Tourney Budget Mystery Bounty Tournament - Payout Ideas? (1 Viewer)

Choketastic

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hi all. Been browsing and admiring for years but not posted yet. As title suggests I would like some advice on the payout structure for a mystery bounty tournament:unsure:

UK based, we play a weekly friendly pub game with a mix of noobs and experienced players who would like to play a mystery bounty. We play a standard single KO bounty and the players LOVE IT!:love: The problem we have is the average turnout is low (but growing), with anywhere from between 14-20 players and the buy in is a mere £10+£10 with equal split between prize pool and bounties. It's a fun social night, not massively competitve. Similar to RedTooth Poker for those that know :)

My current plan: at the start put the prizes into envelopes away from sight and then assign a prize at random to each number for every player in play. Players pick a random number from the list and get handed that envelope when exchanging bounty chip. They do not get to see the envelopes to try and guess the prize.
Rules:
- Players cannot let others know their prize until the end.
- Players can choose whenever to exchange their bounty.
- Tournament organiser who will also be playing and knows the prizes, can only get the remaining bounties leftover (or a player chooses for them if they need to leave early).

We average 16 players, £160 so this is roughly what I was thinking:
1= £40
2= £30
3= £25
4= £20
5= £20
6= £15
7= £1 Scratchcard
8= £1 Scratchcard
9= £1 Scratchcard
10= £1 Scratchcard
11= £1 Scratchcard
12= £1 Scratchcard
13= £1 Scratchcard
14= £1 Scratchcard
15= £1 Scratchcard
16= £1 Scratchcard

We are a very humble group and winning £50+ is a big poker win for many new players in the group. Whilst it pales into comparison with some of the games posted here, we still want to make it work :) Any advice on improvements?

Cool and creative. I definitely would want the tournament organizer and player to be part of it, why cant you just fully randomize? No numbers, everyone gets an envelope with a slip of paper they themselves can read when they arrive. Same game but theres not the element of the host targetting a big bounty.

Most mystery bounty tournaments only give bounties later in the tournament. If you want to do bounties for every player with a high top bounty, I'd do the following:

For the first 12 players:
6x £5
3x £10
2x £20
1x Top Bounty

The Top Bounty starts at £20 for every player beyond the first 12, add another £5 bounty and add £5 to the top bounty. This would mean a £30-60 for the top bounty for 14-20 players.

Cool and creative. I definitely would want the tournament organizer and player to be part of it, why cant you just fully randomize? No numbers, everyone gets an envelope with a slip of paper they themselves can read when they arrive. Same game but theres not the element of the host targetting a big bounty.
Thanks for the compliment and input :)

I figured if the host gets the leftover bounties there is no chance they can fix it but I guess some kinda collusion can occur. Thanks for the idea I will fine tune so host has no chance of fixing :tup:

Most mystery bounty tournaments only give bounties later in the tournament. If you want to do bounties for every player with a high top bounty, I'd do the following:

For the first 12 players:
6x £5
3x £10
2x £20
1x Top Bounty

The Top Bounty starts at £20 for every player beyond the first 12, add another £5 bounty and add £5 to the top bounty. This would mean a £30-60 for the top bounty for 14-20 players.

My original idea was to have only the final table pay bounties but I feel like the casual players will not like missing out on the action as they are often the first players to get felted.

Please forgive me as I'm trying to rack my brain around the prize pool hereo_O

Could you please make a list showing how you would do your style payout? :)

This is what I thought:

14 players: 8x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £30
15 players: 9x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £35
16 players: 10x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £40
17 players: 11x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £45
18 players: 12x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £50
19 players: 13x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £55
20 players: 14x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £60

If you don't want such a large top bounty with a lot of players, you can take £5 from the top bounty and change a £5 bounty to a £10. Say you wanted to cap the highest bounty at £50, you could do:

19 players: 12x £5, 4x £10, 2x £20, 1x £50
20 players: 12x £5, 5x £10, 2x £20, 1x £50

Hopefully this works for you, or if not that you're in a better position to develop a system that works for you. I've never set one up or played one, but I feel these give enough excitement with the high bounties while keeping the others a good prize for knocking somebody out.

This is what I thought:

14 players: 8x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £30
15 players: 9x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £35
16 players: 10x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £40
17 players: 11x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £45
18 players: 12x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £50
19 players: 13x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £55
20 players: 14x £5, 3x £10, 2x £20, 1x £60

If you don't want such a large top bounty with a lot of players, you can take £5 from the top bounty and change a £5 bounty to a £10. Say you wanted to cap the highest bounty at £50, you could do:

19 players: 12x £5, 4x £10, 2x £20, 1x £50
20 players: 12x £5, 5x £10, 2x £20, 1x £50

Hopefully this works for you, or if not that you're in a better position to develop a system that works for you. I've never set one up or played one, but I feel these give enough excitement with the high bounties while keeping the others a good prize for knocking somebody out.
Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply :)
Your structure is very straight forward when you write it out and the advantage to this is it's easier to map out for others when I can't host:tup:
Thanks for taking the time to write it out, hopefully others benefit as well :cool

No problem! Again, I do not have personal experience, but I would think this is a good balance between a large enough bounty to be excited for while having a large enough prize for small ones. It also creates a system so the players know what to expect the bounties to be and not feel like it's entirely up to what you decide for the evening.

To prepare beforehand, have sheets of paper (not cash, since it could more easily be spotted) in envelopes. Assuming there's no cap on the top bounty, separate the top six bounties (£10, £20, and Top Bounty) envelopes from the stack of £5. The night of, add in a £5 for each player beyond the first six that play, shuffle them, and it's ready to run.

Let me know how it goes!

Sound like a nice plan! I have a mystery bounty tournament planned this sunday.

The mystery bounty is received when you bust someone.

This is the first time we try something like this, ill update after sunday how it went.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom