calculate mains and sides.

I just make sure when there's a side pot I match the smallest stack's bet with the other player's and use that to make the main pot. Then anything left is the side pot. If there's multiple side pots, just repeat the process you did for the main pot for the "first" side pot, and the leftovers become the second side pot.

To chop quickly just stack like denominations, and then split them in half. Remember, if there's an odd smallest chip it goes to the dealer's left (i.e. whoever is first in action order)

Chopping cash games, don't rush. No blinds to fret, just match denominations. For tournaments, don't try and math, just match denominations like previously stated.

Folks will care more about you taking control and getting it right.

To get faster at awarding side pots: the math is your friend.

4 players to a flop, 1 of which is all-in for less than the total bet….. that player can win a maximum of his/her bet x 4 plus any folded dead money. What I do is state the amount aloud, count it out of the main pot, then pull in dead money… place that entire stack in front of the all-in player and the rest of the chips next to where the flop cards will go.

If there are multiple all-ins for less than the full bet size, I find it easiest to do the same as above but start with the smallest all-in stack. Then, when revealing the winning hands I start with the biggest stack/players remaining and award pots in order with the final reveal being the smallest stack/earliest all-in.

Start slow to ensure you are calculating these correctly, but over time you’ll get faster at doing the math in your head and making the pots right quickly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom