Gear label removal (1 Viewer)

1AAACEHOLE

High Hand
Reaction score
I have tried looking for information on this but haven’t been able to find anything. I was wondering how hard or easy it is to remove Gear labels. In comparison to removing Paulson inlays.

Agreed. It's just a label or sticker. If it's been on a chip for a while, it might be a little stubborn, but it will come off pretty easy and cleanly. Maybe some sticky residue but no stuck paper or anything like that.

Inlays are compressed in and much harder to remove, particularly Paulson inlays.

Can you tell me the process. Any chemicals needed?

No, just get a fingernail under and peel. Could use a small blade, but not to cut or dig, just to help get under the edge of the label.

Can you tell me the process. Any chemicals needed?
Non alcohol nail polish remover will help with the sticker residue if there is any, but it will be very very easy. Paulson inlays are much harder and varied; stickers are just stickers. Wonderfully well made stickers, but not a challenge to pop off if you mean to do so.

edit: beware, listen to @TheOffalo and test it first.

Are they over labelled or murdered with a laminate label? Over labelled just a thumb nail. I removed some gear labels that were laminated and found a rounded exacto blade was easier to get them started

Non alcohol nail polish remover will help with the sticker residue if there is any, but it will be very very easy. Paulson inlays are much harder and varied; stickers are just stickers. Wonderfully well made stickers, but not a challenge to pop off if you mean to do so.
NANPR has a chance to discolor the clay. I've had pretty good luck with Goo Gone if there's a lot of sticky residue. (Edit: Haven’t had discoloration issues with Goo Gone though a little of the color comes off onto the cotton ball or paper towel. So test test test!) I believe high % rubbing alcohol would also remove sticky residue.

Last edited:
They are murdered with a laminate inlay. I was thinking of buying some chips with Gear labels on them that I was going to remove anyhow because I figured those would be easier than removing original inlays from other chips. I did Receive some chips one time that had obviously been over labeled before and there were sticky residue on them and I cleaned them off with WD-40 seemed like it cleaned them and oil them at the same time. Was that a good or a bad idea? Didn’t seem to hurt the chips. I still have them they still seem fine.

I believe WD-40 contains mineral oil so could definitely have oiled the chips at the same time as removing residue. If you didn't notice any discoloration or change to the chip condition on application, then it's probably fine.

I've put NANPR on a chip and have it instantly change color and make the surface of the clay become a little soft/spongy. Fortunately, once the NANPR dries the surface of the chip re-hardens but any discoloration remains.

They are murdered with a laminate inlay. I was thinking of buying some chips with Gear labels on them that I was going to remove anyhow because I figured those would be easier than removing original inlays from other chips. I did Receive some chips one time that had obviously been over labeled before and there were sticky residue on them and I cleaned them off with WD-40 seemed like it cleaned them and oil them at the same time. Was that a good or a bad idea? Didn’t seem to hurt the chips. I still have them they still seem fine.
I wouldn’t use any petroleum-based products on clay. It has the potential to harm the chip.
The best product I’ve found for sticky residue is Bestine rubber cement thinner, which is 100% heptane. Very thin and evaporates lightning fast, with no residue. Use liberally, and the sticky goo will scrape off. You can wipe with a cloth that has a small amount of Bestine to get the rest.

I believe WD-40 contains mineral oil so could definitely have oiled the chips at the same time as removing residue. If you didn't notice any discoloration or change to the chip condition on application, then it's probably fine.

I've put NANPR on a chip and have it instantly change color and make the surface of the clay become a little soft/spongy. Fortunately, once the NANPR dries the surface of the chip re-hardens but any discoloration remains.
While the oil in WD-40 may be mineral oil, I believe there’s other petroleum ingredients in there that may cause damage. I would proceed with caution.

One of the best tools I’ve bought for labels is a dental set. The double end pointy pick is great to get an edge of a label to pull up. And the flat one on the right is great to scrape any residue and also when labelling a new chip, I apply the sticker to the chip with it.

It’s like $4 on Amazon

D666932C-941D-48B6-86D6-571FF37CC320.jpeg

They come right off as long as you can hook something under them. You only need a cleaner to get the residue off the chip, the label itself should peel off without much right.

Echoing others in that you shouldn't use NANPR unless you have to because of its ability to discolor dissolve chip material. I would suggest isopropyl alcohol or another solvent someone has tested on chips to clean off sticker residue.

I wouldn’t use any petroleum-based products on clay.

The best product I’ve found for sticky residue is Bestine rubber cement thinner, which is 100% heptane.

Heptane is a cut from the petroleum distillation process. Its actually used in the octane number calculation for gasoline

From the internet

“Octane number equates to the anti-knock qualities of a comparison mixture of heptane and iso-octane which is expressed as the percentage of iso-octane in heptane, and is listed on pumps for gasoline (petrol) dispensed globally.”

Heptane is a cut from the petroleum distillation process. Its actually used in the octane number calculation for gasoline

From the internet

“Octane number equates to the anti-knock qualities of a comparison mixture of heptane and iso-octane which is expressed as the percentage of iso-octane in heptane, and is listed on pumps for gasoline (petrol) dispensed globally.”
True, but it is refined enough that it does no damage to certain materials like an acetone or other petroleum solvent would.
Heptane is also great in that it leaves no residue like some other sticker removal products.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom