7-2 Game in a Home Tournament? (1 Viewer)

pocketJs

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Planning to host a single-table tournament with my typical group. Likely 8-handed. This will be our first real tournament, as we normally just play a cash game. In our cash game, we always play with the 7-2 game in effect because my players love it. Any advice on ways to incorporate the 7-2 game into a tournament? Or does that clash with fundamental spirit/structure of a tournament?

We recently did bomb pots in the tournament and it went smooth.

You could do 7-2 in a tourney and someone wins with it everyone has to give up a BB.

Purists will say no, but I think it can work.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn’t play any sort of “twists” in a tournament. I don’t like things in tourney play like 7-2, Show Me Chips etc. Cash games are a different story. Still never used a Show Me Chip and probably never will.

Only cash games IMO. I know my apes would be pissed if they're short stack, past rebuy period and have to give up another heavy BB late in the tourney cause some big stack decided to mess around. I could see that being really frustrating if you're just tryna hold on and play the orbit and that hits the table.

We had a Star Wars-themed bounty hunter tourney a few years ago. Low dollar, bonus for costumes, etc. I had several different hand bounties. Those bounties came out of the main prize pool. It was fun for this game in particular, which was kind of a circus anyway.

1723813196994.png

We had a Star Wars-themed bounty hunter tourney a few years ago. Low dollar, bonus for costumes, etc. I had several different hand bounties. Those bounties came out of the main prize pool. It was fun for this game in particular, which was kind of a circus anyway.

View attachment 1373586
I don’t hate that. Screenshotting.

View attachment 1373586
Saved this photo. Some great ideas there for our next May the 4th tournament.

7-2 is fine, but it would be best taken from the prize pool. Either $x set side and divided up for each 7-2 or $x set aside and awarded to the player that earned the most 7-2 pots. I prefer the latter, and if tied by more than 2 players, chop it between the two highest tied finishers in the tournament.

I would also bring about a cut-off: 7-2 bonus ends when the bubble breaks. As fewer players remain it becomes much easier to bluff with a 7-2, especially when blinds are high and many hands never see a flop.

For tourneys, I would do small bounty bounty amount per player: size of small blind instead of big blind.

Saved this photo. Some great ideas there for our next May the 4th tournament.

7-2 is fine, but it would be best taken from the prize pool. Either $x set side and divided up for each 7-2 or $x set aside and awarded to the player that earned the most 7-2 pots. I prefer the latter, and if tied by more than 2 players, chop it between the two highest tied finishers in the tournament.

I would also bring about a cut-off: 7-2 bonus ends when the bubble breaks. As fewer players remain it becomes much easier to bluff with a 7-2, especially when blinds are high and many hands never see a flop.
Maybe during the rebuy period only? I really like the idea about money coming out of the prize pool!

We have a 7-2 reward for each tourney game. Guys enjoy it and it does not significantly take away from normal game play.

It’s a one-and-done. First guy to win and show 7-2 earns the reward. For the remainder of the tourney, it’s off. If no one wins it, it goes into the payouts at end of the night.

It is often won in the first few levels, as players are less likely to play the hand when deeper in the tournament.

Awesome suggestions here! Thanks everyone. I like the idea of starting with it when we are 8-handed, but cutting it off either at a certain level or once 1-2 people have won it (whichever is sooner). And also allocating a piece of the prize pot so that it doesn’t mess with anyone’s stacks.

In case anyone was curious how this worked out: we tested it 8-handed on Friday. 7-2 was in effect for the first 90 minutes of the tournament, with the winner taking a $25 bounty out of the prize pool. No one actually won with 7-2, but it led to some fun bluffs and light calls - and still didn’t really affect the tournament outcome because the blinds were small enough to start. The group seemed to really dig it! Will likely be a staple going forward.

Thanks again all for your suggestions.

View attachment 1373586
Some nice fun twists in there. Kudos for thinking outside the box.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom