Phoenix Cardroom China Clay thoughts and opinions (1 Viewer)

vegechops

Waiting List
Reaction score
Anybody pick up this set or have any experience with them? Its a mid-price set I found in Canada. I can't seem to find any opinions about them online anywhere. I picked up a roll of 100s just to see how they felt in my hands. They are pretty nice though I have a bit of a tough time shuffling them (I'm assuming you gotta break these babies in over time). I am looking for a mid-ranged T100 tourney set but I have no experience with china clays.

They are about 38 cents (converted to USD) per chip, which is about my budget. And they ship free for a set.

They feel a bit like Milanos except the colors actually pop, the edges are more angular and I like the design compared to Milanos.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

This is where I got the roll:
https://www.straightpokersupplies.com/phoenix-cardroom-poker-chips-10g-chips-sold-by-the-roll.html

Attachments

• phoenix clay.jpg
    phoenix clay.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 166
First off, they're not "real compression molded clay". They're injection-molded plastic, like all the other so-called "china clays." Putting the less-than-honest marketing language aside, they're probably pretty good. The mold looks nice, and the design and colors are decent. I also like that they're 10g. I've never handled Milanos, but I've heard good things. If you don't want to wait for a set of Tina chips, they seem like a decent option.

Those are plastic, I don't think your going to do much 'breaking in' on those. Why did u have a hard time shuffling? They look slicker than frozen snot. I do love the generous number of times they used CLAY in their add though...i stopped counting after 8
1000025250.gif

I mean if you like the way they look and feel that's all that really matters and at 38c each there isn't much in that price range besides plastic. If you were willing to go up to around 50c per chip you would open up some of the Apache China clay chips (Royals, Majestics, Bank,...) as well as a stellar array of hybrid ceramics from another vender here called Broken Arrow (Justin). The web mold chips are fantastic and can be customized in almost unlimited ways. Again, If you really like the way the Phoenix Cardroom chips look and feel go for it, if you are willing to spend a little more, there are some fantastic options out there if you poke around.

Apache: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/

Broken Arrow: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/forums/broken-arrow-cardroom-supply.172/

First off, they're not "real compression molded clay". They're injection-molded plastic, like all the other so-called "china clays." Putting the less-than-honest marketing language aside, they're probably pretty good. The mold looks nice, and the design and colors are decent. I also like that they're 10g. I've never handled Milanos, but I've heard good things. If you don't want to wait for a set of Tina chips, they seem like a decent option.
I also dislike that everything on the market is called "clay". I was just using the classification that Jon Hobby uses ;)

Those are plastic, I don't think your going to do much 'breaking in' on those. Why did u have a hard time shuffling? They look slicker than frozen snot. I do love the generous number of times they used CLAY in their add though...i stopped counting after 8View attachment 1326687
They are surprisingly the opposite of slick. They have texture and are quite soft compared to the other samples I have (nothing top of the line mind you). I can absolutely shuffle them but there is some resistance when they are at a certain angle because of the edge texture.

I mean if you like the way they look and feel that's all that really matters and at 38c each there isn't much in that price range besides plastic. If you were willing to go up to around 50c per chip you would open up some of the Apache China clay chips (Royals, Majestics, Bank,...) as well as a stellar array of hybrid ceramics from another vender here called Broken Arrow (Justin). The web mold chips are fantastic and can be customized in almost unlimited ways. Again, If you really like the way the Phoenix Cardroom chips look and feel go for it, if you are willing to spend a little more, there are some fantastic options out there if you poke around.

Apache: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/

Broken Arrow: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/forums/broken-arrow-cardroom-supply.172/

Man I wish I was in the states for this group buy stuff. Shipping plus taxes over the border is gonna kill my wallet. Plus the waiting time is probably too long for me (maybe in the future).
Good point, if I like them, that's probably enough. I was looking at trying to get a small set of majestics but Apache is out of stock on some denominations.

Another question was the life span of these chips. From the samples I've gotten, ceramics look like they last forever. Whereas these are softer chips.

The description goes to great lengths to claim that these are really really “clay”:
  • Made with Real Compression Molded Clay
  • 10 Gram True Clay
  • Best clay chip available next to Paulson chips
  • Real clay 10 gram poker chips
  • Our brand new exclusive High-End True Clay
  • Revolutionary true clay compression molded manufacturing process
  • Unlike conventional poker chips that merely feature a clay composite, our chips are crafted using a proprietary blend of premium materials
  • True clay compression molding technique
  • High-End True Clay
That’s either a remarkable level of chutzpah, or there is something actually different about these chips. Pretty sure I really truly know the best answer.

The description goes to great lengths to claim that these are really really “clay”:
  • Made with Real Compression Molded Clay
  • 10 Gram True Clay
  • Best clay chip available next to Paulson chips
  • Real clay 10 gram poker chips
  • Our brand new exclusive High-End True Clay
  • Revolutionary true clay compression molded manufacturing process
  • Unlike conventional poker chips that merely feature a clay composite, our chips are crafted using a proprietary blend of premium materials
  • True clay compression molding technique
  • High-End True Clay
That’s either a remarkable level of chutzpah, or there is something actually different about these chips. Pretty sure I really truly know the best answer.
Well ya, it's marketing sadly. I agree with everyone here. There really should be some better way to describe chips other than "clay". Also the description that they are best next to Paulson's is a load of garbage.
It is almost impossible to find a chip set that isn't marketed as clay lol. Whatayagonnado....

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna sit on the idea of buying them for now. At the very least I'll post a review here if I ever do purchase so others can have a feel for them.

For now from the roll of 100s I got:
- They are the same sound and smell as the Milanos.
- They don't splash very easily (more slick than let's say Monte Carlos but less slick than Scrolls)
- 10g makes them feel pretty good and was a weight class I was targeting.
- Quality control seems amazing compared to Milanos.
- The colors are pretty bright. Though I have not seen the other denoms...
- They are quite affordable and are available as a Canadian option. (Because I know that is a problem for us North of the border).

Still curious if any Canadians have tried these and has an opinion.

My only complaint about the colors is that I’d prefer if the quarter were the darker blue with the orange spot, for more contrast with the $1 chip. But that’s a minor gripe.

My only complaint about the colors is that I’d prefer if the quarter were the darker blue with the orange spot, for more contrast with the $1 chip. But that’s a minor gripe.
ya I thought the same thing.

I'm gonna sit on the idea of buying them for now. At the very least I'll post a review here if I ever do purchase so others can have a feel for them.
Yes, this would be helpful information for some, be sure to include pictures.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna sit on the idea of buying them for now. At the very least I'll post a review here if I ever do purchase so others can have a feel for them.

For now from the roll of 100s I got:
- They are the same sound and smell as the Milanos.
- They don't splash very easily (more slick than let's say Monte Carlos but less slick than Scrolls)
- 10g makes them feel pretty good and was a weight class I was targeting.
- Quality control seems amazing compared to Milanos.
- The colors are pretty bright. Though I have not seen the other denoms...
- They are quite affordable and are available as a Canadian option. (Because I know that is a problem for us North of the border).

Still curious if any Canadians have tried these and has an opinion.
Have you tested the durability of them by chance? How tough are they compared to Milano chips?

- Dropped on edge of knife from 6 inches (flea bite test)
- Dropped from 4ft (shatter test)
- Dropped from 6ft (shatter test)
- Snapping the chips (bending/torsion test)

They do look nice. Not sure why so many people are obsessed with drop testing chips to be honest.
Who's going to spend money on something that's going to break if it falls off the table? That's a horrible investment, and a major waste of time if you were to put custom labels on them.

...and they cost $0.49, so breaking a couple is worth it to save other people hundreds of dollars.

I've just never seen a chip dropped from 6 feet, and when they fall off a table they never really drop hard enough for the ridiculous level of drop testing people do. It's silly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom