Previously murdered chips, inlay residue. (2 Viewers)

Timmah

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some nice $100 chips that have been previously murdered. The labels peeled up relatively easy. Some came off cleanly, but most of them left a residue. My question is, do I need to remove the residue since another inlay is going on? If I need to remove the residue, is this a nail polish remover time or should I scrape it off with an exacto flat blade?

image.jpg

You can try NPR on one of them to see if it works but if the residual is relatively flat, I don't think it'll affect the new label's appearance/adherence.

I'd scrape it off with a blade, especially around the edges.

FWIW - I have had good luck scraping off that residue with a #4 or #17 exacto blade.....

I did this same task recently. On the advice of a PCFer, I used Bestine, another solvent which does not discolor the clay so you don’t need to be as careful with it.

The Bestine pretty thoroughly dissolves any remaining glue, and makes it easy to scrape off traces of paper.

Definitely only use Bestine outdoors and with rubber gloves or other hand protection.

I would recommend removing most or all of the residue as even slight bumps can sometimes show through.

Removing what's left is the best option to avoid aesthetic problems with the new inlay. Try acetone-free nail polish remover and scrape flat with a cuter and/or needle.

I found the best thing to scrape the recess of paper or vinyl is….a sharp chisel.

Now, before you gasp, it’s a 1/4”-wide new chisel from a cheap set at Harbor Freight. I hold the edge flush to the bottom of the recess at a 45-degree angle and gently scrape, with short strokes. It’s like scraping a paper sticker off glass with a razor blade….as long as it’s flush to the surface and you don’t apply too much pressure, it shaves the inlay with no damage to the clay. A drop of nail polish remover while scraping can help.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom