Bowling Thread (2 Viewers)

btbmason

Flush
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few people mention bowling in other threads, so I figured I’d start up a dedicated thread for all of the bowlers out there.

Casual, league, tournament, whatever you do, post about bowling here!

I took about a 20 year hiatus from the sport due to some injuries and just got back into it a little more competitively last year after filling in as a league sub.

Looking to start up some practice again soon during the summer and jump into a fall league or two this year.

Local house has $1 games on Wednesdays, still knocking off a little rust but got one decent game out of it.

IMG_4562.jpeg

Very nice after a long hiatus! What’s in your arsenal?

I used to bowl 3 to 4 times a week but now lucky to get out weekly.

PB: 299 (2x)
Series: 784

IMG_0060.jpeg

Very nice after a long hiatus! What’s in your arsenal?

I used to bowl 3 to 4 times a week but now lucky to get out weekly.

PB: 299 (2x)
Series: 784

Those 299s always hurt, but still great scores! What were the leaves?

Right now I only have a Storm IQ Tour and a spare ball (Storm Ice) that are close to properly fitted. I’m still trying to get my pitch and span right after some weight gain and breaking my middle finger toward the end of last season.

I also have a Global 900 Wolverine Dark Moss which has the thumb plugged for two-handed. It’s really just a practice ball to get timing/release down to see if I want to move that direction like a lot of people have been doing lately.

I think I’ll be picking up something from Motiv if my body holds up through summer practice sessions and I end up in a league this year. It’s a really dry house so maybe a Hyper Venom, and I can stick with the IQ Tour when there’s a little more oil.

I’ve taken the budget-friendly approach until I see exactly how much I want to get back into the sport. Kind of the opposite of poker chips where I just jump in and overspend.

I left a solid 8 and a 7. I’m a lefty.

I got the Brunswick Evo Response as my main ball on heavier oil and Brunswick Total Inferno for light oil. I just grabbed a Storm Mix for my spare ball.

You hit me square in my roundhouse, well my family really. I come from a family with three hall of fame bowlers, which does not include me. I averaged 201 during my last two years of bowling, nothing compared to my little brother who averaged 240 during his highlight years, had 77 sanctioned 300 games, high series of 858. Local legend league bowler in my home town. My dad and older bro both recognized in the hall too though not as illustrious as my younger bro. Dad posthumously, older brother more for his contributions than his bowling but pretty damn good nonetheless. My personal high game is 288, series 747.

Started bowling league in the summer about 13 years ago and was using my buddies old equipment. Was more of a fun thing to do, then about 3 years ago we started to bowl winter league. What a shock that was! Finally invested in some brand new equipment that was actually drilled for me and have been bowling both summer and winter leagues the last 3 years. Slowly getting better with my average sitting at 155 and finally got my first 600 series last winter with a 618. New goal for summer is 650 or better. High game is 242 looking to get 250 or higher this year as well. Current equipment is Roto Grip TNT and Storm Summit, also have a Idol Cosmos but haven't used it much recently.

Got a random package from a friend the other day... @Nuhockey aka Mike sends a chip with a message saying "I saw this chip and immediately thought of you and said Ben's gotta have this! Boobies and Bowling... what more could you want on a chip!"
20240702_052453.jpg

Normally change them out for foam capper but going to leave it as is and try it in the next game Mike! Thanks brother!!

For the record I got tagged in the thread because we went bowling @Irish Meet up. Bowled a 173 and 126... but also haven't touched a ball in 15 years! I miss it and definitely brought back memories... may even get back into it down the road.

When I league bowled earlier in life I earned 3 - 300 patches and 826 was my best set.

Favorite ball is a Global Missing Link 16 lb... though I was never a single team ball kind of guy. Pretty much one of everything including old school urethane 15 lb. Roto grip Grenade (pops was old school urethane raised on Hammers and we bowled together for years on a father/son league).

Fantastic sport, hopefully one day my old crusty ass will return to. My retired buddy at the track is playing on a couple leagues now and trying to get me back into it.

Fellow Chipper
Ben

... though I was never a single team ball kind of guy.
This has actually been one of my struggles in coming back after such a long break from the sport. In my late teens I was on a regional staff where I was contractually only allowed to throw one brand. Now I’m older and nobody cares what I throw, but I’ve always had that “team” mentality engraved in my head.

I started up again and immediately bought a “nostalgia” ball that was kind of a modified remake of an old line, and it was a terrible decision. There are a lot of changes between brands and technology in 20 years.

Right now I’m just trying a little bit from every brand, but since I’m on a budget I’ve only gotten 1 brand new ball per season. I did a couple trades and picked up used ones during last season, but plugged/redrilled never quite rolls the same for me.

With brands of Brunswick and Storm/SPI for the last two years, I want to give Motiv a fair shot this year if I stay with it. I can say that it’s highly unlikely that I’ll go back to throwing any of the brands of Brunswick.

Hopefully you find you way back to it @Ben8257 ! If my body would let me (and if my kids would let me) I’d be on the lanes every day.

This has actually been one of my struggles in coming back after such a long break from the sport. In my late teens I was on a regional staff where I was contractually only allowed to throw one brand. Now I’m older and nobody cares what I throw, but I’ve always had that “team” mentality engraved in my head.

I started up again and immediately bought a “nostalgia” ball that was kind of a modified remake of an old line, and it was a terrible decision. There are a lot of changes between brands and technology in 20 years.

Right now I’m just trying a little bit from every brand, but since I’m on a budget I’ve only gotten 1 brand new ball per season. I did a couple trades and picked up used ones during last season, but plugged/redrilled never quite rolls the same for me.

With brands of Brunswick and Storm/SPI for the last two years, I want to give Motiv a fair shot this year if I stay with it. I can say that it’s highly unlikely that I’ll go back to throwing any of the brands of Brunswick.

Hopefully you find you way back to it @Ben8257 ! If my body would let me (and if my kids would let me) I’d be on the lanes every day.
I have never even heard of Motiv... gonna check that out. Last big one to hit the scene when I was bowling was DV8 (yeah aging myself) and I have a couple of theirs... didn't stay in the bag long. Personally found more control in some of the Brumswick balls. The DV8s hit like hammers but very tricky navigating in oil.

As far as plugged balls... no thanks! I have tried several over the years and don't care what anyone says... the weight isn't the same and throws the balance off... you have absolutely no idea how that ball originally tracked. I would rather buy a ball from a couple years prior at a cheaper price, than go the used ball route.

Still a good thread and hope in time to add a few posts! Lol

I have never even heard of Motiv... gonna check that out. Last big one to hit the scene when I was bowling was DV8 (yeah aging myself) and I have a couple of theirs... didn't stay in the bag long. Personally found more control in some of the Brumswick balls. The DV8s hit like hammers but very tricky navigating in oil.
DV8 is one of the Brunswick-owned brands, along with Track, Hammer, Ebonite, Columbia 300, Radical, and I’m probably forgetting something else. There’s a bunch. DV8 has trailed off a bit, but there is just so much variety now that some years certain sub-brands take a back seat, then generally the parent company throws them back to the front with a new release when they start to slip.

Motiv I believe was born when Brunswick moved their manufacturing to Mexico, a few of their employees split off from the brand to start their own US-based company. They’ve got a few very prominent professionals on staff, including arguably the best one-handed bowler out there in EJ Tackett.

You’d probably do pretty well jumping back in now, urethane is incredibly popular again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom