Drop Chip Denominations? (2 Viewers)

Which denomination?

• Total voters

Moxie Mike

Full House
Reaction score
We play $4/$8 fixed limit with a 1/2 kill on flop games.

I'm considering making some drop chips out of a rack of milled blanks I just ordered.

We have a dedicated dealer, who pulls $1 out of each pot as a toke. We also have a small house fee to cover consumables: $1 out of pots under $40; $2 under $100 and $3 from pots over $100.

Currently, the dealer uses the two cup holders nearest her section to collect the house fee and her tokes... and when the cupholders fill to the top they're colored up. This is cumbersome and unsightly, so I'm considering getting some of these acrylic boxes and placing them on a drink table near her: https://www.amazon.com/VOISEN-Donation-Suggestion-Fundraising-6-2x4-6x3-9/dp/B0CH859KKZ/?th=1

I also don't want her to have to drop chips every single hand... so creating drop chips seemed like a good solution.

What denomination would be best? My first thought was $8, since players could use them to place the big bets. But I don't need $800 worth of drop chips, so $4 chips seemed like it might be better.

Thoughts?

You play with $2 chips I assume for the $4/8 game. The drop chip should be a $20 chip. Then every 10 chips she pulls from the game she replaces with a drop chip and the 10 $2 chips go back into play.

Why not $5? Stack the $1s until you get 5, change it for a $5, then drop the single chip in the slot. That's what cardrooms do when they don't have a drop chip that match the exact drop amount.

You play with $2 chips I assume for the $4/8 game. The drop chip should be a $20 chip. Then every 10 chips she pulls from the game she replaces with a drop chip and the 10 $2 chips go back into play.
Yeah that's the current setup and it's cumbersome. The problem is there aren't $20 chips in play... so someone needs to color them up away from the table once the cup is overflowing. The idea of a $4 or $8 chip is they can be part of a player's stack and can be used to place/call bets as part of the game.

Why not $5? Stack the $1s until you get 5, change it for a $5, then drop the single chip in the slot. That's what cardrooms do when they don't have a drop chip that match the exact drop amount.
No reason, other than the fact that there aren't $5 chips in play. So they'll need to be colored up away from the table - which is what we do with $20 chips currently.

because of the fact that 5s are not in the game - I would use a 5 in the 4/8, and I think I would either make a toke box and hang off the table, I would buy a rake box and put it in the table, or I would just run it out of the dealer tray and clear it when it hits 100 bucks or something.

Yeah that's the current setup and it's cumbersome. The problem is there aren't $20 chips in play... so someone needs to color them up away from the table once the cup is overflowing. The idea of a $4 or $8 chip is they can be part of a player's stack and can be used to place/call bets as part of the game.

No reason, other than the fact that there aren't $5 chips in play. So they'll need to be colored up away from the table - which is what we do with $20 chips currently.
It’s limit poker, so if you are at the table to buy and extra $200 in $20 chips when the game starts for the express purpose of coloring up the chips that are raked by the dealer makes the most sense. Having some odd chips being bet in a limit game could throw people off. Ideally you want just the $2 chips being used to make bets.

EDIT: Total rewrite since I just realized you mentioned the set is a $2 base limit set.

I honestly think adding a drop chip to this setup just complicates things, especially given that while the total drop in a $100+ pot is $4, it's being split between two drops. This creates a bit of an issue because if she's dropping a $4 to cover both drops in one box, you need a way to track the split between the tokes and the refreshment fund, so this would either need some kind of hand counter on the table or a 0-value drop chip that she drops one of every hand, in addition to the $4, or $1s on a pot that's less than 13 big bets. While having a drop chip would definitely make any set more interesting, I don't think you gain enough efficiency from it to justify using it in this $4/8 game unless it's the new workhorse chip of the set, and to make that happen you'd need a lot more than one rack of blanks.

Last edited:
Sounds like it would just be easier to charge something up front to knock off all this dragging and just keep it to tipping the dealer

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom