Differences in ceramics? (1 Viewer)

retroarc

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hi All. I'm brand new to this so sorry if this has been discussed. Do ceramic chips have noticeable texture differences between manufactures? I've only gotten one sample, and I didn't love the texture of it, but I do like the idea of getting more custom designs. CC's feel better to me but, from what I can tell, seem to be limited in options.

Ceramics with actual inlaid labels (called hybrids), and ceramics with molds (impressions around the edges) will feel noticeably different from 'plain' ceramics. There is also a difference between plain ceramics between manufacturers as well, although I think it's slightly less pronounced.

Welcome @retroarc !!

Always new members coming in apologizing for asking question about poker chips... that's what all of us needs talk about all day anyways! Why apologize?

There absolutely IS a difference in ceramics between manufacturers. Many here will say chipcos are the best while personally I love the smooth "River stone" texture of Brpros blanks. I added on to my set 3 times because I loved them so much
20220511_155034.jpg

I even like the original Tina chips from China with no molds
20200813_192512.jpg

once the cards molds came out not as much of a fan (look labeled but just printed on the surface to look like that)
20220419_171251.jpg

and chipcos are not bad... just a heavy texture.

As mentioned above if you get into Hybrid ceramics (with a label in the center) it also changes things as well. Like these Tina no molds (almost rubbery texture, great weight and price point)
20221014_162856.jpg

But a totally different feel than Sunfly ceramics (these are more slick, and smooth harder texture, but feel like they will last a life time) also 43mm so slightly larger

20210517_165615.jpg

If you prefer the feel of China Clay... nothing wrong with that either! Just try and avoid words like Paulsons, BCC and TRK moving forward, because real clay is that next level and not easy on the bank account!

Fellow Chipper Ben

@
Welcome @retroarc !!

Always new members coming in apologizing for asking question about poker chips... that's what all of us needs talk about all day anyways! Why apologize?

There absolutely IS a difference in ceramics between manufacturers. Many here will say chipcos are the best while personally I love the smooth "River stone" texture of Brpros blanks. I added on to my set 3 times because I loved them so much
View attachment 1329210
I even like the original Tina chips from China with no molds
View attachment 1329213
once the cards molds came out not as much of a fan (look labeled but just printed on the surface to look like that)
View attachment 1329214
and chipcos are not bad... just a heavy texture.

As mentioned above if you get into Hybrid ceramics (with a label in the center) it also changes things as well. Like these Tina no molds (almost rubbery texture, great weight and price point)
View attachment 1329211
But a totally different feel than Sunfly ceramics (these are more slick, and smoth harder texture, but feel like they will last a life time) also 43mm so slightly larger

View attachment 1329212

If you prefer the feel of China Clay... nothing wrong with that either! Just try and avoid words like Paulsons, BCC and TRK moving forward, because real clay is that next level and not easy on the bank account!

Fellow Chipper Ben
Wow, thank you so much for the breakdown, super helpful! So much more to look into, I now understand the rabbit hole people talk about haha, definitely going to look into more ceramic samples

Hmm. I've only held a few live ceramic singles. Wasn't impressed with texture. But now thinking would be fairer to get a few more samples.

I think the new Web Molds are by far the best to come from “TINA”

I’m close to pulling the trigger on a WM Sunset Beach set

ChipCos are fantastic, love the weight and feel. Very very happy with them. My no-molds are great, no complaints, but I prefer the chipcos.

I have samples from BRpro and Tina Webmolds here for ceramics I prefer the Tina.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom