Chip storage pr0n (1 Viewer)

Taghkanic

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
fullsizeoutput_1329.jpeg

My new storage solution for my THC starburst solids and H-mold collections may not be to everyone’s taste, but I am pretty pleased with the result.

After looking at a ton of options from flat files to rolling hardware tool chests to high-end furniture, I found this old industrial cabinet on wheels at a local antiques/junk shop for $150.

It was pretty filthy, needing both a lot of wire brushing of rust and overall cleaning. But I realized the moment I saw it that the short drawers would clear a chip rack, fitting 600 per drawer; and the taller ones would take two courses, or 1,200 per drawer, for a total possible capacity of nearly 11,000 chips. (Room to grow... Scary.)

I lined the bottom of each with a foam/rubber material from Lowe’s, trimmed to fit. (~$20)

In trimmed and painted 1” and 3/4” square dowels to use as runners in each drawer, so that three racks fit snugly side-by-side widthwise. (Cost: About $50 for wood and paint.)

Four drawer fronts were painted a color I didn’t like, so I spray-painted them a contrasting silver.
fullsizeoutput_132a.jpeg

Here’s the cabinet... Drawer pics to follow.

The road I live on is named Hoyle, so I use these basic cards because it’s like getting cheap customized ones..

fullsizeoutput_1321.jpeg

One of the advantages of this particular cabinet is that the drawers pull out easily, and with six racks each is a manageable weight. So when setting up the game, I don’t actually have to either pic chips from the cabinet then carry them, or remove the racks... I can just bring the drawers to the tables.

This pic also somewhat more clearly shows the painted wooden spacers.

fullsizeoutput_1323.jpeg

Last edited:
Not pictured: A flip-down drawer on top, which is where I keep my active decks (four at a time, plus six replacement decks) and various other game gear.

Lastly: As far as the ChipCo 4200 racks from Unique go... They have a great build quality. However, as should be apparent from the photos, while all of my Paulsons fit a barrel comfortably in each course, there is a little wiggle room on virtually all of them. Only a few barrels fit really snugly.

There’s quite a bit of variation, as far as how much they fill out the space, though I have very few chips with significant wear.

Ditto the ASMs.

Interesting idea. There's a local "antique" dealer that I know of, they've got lots of industrial style furniture including apothecary-type drawer unit cabinets. I should probably check them out.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a fancier option—a tall dresser with narrow drawers from a catalog company. I was then going to buy covered metal dealer trays to put in each drawer, so I could easily transport 500-600 chips at a time from storage to a table. But this wound up being about 25% of the cost, and with more character.

View attachment 161997

My new storage solution for my THC starburst solids and H-mold collections may not be to everyone’s taste, but I am pretty pleased with the result.

After looking at a ton of options from flat files to rolling hardware tool chests to high-end furniture, I found this old industrial cabinet on wheels at a local antiques/junk shop for $150.

It was pretty filthy, needing both a lot of wire brushing of rust and overall cleaning. But I realized the moment I saw it that the short drawers would clear a chip rack, fitting 600 per drawer; and the taller ones would take two courses, or 1,200 per drawer, for a total possible capacity of nearly 11,000 chips. (Room to grow... Scary.)

I lined the bottom of each with a foam/rubber material from Lowe’s, trimmed to fit. (~$20)

In trimmed and painted 1” and 3/4” square dowels to use as runners in each drawer, so that three racks fit snugly side-by-side widthwise. (Cost: About $50 for wood and paint.)

Four drawer fronts were painted a color I didn’t like, so I spray-painted them a contrasting silver.
View attachment 161999

Here’s the cabinet... Drawer pics to follow.

Love your new chip cabinet! But the pink arm is kinda creepy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom