CPC Custom Mockup - Hotel Glenwood - wanting feedback/input (1 Viewer)

extreme517

Pair
Reaction score
Okay, I ordered color samples today so won't really get this dialed in at all until receiving samples. The goal is a simple cash set...25c/$1/$5/$20/$100. I know conceptually what I want to do, so just need to refine the inlay and play around with colors/edge spot patterns, etc. I'm not looking to be crazy over the top and I do think 3D14 is always a solid edge spot choice, so I anticipate most things changing quite a bit before getting locked in. I mainly wanted a roughed out inlay just to load in the chip tool and start to be able to play around. Any and all feedback regarding aesthetics is much appreciated! I will be tweaking fonts/graphics/colors, etc. so I know this is nowhere close to perfect as it sits.

The concept: Fantasy chip set from the Hotel Glenwood.

1) What if the Hotel Glenwood had produced a set of chips as a tribute to Doc Holliday before it burned down in 1945?

2) Doc lived out the tail end of his life at the Hotel Glenwood and could have played his last card games there.

3) HHR mold because it's historic, the horse theme can play into the Old West stories, and I like a heavily textured inlay. HHR stacks well and is a good, consistent quality mold. I like the H mold as well and it has a great history, but may have to save that for an eventual tourney set and/or secondary mold to mix in with this set.

4) My game is mostly 25c/50c, so the $1 is the workhorse. I thought making the $5 chip with maroon base as the huckleberry chip as it means business if it hits a pot. Maybe I need to move the maroon base to the $20 chip and use a butterscotch or yellow for the $5.

5) I'm not a big fan of a white $1 and don't want to go with grey either. Maybe the blue can play into the theme of the Glenwood hot springs as Doc moved there thinking the springs could offer some healing powers to his tuberculosis. I've thought about doing just a solid $1 chip, so may end up that way and could be quite a few base colors that could pull it off and maintain a clean, simple look and contrast between the quarter and either maroon or butterscotch $5. My sample set on the way will be a huge help in really dialing this in, but I know plenty of y'all have more samples/chips/experience so fire away with your ideas!

6) The quarter can be any color, though I am wanting to avoid dayglo base colors due to the weight and also wanting this set to feel a bit old school, so not really needing/wanting a lot of bright colors.
1714033153667.png

Last edited:
okay I think this set looks like a hodge podge and wouldn’t work well.

I would suggest a few things. Look through the gallery and also look through chip db, you need to get a better since of chip sets and what you like.

I would also suggest looking into a Cali set as it seems to be a Wild West type of theme. Also with a Cali base you can easily incorporate a blue 1.

I would look at setting a base color for all chips first. You say the 1 is a work horse but I think within a year or two the 5 will share the load. I would build around the 5.

Older sets will have more mono chips and a few high contrast inserts imo

Happy chipping

Here are some base colors that I think would work with your theme, no dayglow, but you are missing out on Dayglow Peach, which has a considerable following as the best CPC color! Also I like your theme

1714079287961.png

1714079298317.png

If you could consider 1 dayglow color here is where I would change the base colors (keep that daisy yellow in the mix!)

1714081689627.png

Chip progression also plays into over all cost, but you want each chip to be more exciting than the last.

Here is what I came up with, I do like the orange on your charcoal chip, but I'm already using it on the 5, I'd really push the dayglow peach.

1714084637840.png

There are other ways to get that old school feel, here is one of my favorite sets that I feel has that Older West feel, and the split spots are sexy to me.

1714084792891.png

This is great feedback. I'm excited to get my color samples in hand. I have some chips with dayglow peach spots and it's a great color. I'm a sucker for arc yellow as well and have solid arc yellow fracs in another set.

Okay, I ordered color samples today so won't really get this dialed in at all until receiving samples. The goal is a simple cash set...25c/$1/$5/$20/$100. I know conceptually what I want to do, so just need to refine the inlay and play around with colors/edge spot patterns, etc. I'm not looking to be crazy over the top and I do think 3D14 is always a solid edge spot choice, so I anticipate most things changing quite a bit before getting locked in. I mainly wanted a roughed out inlay just to load in the chip tool and start to be able to play around. Any and all feedback regarding aesthetics is much appreciated! I will be tweaking fonts/graphics/colors, etc. so I know this is nowhere close to perfect as it sits.

1) What if the Hotel Glenwood had produced a set of chips as a tribute to Doc Holliday before it burned down in 1945?

2) Doc lived out the tail end of his life at the Hotel Glenwood and could have played his last card games there.

3) HHR mold because it's historic, the horse theme can play into the Old West stories, and I like a heavily textured inlay. HHR stacks well and is a good, consistent quality mold. I like the H mold as well and it has a great history, but may have to save that for an eventual tourney set and/or secondary mold to mix in with this set.

4) My game is mostly 25c/50c, so the $1 is the workhorse. I thought making the $5 chip with maroon base as the huckleberry chip as it means business if it hits a pot. Maybe I need to move the maroon base to the $20 chip and use a butterscotch or yellow for the $5.

5) I'm not a big fan of a white $1 and don't want to go with grey either. Maybe the blue can play into the theme of the Glenwood hot springs as Doc moved there thinking the springs could offer some healing powers to his tuberculosis. I've thought about doing just a solid $1 chip, so may end up that way and could be quite a few base colors that could pull it off and maintain a clean, simple look and contrast between the quarter and either maroon or butterscotch $5. My sample set on the way will be a huge help in really dialing this in, but I know plenty of y'all have more samples/chips/experience so fire away with your ideas!

6) The quarter can be any color, though I am wanting to avoid dayglo base colors due to the weight and also wanting this set to feel a bit old school, so not really needing/wanting a lot of bright colors.
View attachment 1318021
Love this idea. Really cool. When I first saw your title and where you’re from, I thought it had to do with Glenwood, IA.

I'll be playing around with the inlay quite a bit more yet, but trying things out...I'll probably go with red or purple on the $5, but here's a Cali color just to try it on. I'm leaning toward scalloped inlays on the $5 and $20. Also, softening up the white background of the inlay...wanting more of a cream color rather than stark white. I'm not wanting it to be old/dirty looking, but rather warm/creamy/pearly. Not sure this shade is right yet, but whatever...it'll get there when it gets there. I might enlist a calligrapher friend of mine to do some hand lettering.

1714117048149.png
1714117588340.png

1714117646780.png
1714117685128.png

1714117780085.png
1714117812430.png

Alright, I don't have my color samples yet and the inlay will be getting refined, but here's something...25c/$1/$5/$20/$100...and let's be honest, $100 is never hitting the table and I might not even run a $100 chip.

1714363510857.png

Or throw a simple spot on the $1 chip? (I think I might prefer it just a plain solid.)

1714363989336.png

Or is 3V12 really the better choice over 2V12 for the $20? And I'm generally not a fan of white spots, but is that what the $5 needs?

1714364862935.png

Attachments

• 1714364680461.png
    1714364680461.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Try a 314 maroon spot on the butterscotch. And then keep it 3 spots, so 100% the 3v12.

Great line up with the red and white 5 imo

Definitely better in my opinion. I'm not sure I'm vibing with the $20 personally. Seems a bit detached from the rest of the set.

The frac through $5 definitely have potential together!

Not sure if it would be better, but you could try 3D14 $20 and 4DS416 $100.
1714370501238.png

1714370921842.png

1714372050390.png

Last edited:
So far this is the best 20, this insert would work on a 5 but higher cost. (this is my insert for my 5)

1714370501238.png

Now you're making progress! BUT your $1 work horse has changed, you need to find the chip that you really like and put it in cement so you can build around it, a $5 would work too. I don't like red but I think so far the red and yellow 5 has been the best.

My latest set on order doesn't really have a hundo, kinda does but I only ordered like 20 of them. Ordering in batches can cause slight differences in color, but ordering diff chip you'll never be able to tell that there is a difference.

This is a good line up except that 20, it has high contrast but the colors feel like they clash. (That is how I feel about it, and well you're not letting me spend your money are ya? ;P )

1714391670083.png

I think solids work for fracs, and tourney chips, but should likely put a simple insert and you can use another blue

Pink would look nice on the yellow as well, just ideals I wouldn't run these inserts side by side

1714392019205.png

View attachment 1318021

Individually I like all of the chips. I don't think they necessarily go together very well. I see dirty stack issues all over the place. Please find a way to acquire a full color sample set.

I say don't wonder too far off the beaten path! This has potential
Screenshot_20240429_090133_Samsung Internet.jpg

The problem is and why folks are saying the $25 feels out of place is because you are following a "pastel" pallet from the break! If you are going this way... it's gotta flow!

Personally I like both of those $5s... the issue is we want to get that pastel purple into that $25 slot and right now we can't because we used it up on the $5.

Lots of ways to go here, but those two line ups look the best thus far, but I don't think that dark purple $25 is going to work... it feels forced and against the grain. Maybe Pink/Green on the top $5 there with the split spots... I know that increases the cost, but then the light purple and tie that blue from the $1 in.

We all have different ideas of what works and doesn't... and continuing down the path of Pastel I feel is pulling away from the "retro" throwback concept. I like Horse Heads also but obsessed with Lefts (which are extremely difficult to find) as far as my "throw back concept"
20240223_123613.jpg

Very neutral colors that don't have a ton of "pop" to them, but I am also limited to what is available... I can't have chips made.

Also I know the idea is "throwback, retro" but the inlay design doesn't scream old school... it looks fresh and that's not a bad thing. I think with that inlay design the Pastel line up should work very well! I guess just 2 separate ideas trying to overlap here and not sure you can pick both!

Best of luck, tons of help on the forum here with folks that have a much better grasp than my own... just wanted to share my opinion.

Fellow Chipper Ben

I say don't wonder too far off the beaten path! This has potential
View attachment 1320314
The problem is and why folks are saying the $25 feels out of place is because you are following a "pastel" pallet from the break! If you are going this way... it's gotta flow!

Personally I like both of those $5s... the issue is we want to get that pastel purple into that $25 slot and right now we can't because we used it up on the $5.

Lots of ways to go here, but those two line ups look the best thus far, but I don't think that dark purple $25 is going to work... it feels forced and against the grain. Maybe Pink/Green on the top $5 there with the split spots... I know that increases the cost, but then the light purple and tie that blue from the $1 in.

We all have different ideas of what works and doesn't... and continuing down the path of Pastel I feel is pulling away from the "retro" throwback concept. I like Horse Heads also but obsessed with Lefts (which are extremely difficult to find) as far as my "throw back concept"
View attachment 1320318
Very neutral colors that don't have a ton of "pop" to them, but I am also limited to what is available... I can't have chips made.

Also I know the idea is "throwback, retro" but the inlay design doesn't scream old school... it looks fresh and that's not a bad thing. I think with that inlay design the Pastel line up should work very well! I guess just 2 separate ideas trying to overlap here and not sure you can pick both!

Best of luck, tons of help on the forum here with folks that have a much better grasp than my own... just wanted to share my opinion.

Fellow Chipper Ben
Ben, that is all great feedback. Yes, maybe starting to diverge conceptually...go Cali pastels and maybe change the inlay or stick to muted throwback/retro. I'm sure it will help a lot when I receive my color samples I ordered last week.

My color sample set is in hand! I'm thinking I need to oil the edges to really get a feel for how these will mix/match, but these are nice.

I don't want a white $1 and have been struggling to find a blue $1 that is more than just tolerable. So, I'm thinking I may try something completely different with the inlay and go with a Cali lineup. I don't have a single color duplicated anywhere across the 5 chips below, and building around the 3D14 spot as it looks great and mainly will be $1 and $5 chips in play. I don't see a reason to go to a 4D14 for the $20 chip and then go back to a 3-spot type of pattern for the $100 with the 3TA316, so just going with it. Stacks will have good contrast and edge spots that make these all work in my opinion. Feel free to crush my dreams though!

I see this set most often getting used for small single table PLO games, .25/.50 blinds. I think a good cash game should have 3 denoms in play generally and then a large chip as needed, so I want each chip to feel nice on it's own. I don't really need the $100 chip, but can quickly add to the bank to give the set some flexibility without having racks and racks and racks (but I see myself reordering and filling the set out over time!).

1714547109043.png

I'm undecided on the blue base color to use. I already have a set with a light blue $1, so wanted to go with a darker blue. But, the light blue offers more contrast with the spots and might work better against the red and yellow? In low lighting playing cards, I kind of hate darker blue chips as they almost look black. Maybe I am answering my own question and firming up that light blue is the move for the $1 base color. (I'll surf the forum looking for table shots of other peoples' blue $1 sets in action.)

1714546895911.png

Last edited:
Unoiled chips and bad lighting (that canary yellow is especially coming across funky in the photos), but I like the contrast within each chip and across the chips. The red is a nice simple quarter, the blue feels light, but fun with the arc yellow pop, the yellow is softened by the muted spot colors, and the blurple is bold in every way. Base colors are all weighted...Mandarin Red / Light Blue / Canary Yellow / Blurple:

IMG_20240501_022608347_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240501_022640953_HDR~2.jpg

1714549948330.png

Last edited:
Working on inlay ideas...$20 blurple. (Now to knock out the rest...)

1714625423195.png

Last edited:
Okay, new inlay concept...still a tip of the cap to Doc Holliday...There is a building in Tombstone, AZ built in 1881 that still stands and is currently a bed & breakfast called the Silver Nugget. Daisy backdrop on all chips except $20 chip has huckleberry backdrop. Each chip is bold in it's own way and no repeating colors across the entire set. (And I left myself weighted base colors lavender, pink, orange and all weighted greens if I want to come back later and pick up a 50c denom or any other options...$2 / $10 / $25 / $500, etc.

1714974050388.png

color samples.png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom