AUS - Adivce/sanity check. Building a small stake cash set (2 Viewers)

Bobo5050

Reaction score
Hi all

Another day, another middle aged man deciding it's that time in his life to start hosting home poker games.

Rushed out and grabbed a second hand poker table on marketplace and it came with the Jacks Poker Aus design chips . Unfortunately the lowest dinominatoin is $1 so i'll sell them on.

This will be for fun so don't want to get out of control with the stakes. i was thinking 10c/10c or 10c/20c depending on the group and their comfort level, cap buyins/rebuy to 3, so no one can lose more than 30/60 bucks . Maybe occasionally or over time move it up, but i think this is a good starting point.

Will likely be between 6-10 players.

I was originally going to just buy up a basic microstake set. But thought it would be fun to build a ceramic set around AUD currency, thought it might also be good for newer players to track their stacks easier. Plus i wasn't very fond of the feel of the Jacks Poker set. I think it's some kind of plastic/clay with a metal slug. would prefer 10g chips.

Based on this logic i've looked at Pokershop.com.au, iconic poker supplies and Jack's poker. I have also read throughout the forum of the group buy for ceramic chips, but i'm not familiar with the process and unsure if it would even be worthwhile with shipping to AUS.

In summary: I would like to get some advice of denomination and quantities of chips. And if anyone in Australia has experience buying ceramics, is it worth trying to do a group buy or just order custom locally?

Also What would be the best breakdown of chip how many chips to order based on the following values?

10c coin (chip) - 20c coin (chip) - 50c coin (chip) - $1 - $5 note (plaque)- $10 note (plaque)

G'Day!

The Jack Aus Currency design does go down to the denominations in cents, but as you said I believe that they are plastics with metal slugs throughout the set. I have ordered custom ceramics directly through SunFly and have ordered a stock design through a US Group Buy, but the shipping price is pretty expensive for both. It really depends on whether you like the feel of ceramics. I haven't regretted either purchase. Once your messages open up, I am happy to go over my experience with the two types of orders with you if you are interested.

When it comes to denominations, there are some good reads on here:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-optimal-chip-break-down.113118/

My group started on a 10c/25c, but it was from one of those 1000 chip sets you can order off eBay or amazon with about 200 of each of the smaller denoms. Given your group is small, I guess you would have to think about the experience - if you think that your group would like to play with lots of chips, you order more of the smaller denominations, but this will come at the cost of larger chips and would therefore cap how much the set could allow you to play. If you have fewer smaller denoms, this allows you to have more flexibility with increasing the stakes down the line, but might be less enjoyable as an experience of they like bigger stacks to play with. It's something to consider, particularly if you decide to go custom as the shipping can get expensive.

Probably not all that much help, but it's always good to see another Aussie on the site!

Hi all

Another day, another middle aged man deciding it's that time in his life to start hosting home poker games.

Rushed out and grabbed a second hand poker table on marketplace and it came with the Jacks Poker Aus design chips . Unfortunately the lowest dinominatoin is $1 so i'll sell them on.

This will be for fun so don't want to get out of control with the stakes. i was thinking 10c/10c or 10c/20c depending on the group and their comfort level, cap buyins/rebuy to 3, so no one can lose more than 30/60 bucks . Maybe occasionally or over time move it up, but i think this is a good starting point.

Will likely be between 6-10 players.

I was originally going to just buy up a basic microstake set. But thought it would be fun to build a ceramic set around AUD currency, thought it might also be good for newer players to track their stacks easier. Plus i wasn't very fond of the feel of the Jacks Poker set. I think it's some kind of plastic/clay with a metal slug. would prefer 10g chips.

Based on this logic i've looked at Pokershop.com.au, iconic poker supplies and Jack's poker. I have also read throughout the forum of the group buy for ceramic chips, but i'm not familiar with the process and unsure if it would even be worthwhile with shipping to AUS.

In summary: I would like to get some advice of denomination and quantities of chips. And if anyone in Australia has experience buying ceramics, is it worth trying to do a group buy or just order custom locally?

Also What would be the best breakdown of chip how many chips to order based on the following values?

10c coin (chip) - 20c coin (chip) - 50c coin (chip) - $1 - $5 note (plaque)- $10 note (plaque)
Do 4-5x between each denom or you’ll end up spending money on unnecessary chips.

20c or 25c/$1/$5/$20 or $25 for instance

If doing a 10c base, 10c/50c/$2/$10 is another possible route but it might weird some people out (myself included).

I would then rather sidestep the 4/5x rule and do 10c/50c/$1/$5/$20 or $25

Do 4-5x between each denom or you’ll end up spending money on unnecessary chips.

20c or 25c/$1/$5/$20 or $25 for instance

If doing a 10c base, 10c/50c/$2/$10 is another possible route but it might weird some people out (myself included).

I would then rather sidestep the 4/5x rule and do 10c/50c/$1/$5/$20 or $25
Yes i'm having a bit of a tricky time since there's no 25cent coin in AUD currency and $2 does feel a bit odd.

i think i will go with your suggestion and 10c/50c/$1 for chips and top up with some $5 and $20 plaques.

The below should cover 10c/10c and if we progress to 10c/20c games assuming i max out 10 plays?

200 - 10c chips
200 - 50c chips
200 - $1 chips
30 - $5 plaques
20 - $20 Plaques

G'Day!

The Jack Aus Currency design does go down to the denominations in cents, but as you said I believe that they are plastics with metal slugs throughout the set. I have ordered custom ceramics directly through SunFly and have ordered a stock design through a US Group Buy, but the shipping price is pretty expensive for both. It really depends on whether you like the feel of ceramics. I haven't regretted either purchase. Once your messages open up, I am happy to go over my experience with the two types of orders with you if you are interested.

When it comes to denominations, there are some good reads on here:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-optimal-chip-break-down.113118/

My group started on a 10c/25c, but it was from one of those 1000 chip sets you can order off eBay or amazon with about 200 of each of the smaller denoms. Given your group is small, I guess you would have to think about the experience - if you think that your group would like to play with lots of chips, you order more of the smaller denominations, but this will come at the cost of larger chips and would therefore cap how much the set could allow you to play. If you have fewer smaller denoms, this allows you to have more flexibility with increasing the stakes down the line, but might be less enjoyable as an experience of they like bigger stacks to play with. It's something to consider, particularly if you decide to go custom as the shipping can get expensive.

Probably not all that much help, but it's always good to see another Aussie on the site!
Thanks for all the info mate.

Was there a reason you went OS with the shipping cost instead of going with some of the local custom ceramic options? I haven't look too far in but the pricing seems ok. Was it a quality decision?

You could just go with 20c chips and play .2/.2, it plays the exact same as .1/.2, but you do lose a little flexibility in your micro stakes.

Then you could do a setup like 120/200/200/80. (20c/1/5/20 or 25)

You could just go with 20c chips and play .2/.2, it plays the exact same as .1/.2, but you do lose a little flexibility in your micro stakes.

Then you could do a setup like 120/200/200/80. (20c/1/5/20 or 25)
I think i have just have to make peace with the idea behind this set/theme really only working for .1/.1 - .1/.2 - .2/.4 and it can't really scale.

I see your point on scaling, but the flexibility within microstates is probably the sword i'll have to die on.

Reason being i want to have plaque represent AUD notes, and chips to represent AUD coins. So it won't really scale as plaques are expensive and i just wanted to use a few for high domination within the context of the stakes for some fun.

If for whatever reason i occasionally play higher stakes, i might just buy some cheaper chips to get by. Since i think .1/.1 and .1/.2 will be the bread and butter.

Do you think you will really play a lot of 10c/10c? If you are mostly playing 10c/20c, consider a base 20c as 20c/20c plays same as 10c/20c. (I see that in AUD there is a 20c coin, so this is in line with your desire to mimic currency).

If you expect to max out at 10 players, then you don't need 200 of the lowest denom. 100 should be sufficient. As for plaques, maybe just get them for the $20 to save money.

This set is for sale and would fit perfect whether you go for base 10c or base 20c. Sunfly are premium consumer ceramics and this is a good price for them, especially for 43mm.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...reakdown-ready-for-your-custom-labels.124315/

You can also do custom ceramics through Broken Arrow and BR Pro Poker (both vendors here on PCF and great to work with). I think you will find ceramics superior to any of the cheap plastic sluggos like you first considered.

Good luck!

Yes i'm having a bit of a tricky time since there's no 25cent coin in AUD currency and $2 does feel a bit odd.

i think i will go with your suggestion and 10c/50c/$1 for chips and top up with some $5 and $20 plaques.

The below should cover 10c/10c and if we progress to 10c/20c games assuming i max out 10 plays?

200 - 10c chips
200 - 50c chips
200 - $1 chips
30 - $5 plaques
20 - $20 Plaques

Thanks for all the info mate.

Was there a reason you went OS with the shipping cost instead of going with some of the local custom ceramic options? I haven't look too far in but the pricing seems ok. Was it a quality decision?
For the direct Sunfly order, quality and time were the benefits in my opinion. It was a fully custom set, where I commissioned a custom design from a member here on PCF, so it was faster to do the order myself through Sunfly than having to rely on a local company like Jacks. Sunfly has a good reputation on this site for quality, which has been confirmed through my own experience.

PokerShop seems to be cheaper in the custom chips, but I have no experience with them. I mention the cost of shipping mainly because it presents as really large, and all prices are usually quoted in USD. Once you total everything and convert to AUD, the cost is actually pretty comparable to Jacks at least. Really it just depends on how easy you want things to be - going through a company would probably be easier, but a little slower.

One thing to keep in mind is that going with an Aussie company is beneficial if your order is over $1000. Ordering yourself with a value over $1000 triggers import tax, which you have to pay on top of your order.

It's quite the rabbit hole to go down haha!

This set is for sale and would fit perfect whether you go for base 10c or base 20c. Sunfly are premium consumer ceramics and this is a good price for them, especially for 43mm.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...reakdown-ready-for-your-custom-labels.124315/

Thank you for the tag of my ad! This is, indeed, a high quality ceramic set. Just last week we were playing with Imperial Plaza SunFly 43mm chips and there was widespread agreement among all players (including many chippers) that they felt and played very well.

If you've got at least an inkling of a custom design, use your prefered label manufacturer to make them - and they are ready to go!

Do you think you will really play a lot of 10c/10c? If you are mostly playing 10c/20c, consider a base 20c as 20c/20c plays same as 10c/20c. (I see that in AUD there is a 20c coin, so this is in line with your desire to mimic currency).

If you expect to max out at 10 players, then you don't need 200 of the lowest denom. 100 should be sufficient. As for plaques, maybe just get them for the $20 to save money.

You can also do custom ceramics through Broken Arrow and BR Pro Poker (both vendors here on PCF and great to work with). I think you will find ceramics superior to any of the cheap plastic sluggos like you first considered.

Good luck!
That's an excellent suggestion and deal for the OP

I think for chips breakdown, either of the following

100x $0.10 (salmon)
200x $0.50 (deep rose)
200x $1 (blue)
80x $5 (yellow)
20x $20 (black)

100x $0.10 (salmon)
200x $0.50 (deep rose)
200x $2 (blue)
80x $10 (yellow)
20x $50 (black)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom