Looking for China Clay chips with square / sharp edges (2 Viewers)

bryceguy

High Hand
Reaction score
I like the sharp square edges on classic Paulson chips but I also like the colorful budget chips ( < $0.50 per chip) like the China clays at Apache Poker Chips. However, all the China clays I've seen have beveled / rounded edges. Does there exist a "best of both worlds" chip that is colorful, budget, AND has square edges?

I second this question. The only ones I've encountered are the knock-off Dunes, they're pretty sharp but they're not well textured so they are very slippery in a stack.

IMO - Apache Royals are the best China Clay. Im selling my cash set, link below.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/apache-royal-cash-set.117648/
They might be, but I wouldn’t say they have sharp edges. (Royals on the right)
IMG_0063.png

I don't think there's any such animal out there.

Just checked and the sharpest edge CCs I have are the old PI 8Vs

Attachments

• IMG_1748.jpeg
    IMG_1748.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 29
I don't think there has been a sharp-edged china clay. CPS chips were beveled I believe, as well as the PGI and Apache ones. I wonder if they would be more prone to breakage if the edges weren't beveled.

Mark

It's probably the injection mold process on something as small as a poker chip where it's more difficult to get a square edge. The more premium manufacturers like Abbiati like use a post-mold process to get squarer edges, like lathing. I don't know for sure.

The old “spirit mold” China clays probably have the sharpest edges, and overall, look, feel, and sound most like actual compressed clay chips.

The HUGE downside is that they are fragile as heck. They will flake, chip, and snap easily.

That said, chips and games.com has some in stock.

https://chipsandgames.com/collectio...y-no-metal-insert-poker-chips-set-of-50-chips

View attachment 1318750
Those are great especially at 50 chips for $5 or 10 cents a chip, can't beat that. But unfortunately that website only has denominations 10, 500, and 5000. I am looking for 25, 100, 500.

Those are great especially at 50 chips for $5 or 10 cents a chip, can't beat that. But unfortunately that website only has denominations 10, 500, and 5000. I am looking for 25, 100, 500.

They’re very easy to relabel.

Indeed they are but relabeling won't change the chip colors. 25's are green and 100's are black and I would like to preserve those universally accepted denomination colors in my home set.
Gotcha.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom