Do you guys who display your chips worry about light damage? (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Serious question that I guess I’ve never considered, until this latest birdcage discussion. I’ve always kept my chips in cases, so I’ve never given it a thought. But I’ve seen plenty of pictures of people who store their chips in birdcages or in those cool attorney book cases. Don’t most rooms in your house get some sunlight, at some times of the day? Do people use cabinets or shelving with museum glass?
I know I’m the guy who’s always ranting about how durable chips are, but I’ve seen plenty of chips that were faded by sunlight. And I feel like the last time I got a decent print framed, I was advised that light damage can happen even without direct sunlight. I dunno. Is it a concern?

Great question. Recently found a nice display case and am wondering the same thing. It will not get any direct sunlight but have also seen folks say damage can occur via normal lighting as well.

Does anyone know if different types of glass will have a mark on them denoting what they are e.g. plain, glare resistant, museum, etc.?

Over time, I would think it is a concern. Especially If in direct sunlight.

As for how long it would take to fade, that would require more science than I currently have at my disposal - lol. (And of course how much cotton the clay mixture contains)

As for how long it would take to fade, that would require more science than I currently have at my immediate disposal - lol.
I left a chip on a window sill for a year or two and it’s practically bleached. I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Great question. Recently found a nice display case and am wondering the same thing. It will not get any direct sunlight but have also seen folks say damage can occur via normal lighting as well.

Does anyone know if different types of glass will have a mark on them denoting what they are e.g. plain, glare resistant, museum, etc.?
Good question. Looking at my house windows (which are tinted) the only mark I see is if it’s tempered.

We have some pictures that are framed with museum glass, and that glass is also not marked. (Not sure if that means anything though)

I left a chip on a window sill for a year or two and it’s practically bleached. I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow.
Wow - not surprising though. That would be really interesting to see.

I think it is a legitimate concern and I’ve thought about it a lot myself as well.

A display cabinet with tinted or “protective” glass would make a lot of sense.

Their loss of color will simply be a footer in the life of a chip whose beauty was enjoyed, and had their day in the sun.

image.jpg

I have wood floors next to a patio window that got pretty faded, we could tell a distinct difference when taking up an area rug. I’m sure a lot of direct sun would make a difference. No uv tint on the old doors but new doors have uv tint.

I have wood floors next to a patio window that got pretty faded, we could tell a distinct difference when taking up an area rug. I’m sure a lot of direct sun would make a difference. No uv tint on the old doors but new doors have uv tint.
lol - I was going to say the same thing. Whenever I’m house hunting, the first thing I do is lift up the corners of area rugs to check for fading.

It could all be a huge con. But when you’re paying hundreds of dollars to frame a $500 print, who’s going to argue over a $50 up charge for museum glass?
If museum glass were only that inexpensive!

I had the piece of animation art that I own that dates from 1914 framed with museum glass and that alone cost me more than the custom framing job with labor. The stuff is amazing, but you also get what you pay for.

That said, big thanks to @kaimat for the link for the UV blocking film. I knew it had to exist somewhere, but a couple rather half-assed searches a few years ago came up empty. The "help" at Home Depot and Lowes were equally unhelpful, so I started to wonder if I had to seek out an automotive tinting company for info. I gave up on the search a while ago, but that's exactly what I had been looking for. The Arizona sun is a harsh beast.

No window in my man cave… problem solved ;)

My chips are functional art: meant to be used and enjoyed. I take reasonable care but accept that they won't last forever.

I’m with you 100% on tossing them around the table and wearing them down. But fading (whether from overly agressive cleaning or light damage) feels unacceptable to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom