10 Seats v. 8 Seats - What's Up? (2 Viewers)

merkong

Flush
Reaction score
Ok community, in the ever-evolving world of hosting a regular game and ensuring its viability etc, etc, I am considering taking my regularly spread, weekly game down to an 8 seat event.

There’s actually some thought process behind this. I am considering another ellipse build and with 8 seats it’s ridiculously playable. The 10 seat ellipse I built with the 5 inch rail was minusculely snug on the ends. I like the footprint for my space. I would build a second 8 seat ellipse in the event I held a tourney.

While I’ve long abandoned the whole “full tables are best” mentality, if I choose to spread a shorter table there’s always confusion why I didn’t go deeper into my invite list which at present is around 45 players. As Skipper it’s what I feel is right for the night but the two vacant spots invokes thoughts on the matter. “I know that guy from my work who’s been wanting to check us out.” Well, bully for him lol.

I actually prefer a little shorter table. I don’t think I’ll build a six seat and change it out when I feel like an even shorter table is what’s on the menu but I do know hosts that play six seats and have six seat tables.

Anyways, who spreads an 8 seat (or shorter) game by design. Who has an 8 seat (or shorter) table?

Go.

merkong

Ok community, in the ever-evolving world of hosting a regular game and ensuring its viability etc, etc, I am considering taking my regularly spread, weekly game down to an 8 seat event.

There’s actually some thought process behind this. I am considering another ellipse build and with 8 seats it’s ridiculously playable. The 10 seat ellipse I built with the 5 inch rail was minusculely snug on the ends. I like the footprint for my space. I would build a second 8 seat ellipse in the event I held a tourney.

While I’ve long abandoned the whole “full tables are best” mentality, if I choose to spread a shorter table there’s always confusion why I didn’t go deeper into my invite list which at present is around 45 players. As Skipper it’s what I feel is right for the night but the two vacant spots invokes thoughts on the matter. “I know that guy from my work who’s been wanting to check us out.” Well, bully for him lol.

I actually prefer a little shorter table. I don’t think I’ll build a six seat and change it out when I feel like an even shorter table is what’s on the menu but I do know hosts that play six seats and have six seat tables.

Anyways, who spreads an 8 seat (or shorter) game by design. Who has an 8 seat (or shorter) table?

Go.

merkong

I have a super-elliptical table, intended for 8 players, sometimes plus a dealer.

Regardless of table size, I think 8 handed makes for a better game—both in terms of comfort and actual gameplay.

10 players allows nits to fold forever and wait for premiums. 8 requires players to enter more pots, without it becoming as hectic as 6-handed.

8 is also usually more social, as all the players can see and relate to each other. 10-handed, I find the table tends to split in half, with the players at each end conversing among themselves and those in the middle kind of isolated.

And of course 8 means much more space, more elbow and leg room, better visibility, less crowding.

Plus, it’s obviously much easier for hosts to secure 8 than 10 regularly. If you have interest from more, that just encourages early reservations and arrivals. Having a late arrival/waiting list is a good thing.

Last edited:
I have a super-elliptical table, intended for 8 players, sometimes plus a dealer.

Regardless of table size, I think 8 handed makes for a better game—both in terms of comfort and actual gameplay.

10 players allows nits to fold forever and wait for premiums. 8 requires players to enter more pots, without it becoming as hectic as 6-handed.

8 is also usually more social, as all the players can see and relate to each other. 10-handed, I find the table tends to split in half, with the players at each end conversing among themselves and those in the middle kind of isolated.

And of course 8 means much more space, more elbow and leg room, better visibility, less crowding.

Plus, it’s obviously much easier for hosts to secure 8 than 10 regularly. If you have interest from more, that just encourages early reservations and arrivals. Having a late arrival/waiting list is a good thing.
Enough with the hard sell! lol

You’ve articulated all of the things, and a few additional, that is driving this decision. Thanks for the input.

Apparently, I’m not alone. Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, I think 8 is optimal for game flow. It sounds crazy, but being in position more often really opens the game up for everyone, unless you are a true NIT. Hand selection should open up a bit, and the pace of play moves with it. I've generally changed my monthly tournament to tables of 8, unless I get more than 36 players in which case I have to fill the extra seats. (I only have 4 tables). Our cash game generally plays 10 handed, only because we don't really have enough players for a second table, and there's always 9-10 that want to play. I wish we could get 2 cash tables running (1 NLHE/PLO and 1 circus).

10. Fight me.
Usually found it is the gamboolers that like shorter games. Can't get full tables to fold to overplays, so lose, and then demand short games where they feel more in control.
Okay, okay, am stiring... a bit. Let's hug it out.

I actually like 9.

I build all of my rental tables to be for 8 players, but for some reason when I use them for hosting my own games, we seat 9 players at each tables as max. The more players you have at the table, the more tight players get because of the better hands out there.

I would argue 6* is best if you want to play a lot of hands. 7 works too but 8 is definitely my max.

*assuming these players will indefinitely rebuy or don't turn into pumpkins earlier than when you want to stop playing.
Same feels here, at a 9-10 player table you are kind of forced to play in line. 7-8 is my comfort zone. Enough that if a player cancels or leaves early the game won't break.

I mostly host Steelers choice games. I prefer six to eight player tables
Terry Bradshaw GIF by E!

Same feels here, at a 9-10 player table you are kind of forced to play in line. 7-8 is my comfort zone. Enough that if a player cancels or leaves early the game won't break.

I recently played a seven-handed NLHE table that was a lot of fun, way better than a full take

Everything here is perfect.
I have an 8 person “pub table” from Gorilla. It’s an oval, but it’s a short, wide oval - at 66” x 46” it feels closer to a circle than an oval. So you don’t get that social split where you have two separate groups on opposite ends of the table.
Also if you’re self-dealing, it’s very doable, whearas self dealing on a big 10 person oval is a challenge.

I’m very comfortable playing 10 handed. I agree that 8-handed is better for a variety of games (and necessary for some) but I don’t have an issue with adapting my play to 10-handed. It’s actually a lot easier, because position and hand selection are more important. But regardless of gameplay (which I agree is better 8-handed, even for Holdem) I think 8-handed is a far superior social experience.

I recently played a seven-handed NLHE table that was a lot of fun, way better than a full take
FWIW, my games are 7-handed NLHE more often than anything else and we have lots of fun.

There’s actually some thought process behind this. I am considering another ellipse build and with 8 seats it’s ridiculously playable. The 10 seat ellipse I built with the 5 inch rail wasINNER JOIN ON minusculely snug on the ends. I like the footprint for my space. I would build a second 8 seat ellipse in the event I held a tourney.

Go.

merkong
I am also seriously considering an 8-seat table as my main table in the near future. (And yes I would probably consult with you on this.)

If I were to rank game size, 8 is probably my favorite. 8 > 9 > 7 > 6 > 10 > 5 or so. My current 10-seat table is tight in my space.

I think 10 handed games lose engagements and if you are playing well, you are playing less and waiting more. That said, I think a lot of players have the perception that more players = more money. But I think it's better to cultivate a culture where players just understand multiple buy-ins is part of cash play. (And I think the majority of your players understand this.)

The only weird thing I can think about an 8 seated design is that it would tend to be "square" (2 players on each of four sides) or otherwise you do a single player on each end (which makes it tempting to flatten the ends instead of rounding) with 3 players on each side. So if you pursue, this I will be very curious about how you space it.

I am also seriously considering an 8-seat table as my main table in the near future. (And yes I would probably consult with you on this.)

If I were to rank game size, 8 is probably my favorite. 8 > 9 > 7 > 6 > 10 > 5 or so. My current 10-seat table is tight in my space.

I think 10 handed games lose engagements and if you are playing well, you are playing less and waiting more. That said, I think a lot of players have the perception that more players = more money. But I think it's better to cultivate a culture where players just understand multiple buy-ins is part of cash play. (And I think the majority of your players understand this.)

The only weird thing I can think about an 8 seated design is that it would tend to be "square" (2 players on each of four sides) or otherwise you do a single player on each end (which makes it tempting to flatten the ends instead of rounding) with 3 players on each side. So if you pursue, this I will be very curious about how you space it.
FWIW, this is where Gorilla puts their cupholders for their stubby 8 person pub table. I imagine an ellipsis would be different though.
IMG_0252.jpeg

FWIW, this is where Gorilla puts their cupholders for their stubby 8 person pub table. I imagine an ellipsis would be different though.
View attachment 1329615
I did take a long look at this a few years ago. I remember these were about $600 at the time.

One thing in @merkong 's space is dealing his home game from the center is part of the experience, so I think a 3-1-3-1 design is going to be better. So assuming the players sit between the cupholders, this might be a tad awkward for what @merkong wants.

So assuming the players sit between the cupholders, this might be a tad awkward for what @merkong wants.
That’s another thing that matters less than you’d think. We usually sit centered on the cup holders. If we’re playing with 7 or 6, people might spread out a bit. It barely matters because there will always be a cup holder nearby and not everybody uses one anyway.

That’s another thing that matters less than you’d think. We usually sit centered on the cup holders. If we’re playing with 7 or 6, people might spread out a bit. It barely matters because there will always be a cup holder nearby and not everybody uses one anyway.
I do know first hand, I cannot deal around a cupholder. THere has been some growth in my midsection, however, since the lockdowns :P.

Am I the only one that sits at a poker table, alone when I have time to kill, working on my shuffling and dealing???

-- don't answer that, I am sure I am...

Seriously though, practice it, watch videos on it. It's quite easy to do and I can pitch cards with ease from one end of my 10 person table to the other with little issue. My only issue is when I'm in the 9/2 or 4/7 seat, trying to deal to the 2/9 or 7/4 seat when people put their blinds or hands out. I can still get it over/around 90% of the time. yeah .. I "practice" that too.

Sitting a poker table shuffling and pitching cards sometimes clears my mind.

Am I the only one that sits at a poker table, alone when I have time to kill, working on my shuffling and dealing???

Seriously though, practice it, watch videos on it. It's quite easy to do and I can pitch cards with ease from one end of my 10 person table to the other with little issue. My only issue is when I'm in the 9/2 or 4/7 seat, trying to deal to the 2/9 or 7/4 seat when people put their blinds or hands out. I can still get it over/around 90% of the time. yeah .. I "practice" that too.

Sometimes I do an orbit of hands and play different positions every hand just to switch mindsets a bit between meetings.

I am sure I'm an above average dealer (I've had pros compliment my attention to details), and yes, once in a while I will do this if I have my table out.

That said, last time I did a center deal when we were seated behind cupholders, I found my pitch was forced higher than comfortable with a drink in place, and reaching to scoop chips without my arm bashing my drink somewhat challenging. (It was a taller bottle of water IIRC, FWIW.)

All I was saying with regards to @upNdown 's Gorilla table, is if you sit between the cupholders, the main dealer is off center. If you sit behind the cupholders, you have an ever present obstacle. So I was just musing that maybe an oval cut flat at each end might be a way to facilitate 3-1-3-1 seating and maintain a "center spot."

Go.

merkong
I completely agree with your thought process. I would rather have less people money on the table with more arm room (I am a high-calorie person) than be squished in and taking down more money in the pot.

Go.

merkong
I personally prefer the 8 seat game mainly for the spacing factor.

8 is optimal, especially because I am a big fan of big o (can’t play more than 8) and because my table has 8 cup holders. Many times, however, I invite 9 because squirrels will be squirrels (to cover last minute bailing or someone that needs to leave early).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom