10c/20c --> 25c/25c advice + port royals (3 Viewers)

Natuie

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Alright I need some help and advice from the experts. So me and my mates currently play $20 buy in 10/20, so 100 big blinds. I think this structure works great for us and the buy in is a perfect amount but here's my problem. I want to buy a proper set (probably 300-500 pcs) for our game. The trouble is almost every set I like doesn't have a 10c chip but 25c chips.

So I wanted to ask if you guys think we'd be alright to play with 80bb? not only is this upping our big blind but also our small blind. How would this impact the game? Would the game go quicker? Also is there anything I can do to adjust the game to fit our buy in with 25/25?

I want to buy a set with 3 denominations. It'll either be 10c/$1/$5 or 25c/$1/$5. The second is obviously better but I'm not sure how it'd play being 80bb. Also I'd prefer to buy a 300 than a 500 set and that'd obviously be better with the second option. We usually play 8 handed with a few rebuys.

On another point, I was looking at buying the port royals (https://www.jackspoker.com.au/port-royal-full-range) in these denominations. What do you think? How's the quality of port royals, anyone bought them before? Do you think it'd get confusing since they're all white/red/pink (similar)?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.
1729420193747.png
1729420175121.png
1729420072792.png

So I wanted to ask if you guys think we'd be alright to play with 80bb? not only is this upping our big blind but also our small blind. How would this impact the game? Would the game go quicker? Also is there anything I can do to adjust the game to fit our buy in with 25/25?
Just change the buyin to $25 if you prefer a 100bb buyin stack.

Having the same SB = BB will not change the game much, but having a shorter bb stack size will.

I want to buy a set with 3 denominations. It'll either be 10c/$1/$5 or 25c/$1/$5. The second is obviously better but I'm not sure how it'd play being 80bb. Also I'd prefer to buy a 300 than a 500 set and that'd obviously be better with the second option. We usually play 8 handed with a few rebuys.
If you want to go 300 chips, you have to go with 4 denominations.

25c x 100
$1 x 100
$5 x 80
$25 x 20

But 300 chips just make people play too tight and also not very "fun" to play.

If you can afford more budget with 4 denominations, go this

25c x 100
$1 x 200
$5 x 80
$25 x 20

If you insist on only 3 denominations, go this

25c x 100
$1 x 200
$5 x 200

I was looking at buying the port royals (https://www.jackspoker.com.au/port-royal-full-range) in these denominations. What do you think? How's the quality of port royals, anyone bought them before? Do you think it'd get confusing since they're all white/red/pink (similar)?
They are way overpriced for the quality, but if you only using them as tools rather than collecting. They will work for any poker game.

I think the colour differences is good enough and also having just 300-500 chips set mean everyone is handling only 20-40 chips on average most of the times which minimize the chances of dirty stack.

Last edited:
How “deep” a game plays is affected more by how much the players are willing to wager than how many big blinds they have in their stack. If you’re playing .10/.20, but you allow straddles, and a typical pre-flop open is $1, or maybe even $2, then upping the blinds won’t change a thing. If there’s tons of limping, and people raise to 30¢, raising the stakes will make a difference.

We have a regular home game, $100 max. We had been playing .25/.50, but just stopped giving out quarters because most opens were $3+, and there’s often a straddle and even straddle on. Raising the blinds to 1/1 had almost no effect on the game, other than making stacks and pots easier to count.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom