Considering disconnecting from Mobile Device(s) (2 Viewers)

chkmte

Flush
Reaction score
So I'm curious if anyone else has ever considered completely going without their mobile device (on a permanent basis). I try not to buy into conspiracy theories, but several things recently have got me thinking.

See: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ultrasonic-audio-privacy-phones-a7723871.html

Not only are we losing privacy at an alarming rate, everything we say, do, buy - the places we go...it seems to me that it's all recorded in some way. That bothers me for whatever reason.

Additionally, when I take my boys to the library, the park or some sort of play area - all the 'moms' are staring down at their damn phone. I mean, I could probably walk off with one of their kids and they wouldn't know it until someone mentioned it on Facebook. It's becoming a bit much for me.

I'm coming close to going back to an old-fashioned house phone (albeit VOIP) and reducing my online footprint substantially. Does anyone else share my concern(s)?

It's a new world. Adapt, or watch it rush by without you.

I'll be dead before any of it really matters. Good thing, because the future 30-40 years out scares the crap outta me.

I could probably walk off with one of their kids and they wouldn't know it until someone mentioned it on Facebook.
Sad, but true. And pretty funny. :D

I could probably walk off with one of their kids and they wouldn't know it until someone mentioned it on Facebook
It's surprisingly easy. That's how I got these

kids_in_cage_25.jpg

So I'm curious if anyone else has ever considered completely going without their mobile device (on a permanent basis).
I have not.

Not only are we losing privacy at an alarming rate, everything we say, do, buy - the places we go...it seems to me that it's all recorded in some way.
The notion of privacy is largely a myth. Critical portions of our lives were largely able to be digitally recreated/reviewed by the government decades ago. Private corporations started sewing those seeds 10-15 years ago. Now there's basically nothing of import or relevance that hasn't been digitally documented, stored, and parsed for querying. You say we're losing privacy - I say we lost it long ago when we accepted the End User Licensing Agreements and Terms and Conditions. Nothing is free. We pay for it with money, personal information, or both.

Make no mistake - every digital platform of consequence out there is now built to gather and query data about you and your behaviors. It's one of the primary tenants of digital design. Facebook, Google, every major social media and digital consumption platform out there knows you better than you do, and they intentionally will show you adds, headlines and images to try and manipulate you to take their next desired action, whether that's to subscribe or buy or share or ask or whatever action they deem valuable - they are absolutely doing this, and will continue to do so. It's not a conspiracy, but reality. This was actually one of the sub-topics of the keynote speaker at this year's Game Developer's Conference. The data being collected on us & our behaviors and how that's being used or likely to be used is staggering.

That bothers me for whatever reason...Does anyone else share my concern(s)?
Yes, and yet no. This is the world we live in. To engage with technology - and by extension, modern society - is to accept the fact that your activity is being recorded in a database somewhere and used for private purpose/gain. The only real way around it is to go live on a communal ranch or some such group somewhere and not leave - no mobile phones and no internet - and that has it's own risks and limitations. To be clear, I'm not poking fun at trying to go off-grid as much as possible, but I will say that for most people it will be too little/too late. For folks that want data on you, they by and large already have it - particularly Apple, Facebook, and Google. As for the government, they have or can get all the data they'd ever want on you.

So do I like all of that? Not really. But I also know and accept that if someone wants information on me, they can get it. It doesn't matter what I do to protect it, online or off. Instead of fighting against it, I've simply accepted it as a part of society. The fact is I was always going to - and have always been - buying those groceries and go to that party and see that doctor and drive that route to work, and other companies and government agencies have been observing me doing so for decades. The only difference is now they're cataloging that data and aggregating/querying it. The only way to not allow them to do that is to not do what I was going to do in the first place, and those aren't realistic options for me.

This is the way of things now. Everything you do is or will be distilled into a queryable interaction and will be used for private or government purposes.

As for the concept of unplugging for a bit in order to focus on face-to-face interactions, that's part of the reason I love social poker and board games. I get to hang out w/my friends, play some games, enjoy some face time, get my head out of a monitor, and slow things down a little. Part of the reason I love the beach, too - unwind with some friends and a nice cigar...good stuff.

I agree with the responses so far. Believe me I get it. Hell I still haven't signed up for Facebook-gram-chat or whatever. I even yell at my wife for sitting on her phone at home but then when she finally gets off Facebook, we sit there and watch tv anyway :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:.

For me, its (mostly)...

General friends & Long time game publisher friends: Facebook
Board Games associates: Twitter
Poker & Chip sets: PCF

my brother got rid of his cell phone a few years ago. other than having the shakes for a few days, he says he has never missed it.

my brother got rid of his cell phone a few years ago. other than having the shakes for a few days, he says he has never missed it.

I didn't get my first cellphone until I was 40. My wife only got her first cellphone a couple of years ago.

You could switch to a dumb phone for a while see if you could do without , but I am sure you will find it harder than it seems, how are you gonna check pcf

/Cell-Phones-Basic-Phone-Accessories/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:7072561011%2Cp_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin:14674881011

Last edited:
You could switch to a dumb phone for a while see if you could do without , but I am sure you will find it harder than it seems

/Cell-Phones-Basic-Phone-Accessories/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:7072561011%2Cp_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin:14674881011
The thing is I get about 5-6 calls/day. Typically 4-5 of those are out-of-area numbers with either a salesman or automated message. I truly have only a handful of people with whom I communicate regularly.

Additionally, this isn't all about me. What's-his-name said "be the change you want to see" or something to that effect. My point is that we all are spending way too much time looking down. IMO, much of the news/gossip/social media is non-essential and just a distraction.

I'm serious, it saddens me to see these parents not watching their children play but would rather stick their nose in a damn phone.

If I can't do without, wouldn't that make me an addict? Seriously.

That's crazy to think.

I use my phone mostly for texts and phone calls, and for occasionally visiting PCF. I don't use it for FB, Twitter, online banking, or anything that needs to be secure or is sensitive. I considered turning off the location but didn't because someday I might be in trouble and it could be the only way I can be found.

Oh, wait -- the camera! I use my phone's camera a lot. It takes better photos than my "good" camera and is always with me. I took a photo of some birds that I knew my brother-in-law would be able to identify (grackles). I was in my car (stopped) and shot through the windshield. The car was moving at around 45mph.

20170506_094049.jpg

When you don't have it, you don't miss it. For almost 4 years, I was not able to have my phone with me during the day due to the type of work I did. I had to leave it in the car, and wouldn't see it again until I left. When I got home, I would check a few things, and let it be. Now that I am not in that position any longer, and back into the private sector, I can't believe how much time I spend on the damn thing.

If I can't do without, wouldn't that make me an addict? Seriously.

That's crazy to think.

You could change your cell phone number and give out the new number to select friends and family. And you can also add numbers to a spam list which will block their calls and texts.

You could change your cell phone number and give out the new number to select friends and family. And you can also add numbers to a spam list which will block their calls and texts.
Yes I agree. However it's only a matter of time before I receive unsolicited calls again...I think. Unfortunately, there are many things I purchase (i.e. Domain Names) which require a phone number. I could buy multiple phone numbers I guess, but that's kinda a hassle too.

I dunno. Having everything I do or buy or go archived just makes me uncomfortable. I think the only way to avoid all that is untether - or join the Amish community, and I'm pretty sure it'd be damn hard to find a poker game then.

Lol. My friends that know me understand I am waaaaaay behind on movies.

1. Get a Google Voice number and give that out when you have to register domains, etc. You can set up Google Voice to ring through or to just go to voicemail. Easy to ignore solicitors.

2. Use this app (or one of many like it). Identify (and blacklist) potential solicitors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom