Tourney How to award prize pool at hard stop time? (1 Viewer)

Larold

Pair
Reaction score
Apologies - I could swear I've seen a thread on this but my search didn't turn up anything, or I missed it because I'm legally blind.

TL;DR: If you are unlucky (as a host) and hit a hard stop time before you can naturally get to the end of your tournament, how do you award the prize pool?

Specific questions:
- If you were only going to pay the top say 3, but more than 3 people remain, how do you handle this?
- Do you award 1st to largest stack, 2nd to 2nd largest, etc? Or do you divided prize pool by % of chips in possession of each player?
- Any other thoughts?

Apologies - I could swear I've seen a thread on this but my search didn't turn up anything, or I missed it because I'm legally blind.

TL;DR: If you are unlucky (as a host) and hit a hard stop time before you can naturally get to the end of your tournament, how do you award the prize pool?

Specific questions:
- If you were only going to pay the top say 3, but more than 3 people remain, how do you handle this?
- Do you award 1st to largest stack, 2nd to 2nd largest, etc? Or do you divided prize pool by % of chips in possession of each player?
- Any other thoughts?
I think either way is acceptable, but it needs to be decided before the tournament starts as the two methods affect game play especially when the Stop time gets close.

If you’re stopping in the moment and it wasn’t planned ahead of time then everyone has to agree on what they consider a fair chop. If there’s no agreement then there’s no fair way to stop the game. If you want to plan a hard stop then use ICM and make sure everyone knows it’s in play before the game starts.

ICM chop calculators are easily found online. Different and better than a normal equity chop.

Specific questions:
- Any other thoughts?
I have a small tourney (8-12) and a hard stop time at 5 hours (not including breaks).

For myself, the last 4 levels are 5 minute turbos. Then if there are still players, we split the winnings evenly.

But I have the blinds structured and in such a way that by the last last level - even if we max out players - we have 12BB left for the entire table.

We have never once needed to chop the winnings. Twice in 12 tourneys, we went 1 or two levels into the turbos. And of those two tourneys, one was a deep-stack.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom