Bushwood Country Club – CPC MD-50 Cash Set (4 Viewers)

BruceWayne

Flush
Reaction score
“Gambling is illegal at Bushwood, sir…”

Well, not anymore!

IMG_8891.jpeg

IMG_8935.jpeg

IMG_8910.jpeg

Since admiring numerous custom sets while lurking and then ultimately joining PCF, I always figured I’d take the plunge myself. Well, it took some time. This is 3+ years in the making for a custom idea I couldn’t get out of my head. Never thought I’d commit to it, but here we are.

Special gratitude to my panel of experts. Thank you for answering countless questions, looking at endless amounts of mockups, providing constant and honest feedback, educating me on the history of old school chipping, making me think, and ultimately, getting me comfortable enough to push this endeavor across the finish line. Most importantly, really appreciate you guys giving me your time. I hope you enjoy this as much as I am.

My (Cinderella) story…

So I’m watching the cinematic classic Caddyshack for the millionth time, while thinking about how easily it could make a fun chip set, and all of a sudden I recalled the Lakeshore Inn chips (with golf ball inlay, “Resort & Country Club”)…and then this scene comes on with the two members playing cards in the locker room, and it hits me… country club lifestyle and gambling! Not a Caddyshack specific set, but a Bushwood set!

1725587266107.png

Caddyshack was inspired by writer and co-star Brian Doyle-Murray's memories of working as a caddie at Indian Hill Club in Winnetka, Illinois. His brothers Bill and John, along with director Harold Ramis also had worked as caddies when they were teenagers. Many of the characters in the film were based on characters they had encountered through their various experiences at the club.

In my youth, I caddied at a prestigious Chicagoland club myself. Aside from the 5am wake-up calls, I absolutely loved the job and the experience. That included the variety of people that were encountered as a part of that job (many types that were featured in the film).

Part of my basement is themed after the movie, and I pretty much know every line in the film, quoting it regularly. My family loves it, my friends, co-workers – everyone!

Now you will say this is a movie themed set, and that’s fine. That wasn’t my approach though. My intent was really to honor and embrace the film and its iconic characters within the framework of the fictional setting and club. The entire build process, I just found myself asking over and over again, if Bushwood was a real place, and had chips – what would they look like?

Well, here is your answer.

Era: The film takes place in 1980, but the chips were designed to predate that (Note: an off-white background was used on this set to give the chips an added touch of old school).

Wants/Needs:
  • Retro, old school
  • Bend the rules of standard colors, get away from the basics, especially...
    • no true blue or white 1, no red 5
    • toned down colors, let the MD50 mold help
      • explore 70s/80s pastels with just a bit of color flair
  • edge spots to be one secondary color for simplicity
  • 2 different inlays, A-side and B-side
  • The frac to be different from the 1-5-20

Chip/Inlay inspirations (borrowed images, can remove if required)

Jessie Beck’s Riverside crest was a major reference point for me knowing that the Bushwood crest was going to be my lead design part by getting the branding across like an actual club would. But little did I know Granny’s 1/4pie 1, pinkish 5 and blue 25 would unintentionally correlate more than I would have figured early on.

In addition, these chips sold me on having two different inlays (thus utilizing a denom side format similar to one of my favorite custom sets of all time, the Clermont Lounge solid cash set).

Lastly, Kifer’s Cabana Inn stamp (which I find to be his best), drove me to select the Bushwood crest for stamping, seeing all the detail and 3D layering that was achievable.

1725587386811.png

The Bushwood chip lineup is ordered by the character association socioeconomic status (which was another constant thought when thinking through character influences and organizing this set).

25₵ Spot Pattern: 212

Colors: Light Green/Light Chocolate

Movie inspiration: Carl Spackler - Asst greenskeeper, dirty job making very little money

1725587457758.png

The most difficult for me to create and ultimately the last chip that was finalized. I became obsessed with the “mint chip” light green and chocolate combos I saw, and thought it oozed a retro vibe. It just took some time to know that it was the right fit to earthy/outdoorsy/dirty/natural Carl. Honestly, I don’t think there was another choice. I’m very happy with how it turned out and sets up the rest of the lineup. Yup, this color combo is indeed retro. Very retro. The gold foil perfectly added to the old look. Just so cool in person.

$1 Spot Pattern: ¼ Pie

Colors: Canary/Light Blue

Movie inspiration: Lou Loomis - Caddiemaster, "normal” job

1725587611018.png

An easy chip to pick colors for, but the ¼ pie selection did not come until very late in the process. So unique!

$5 Spot Pattern: 3v12

Colors: Pink/White/Pink

Movie inspiration: Judge Smeils – Snobby, wealthy Co-founder of Bushwood C.C.

1725587662968.png

The set was built around this chip. I knew I had to have a tacky 80s pink base chip associated with this rich jerk. I ADORE this chip, like I knew I would.

$20 Spot Pattern: 4TA181418

Colors: Dayglo Peacock/Dayglo Yellow/Retro Red/Bright White

Movie Inspiration: Al Czervik – richer than rich, business real estate developer

1725587729434.png

The movie slogan is, “Some people just don’t belong”

Insert Al Czervik

Obnoxious, loud and flat out ludicrous – especially with his attire. This chip was created to be a little more extravagant, or odd/off/different, featuring extra pizazz and a spot pattern that kinda mimics those God-awful pants.

I watched an interview for the movie where Rodney Dangerfield talks about his attire. He mentions being a loud fellow that invades a nice, sensitive country club and clashes with Judge Smeils...where they don't see eye-to-eye on many things... a good enough explanation to think outside the box on this value chip.

It was tough to create any of Al’s wild looks, but I think this one was certainly the right choice for a variety of reasons. Gosh is this chip a stunner in person. When I opened the box for these, I literally said whoa out loud.

IMG_8954.jpeg
IMG_8944.jpeg
IMG_8946.jpeg
IMG_8947.jpeg
IMG_8948.jpeg
IMG_8950.jpeg
IMG_8951.jpeg
IMG_8952.jpeg

Did you know?

The golf club used to film Caddyshack was Rolling Hills C.C. in Florida. It is now Grande Oaks. While the movie was released in 1980, the club itself was established in 1959, thus that year is featured on the inlay to round out the “authenticity” I was after.

So now that they're here, it's funny what having the real thing in front of you as opposed to looking at mockups and sketches for months (or years) on end do for you. I'm beyond thrilled, and truly do think these could pass as being found in the 1980s Bushwood locker room/clubhouse lounge.

Can't wait for a game.

If you’re on the fence about creating a CPC set, don’t take it from me.

Listen to a little advice from Ty Webb.

There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

Bill Murray Reaction GIF

IMG_8903.jpeg

IMG_8889.jpeg

IMG_8921.jpeg

Last edited:
bill murray comedy GIF

Thank you for answering countless questions, looking at endless amounts of mockups, providing constant and honest feedback, educating me on the history of old school chipping, making me think, and ultimately, getting me comfortable enough to push this endeavor across the finish line.
You’re welcome. It was worth all of your harassment. They turned out great!

Excellent job!

I know one of the extras from the movie. He worked at the Country Club they shot the film in Florida.

1725598566898.png

He still had the same hair style. lol

Last edited:
Great set, great story. I had a blast with what little input I provided. Every time I had a PM from you, I was excited to see where it had went.

Let me know when you have a game. I will try to make it. I have a few weekends in October that are open lol

I mentioned this privately. I want to say it again. I love the .25 - $5.00 chip combination. I love when these three denoms work well together. At my house. The 1 and 5 are the workhorse chips. They need to be the star of the show! Again, very well done my friend! If I wasn't working a ridiculously amount of hours this weekend, I would toast a few Alberta Premium Ryes to your design!

Bill

I mentioned this privately. I want to say it again. I love the .25 - $5.00 chip combination. I love when these three denoms work well together. At my house. The 1 and 5 are the workhorse chips. They need to be the star of the show! Again, very well done my friend! If I wasn't working a ridiculously amount of hours this weekend, I would toast a few Alberta Premium Ryes to your design!

Bill
Exactly. The frac through $5 are cohesive. The $20 is loud and rude… just like Al Czervik.

Rodney Dangerfield Dancing GIF by Hollywood Suite

Great work! Chips look like they could be a movie prop.

But the picture below is a live look at everyone who has considered doing this idea but failed to deliver.

View attachment 1384369

Nice of you to say. I was definitely surprised to not find much on the theme here. Like I mentioned above, it seemed easy to make something fun from it, and there are so many ways one could go. Zany and "Caddyshack" seemed the clearest path, that just wasnt for me.

Take below for example... so cool, and hilarious.

These are awesome! Very well done.

I hot stamped a $14 Bushwoods chip at one point...not sure if I have any left but if I do, I'll send you one as a card capper.
IMG_8959.gif

If anything, lets see that chip!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom