Shed Poker (2 Viewers)

aurumity

High Hand
Reaction score
I was recently talking to some friends about those "house shipment" builds that you can order online. I've also been looking at houses in my area and have been seeing a good amount of nice-looking sheds/detached garages. Objectively, I know that for most places sheds aren't the best spot to host people but it got me thinking anyways. Also, I'm specifically talking about detached garages/sheds because I feel like a regular garage has the same benefits as hosting it in your basement. So I have a few questions:
  • Do you host in your shed - and is it out of necessity or preference?
    • If preference, why do you prefer it over hosting in the house?
  • What are some necessities besides heating & AC?
  • Is there anything specific that you can do to a shed that you can't do inside the house?
If you got some pics, drop em in here. I dig the setup that @Chris Manzoni has. The shed/wookshop vibe has always had a soft place in my heart.

I used to host in my detached garage. We had a nice propane heater for the winter and I ran the cable line out there for the TV. The main reason why I did it was to keep guests separated from the pit bull. She's never done anything, but with a pit bull I would rather not take any chances.

Curious about others input here too.. I plan on getting a large one (20x20 at least) in the backyard... mostly to separate the noise from the wife and better seating instead of fold-ups.

My buddy got one of those sheds specifically to be his man cave. He insulated it, drywall, flooring, electricity - the works. Giant TV - huge. Very nice.

One guy made a shed out of pallets and called his poker room “Caesar’s Pallets”. I thought that was clever.

My question for the shed poker people is this:

How do you handle bathroom issues? Do people pee outside, do you have a pee corner? Perhaps a funnel and some tubes leading out a window. What about #2s?

One guy made a shed out of pallets and called his poker room “Caesar’s Pallets”. I thought that was clever.

My question for the shed poker people is this:

How do you handle bathroom issues? Do people pee outside, do you have a pee corner? Perhaps a funnel and some tubes leading out a window. What about #2s?
I have a really nice heated Workshop that I wouldn't mind hosting in myself for big tournaments but the bathroom situation would make it difficult so instead I cram 3 tables in the basement where I have a kitchen and the bathroom

How do you handle bathroom issues?

I don’t host in a shed, but I do host in a renovated barn with no plumbing.

People pee outside. No one in the game has an issue with it. In fact I do it all the time while working on my property. I tell them to go anywhere but try to get a little distance please from the building…

If someone needs a real bathroom, I walk them up to the house. This has only actually happened once in several years of hosting in the barn.

Even for games in homes with multiple bathrooms, I think it is good poker etiquette to try to take your dumps before you arrive. Obviously this isn’t always the right timing but I do consider it when going to play anywhere.

I fit the criteria of a detached garage but I don’t really have the struggle most do with that situation. Equipped with a small bathroom. Just put a beast mini split in last summer (not one of those Home Depot DIY ones) and it has been an absolute game changer. Garages get brutally hot during summer in NorCal.
IMG_2176.jpeg

IMG_8095.jpeg
IMG_2736.jpeg
IMG_5916.jpeg
IMG_5967.jpeg

I host in my detached garage. I do it out there so the family doesn’t have to deal with the noise and what not, I probably don’t have enough room in the house anyway.
My players just pee outside unless the rare female is playing, which isn’t very often but they can use the inside bathroom. I have gas ran out there and a nice thermostat/heater for the winter. Summer time we just open the door and close the screen I have so bugs don’t get in.
We have cigarette smokers and I usually have cigars out for whoever wants one which wouldn’t be able to happen in the house. Plus I’d hate to think what my floors would look like in my house after all the spills/scuffs/whatever else you can think of that comes with a night of poker and beers

I play at my uncles game and he has what I would call a very large shed or third garage, insulated equipped with plumbing (bathroom/kitchen) fits 3/4 tables. It's no where near the house (he allows smoking inside) and it works out well.
Has two window ac units and a pellet stove. The kitchen is full sized with everything and the bathroom has a sink and a shower just in case.
He originally built it for a slaughter house during hunting season. Now he uses it for both. Has windows/doors/garage door. It's a really nice set up

I run my game in my detached garage which is just timber framing and steel walls. Concrete floor, no insulation or heating. In summer we just leave the roller door open and it’s cool enough. In winter, it gets pretty warm with 18 heavy duty guys in there. Although it can get a bit cold later in the night when we’re down to one table and getting towards the end of the night. Climate in Auckland, New Zealand is pretty mild throughout the year so works perfectly fine for us.

The regulars just bring an extra jacket/jumper when its extra cold. For toileting, everybody just goes outside in the garden or if they need to shit, they can go inside and use the throne.

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2076.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom