Tourney Hosting a Newbie Game (1 Viewer)

emunster18

High Hand
Reaction score
I have recently been alternating cash games and tournaments each month. Most of my players are very new and make many mistakes that are amplified in a tournament setting.

As the host to these close friends, I don't want to always be placing in money and giving off the appearance of playing just to take their money.

Any advice you could give me as the host, to either mask losing occasionally, or improving the skill level of my attendees?

For reference - 2 Table Tourney, 12-16 players, maybe 2-3 experienced players + me. Payouts to top 4 places.

When I had new folks to poker, I kept it light and entertaining. Played more hands, called a wider range, and gave action. Allowed folks to learn, make mistakes but guided them back on track in order to have better poker etiquette in the future.

Echoing previous advice. I also encourage people to fold. Sounds silly but I tell all my beginner's that most good poker players fold a lot! Seems intuitive to many of us, but to some casual players they'll pay anything to see a flop then fold. The game's started getting much better once my newbies figured out they have a fold button.

I would run the occasional 'newbies only' tournament for people who'd been to 0-2 of our games before. Would just be a single table, and I would deal the entire tournament and facilitate play and give advice. This way I'm not invested in the tournament and my advice is no longer suspect in the same way it might be if I had money on the table. Plus it frees me up to pay better attention to what they're doing and figure out what advice might help get them off to a better start. Plus then when I tell them they can fold they don't think I'm just trying to bluff them ;)

Thanks for the advice. We keep it a friendly game and have fun with it. However, I fold a lot... just my nature after playing for 20 years...

We play $50 buy in for both the cash game and tournaments. I feel that's the most appropriate amount to keep this group interested without anyone being destroyed when the lose a buy-in or two.

I'll take the advice of playing looser myself, and advising players to fold more. I like the reference of, "The game's started getting much better once my newbies figured out they have a fold button."

Play limit for dimes or quarters. Lots more fun and more luck based cuz everyone stays in balancing the playing field a bit

Play limit for dimes or quarters. Lots more fun and more luck based cuz everyone stays in balancing the playing field a bit
The problem with a game like that, is the splashy-ness would get out of hand with this group. It's bad enough at the moment, even with playing NL.

Most of my friends aren't interested in studying and improving their game, so I provide food and drinks so they're more or less breaking even if they lose.

Still, once in a while I give more action to fish by bluffing in the wrong spots or calling down light. I usually regret this after the same guy calls me down with garbage, rivers a flush or something, and doesn't see it till everyone else points it out :)

Not everyone will be interested in improving. Some players view poker the same way they view scratch-off lottery tickets, so no amount of help will improve their game. Still, most will want to improve just to be competitive.

Make a few comments about play - your play - during breaks. Let Player X know why you called his min-raise with 20 BB in the pot. This discussion alone will help player. The focus of the discussion should be on what you were doing right, not what they were doing wrong. This will start the conversation, and probably be discussed the entirety of the break.

Newbies go through levels.
Level 1: Joined because it is social. Every hand is a possible winner.
Level 2: Not every hand is a possible winner. You need at least a 10 or higher, or 2 suited cards. Pair of 10s or higher is always a call. You will lose stacks trying to bluff a Level 2 player, because they only see what they hold, not the betting-story told.
Level 3: This is the toughest level - understanding that you can be beat. Sure, you have trip aces, but there are 4 hearts on the board and none in your hand. At least pause before you call. It usually takes some discussion with another player to reach level 3.
Level 4: Student of the game. Whether through books, YouTube, or in-depth discussion, this is the final level of newbiedom. It might be poorly executed GTO, or T. J. Cloutier basics. The important point is they are no longer new, and have actual tools in their toolbox.

Open up the discussion. I've had a couple come over and Mrs Zombie and I finished every hand turning our cards face-up, letting the couple know why we did what we did. It's never about what they did wrong, so they never feel "humiliated" or "stupid".

Not everyone will be interested in improving. Some players view poker the same way they view scratch-off lottery tickets, so no amount of help will improve their game. Still, most will want to improve just to be competitive.

Make a few comments about play - your play - during breaks. Let Player X know why you called his min-raise with 20 BB in the pot. This discussion alone will help player. The focus of the discussion should be on what you were doing right, not what they were doing wrong. This will start the conversation, and probably be discussed the entirety of the break.

Level 2: Not every hand is a possible winner. You need at least a 10 or higher, or 2 suited cards. Pair of 10s or higher is always a call. You will lose stacks trying to bluff a Level 2 player, because they only see what they hold, not the betting-story told.
Level 3: This is the toughest level - understanding that you can be beat. Sure, you have trip aces, but there are 4 hearts on the board and none in your hand. At least pause before you call. It usually takes some discussion with another player to reach level 3.
Level 4: Student of the game. Whether through books, YouTube, or in-depth discussion, this is the final level of newbiedom. It might be poorly executed GTO, or T. J. Cloutier basics. The important point is they are no longer new, and have actual tools in their toolbox.

Open up the discussion. I've had a couple come over and Mrs Zombie and I finished every hand turning our cards face-up, letting the couple know why we did what we did. It's never about what they did wrong, so they never feel "humiliated" or "stupid".

Thanks for posting in explicit detail how I've never evolved beyond a solid level 2 noob. I might as well wear a shirt that says "Donator" at every game.

Most of my friends aren't interested in studying and improving their game, so I provide food and drinks so they're more or less breaking even if they lose.

Still, once in a while I give more action to fish by bluffing in the wrong spots or calling down light. I usually regret this after the same guy calls me down with garbage, rivers a flush or something, and doesn't see it till everyone else points it out :)
I have run 2 tournaments with this group and ended up taking 2nd both times. I folded the nuts once just so I wouldn't stack multiple people in a big pot...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom