$1 Kenmore Lanes ASM Restoration Project (1 Viewer)

themadnessbeast

Sitting Out
Reaction score
After seeing a Chip Room post about showing off everyones entire purchases from the legendary Chip Room sales (Black Friday/4th of July, etc), I decided to go through my collection and remembered I had some unfinished business with almost all of my Kenmore Lanes chips. I'm sure most of us were licking our chops when The Chip Room would launch a sale, but we also knew we had to get our cleaning supplies on deck. One thing I totally regret was not doing research on cleaning ASM chips. I'd use the same method on Paulsons (Oxy clean/warm water) and had great results, but when it came to tossing in a barrel of Kenmore $1s, it was a horrific sight. I also noticed poor results on Bud Jones Chips as well. (The cleaning solution faded the colors).
IMG_3273.jpeg

IMG_3272.jpeg

IMG_3275.jpeg

IMG_3276.jpeg

I used 3 methods of scraping off the excess powdered/fuzzy clay substance: Potato Peeler, Razor/Scraper Blade, and a Sheet of 600 grit sandpaper.
I started off with the sides of the chip and proceeded to the top and bottom. Be sure to scrape away from the chip starting from the outer part of the inlay. The potato peeler took off one of the inlays with ease.
IMG_3277.jpeg

I didn't get all of the fuzzy stuff off but this is just a trial run that I am sure can be improved on.
IMG_3278.jpeg

I then mixed a tablespoon each of baking soda and coconut oil to make a goo gone concoction and applied a small amount to the entire chip. Let it sit for a minute or 2 and then work in the goo with a microfiber cloth. Proceed to wiping the chip off with a warm, damp cloth.
IMG_3279.jpeg

Fairly happy with the results as I honestly thought these chips couldn't be salvaged. About 20 more to go and I'll see how they shuffle. Their sound definitely came back.
IMG_3280.jpeg

IMG_3281.jpeg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom