Best starting set? (1 Viewer)

dezzy7

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Reddit brought me here and said it was the best place for advice.

I'm relatively new to poker and have just been using a cheap ~$60 set of slugged chips that you can get off Amazon. I want to invest in a decent set of chips but not one that totally breaks the bank and am looking for tips and suggestions. What characteristics indicate a good chip? Where are some good vendors that ship to Canada?

After a little bit of research it seems like china clay or ceramic would be what I'm looking for in my price range. I had found the Majestic chips from Apache but they seem to have mixed reviews. I was told group buys would probably be the place to get the best bang for my buck. I was wondering where I would navigate to see where all available groups buys on PCF?

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to reply :)

We always recommend getting samples. It’s much better to spend a few bucks getting chips to see what you like and don’t like rather than spending hundreds and being unhappy.

I have a set of majestics from Apache and I love them. They’re a great starter and I don’t regret it at all.

A lot of people recommend Tina’s (the group buys you heard about) since they’re pretty high quality for a low price. Check out some of those threads to see if there’s anything that catches your eye.

Once you found something you like, get samples, and check back here for suggested chipset breakdowns :)

welcome! start here, come back with any more specific questions:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-start-here.85303/

I was wondering where I would navigate to see where all available groups buys on PCF?

in general here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/#marketplace-vendors.20

and here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/forums/group-buys.26/

for the best one i know of now, here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...d-cards-mold-textured-no-mold-08-2024.121583/

Last edited:
What doesn't break the bank? What's your budget?

A lot of people where will say Tina hybrids are best bang for your buck. I think they're around .75 CAD each shipped, EH.

Get samples.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually eyeing up those Dune ones.

Saw a guide for chip sets here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ut-a-cash-game-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/
I was just going to buy the following:
5c/10c Mapping - $20 Max Buy In for 200 Big Blinds

Chip Denominations

5c/25c/$1/$5/$20

Max Buy In Starting Stacks

10x 5c (50c)
18x 25c ($4.50)
15x $1 ($15)

Chips Needed - 500 Total Chips

100x 5c ($5)
200x 25c ($50)
150x $1 ($150)
25x $5 ($125)
25x $20 ($500)

Total Bank: $830

You think this would be a worthwhile purchase or should I chill out and find something else for a starter?

What doesn't break the bank? What's your budget?

A lot of people where will say Tina hybrids are best bang for your buck. I think they're around .75 CAD each shipped, EH.

Get samples.
I don't really have an exact budget. I'm still doing research and learning a lot about chips. All I want is about 500 chips of decent quality. I'd say probably $400 max with shipping and all but could see myself spending a bit more if I think its worth it.

I was scoping out the Dune chips from this group buy: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...d-cards-mold-textured-no-mold-08-2024.121583/

Not 100% sure what the shipping cost to Canada would be, but they are so sexy I might just be willing to spend the extra money, EH

Welcome to the site. I would suggest one of the Tina chips, great value for a first set.

I use mine a couple times a year and juat used them camping. I am always impressed for the price paid.

Samples samples sample!

What you see on screen can look and feel completely different in your hands. Take your time and do plenty of research. Oh and did I say get samples?

Justin offers samples for the different molds, suggest getting samples beforehand, don’t spend too long either…the abyss is deep here… good luck hunting!

Welcome to the community !
Take your time to discover the various options available here.

I ignored the samples advice, due to impatience and also shipping costs to Canada for small lots makes it seem not worth it. Ended up buying and selling multiple sets before landing on what I liked, which ended up being WAY more costly....

Just so I'm not making a false assumption here......you've been a member for less than a day??

Assuming so...DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FOR AT LEAST A MONTH!!! And in that time read, learn, and get samples!!!
Just to be clear, I've been a lurker for a bit but just decided to make an account when I was gonna actually buy something. But I have heard a lot that samples are key. So I will probably chill out and buy some samples first

I ignored the samples advice, due to impatience and also shipping costs to Canada for small lots makes it seem not worth it. Ended up buying and selling multiple sets before landing on what I liked, which ended up being WAY more costly....
Good to know. I was going to ignore the sample advice as well but too many people are emphasized that, it's too stupid to ignore that advice.

Not 100% sure what the shipping cost to Canada would be, but they are so sexy I might just be willing to spend the extra money, EH
Do you live close to the border? Mail service PO box helps if you can drive across to pick it up. Lots of us on the left side do this...

We always recommend getting samples. It’s much better to spend a few bucks getting chips to see what you like and don’t like rather than spending hundreds and being unhappy.

I have a set of majestics from Apache and I love them. They’re a great starter and I don’t regret it at all.

A lot of people recommend Tina’s (the group buys you heard about) since they’re pretty high quality for a low price. Check out some of those threads to see if there’s anything that catches your eye.

Once you found something you like, get samples, and check back here for suggested chipset breakdowns :)
A great starter??? They are my upgraded chips...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom