How to oil Outlaw chips [HELP] (1 Viewer)

ducksonquack420

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hey all! First post here, I just got myself roughly 600 outlaw chips as my first higher-quality chips, and I love them! My only small gripe is just how dusty and grey they look around the edges and wanted to make them pop more like the main part of the chip and how I see others doing it. My question is how would I go about doing this? I already bought mineral oil I just wanted to make sure the outlaws are the right material to be doing this and that I won't accidentally ruin the outlaw sticker on the face of the chip? Thanks!

I would just wipe with a damp cloth on those.
damp cloth of the oil or water?

Outlaws is plastic slugged so oiling it only make it shiny due to the oil and get sticky/dirty very easily.

Plastic does not benefit from oiling unlike Clay chips like Paulson/Cpc does
oh I thought Outlaw's were clay since it has engraved designs on it? Is it not clay at all? Editing this message I just went and searched, these are in fact clay

oh I thought Outlaw's were clay since it has engraved designs on it? Is it not clay at all? Editing this message I just went and searched, these are in fact clay
Uh, no, the Outlaw chips are in fact injection-molded plastic surrounding a metal slug, with a adhesive-backed sticker/label attached.

Anybody claiming that they are clay is lying.

Wipe 'em with a damp (water) cloth, or better yet, sell 'em (or give them away).

Pretty sure outlaws are plastic. They are advertised as clay but are not clay in the sense of compression molded like Paulsons. I think they typically go for around $0.10-$0.15/chip? Something like that. Post a picture of them and we can tell you if they are “clay”

Do not oil them because they are plastic and the oil will not absorb but will leave residue and they will get funky.

Most commercial chip sellers call it “clay composite” it’s a selling term the came up with to not say plastic lol
Similar commercial food sellers use “natural flavors” which are not necessarily natural lol
Selling gimmicks :) good luck!

Most commercial chip sellers call it “clay composite” it’s a selling term the came up with to not say plastic lol
Similar commercial food sellers use “natural flavors” which are not necessarily natural lol
Selling gimmicks :) good luck!
@iLogik has the truth here. Poker chip sellers will call their chips clay, or clay composite, when it just isn’t true. The kind of chips that benefit from oiling are compressed clay, and there are only two manufacturers in the world producing compressed clays right now - Paulson (owned by Angel, formerly owned by GPI) and Classic Poker Chips. Outlaws are not compressed clays; they’re not made of a porous material that can absorb oil, so you shouldn’t oil them. But if they’re dusty, you can clean them with a damp cloth as other people have suggested.

Per the Apache website:

Which chips should be oiled?

China Clay
– chips like the Pharaoh’s will definitely see a lot of improvement with a coat of mineral oil. Dunes & Majestic will shine up nice too.

Paulson – We do not advise putting oil on brand new Paulson chips. Most of the time they will look nice right out of the box. Used Paulson chips most of the time will benefit with some oil.

Clay Composite – These chips are mostly plastic and are already shiny and slick. We do not recommend oiling them.

Ceramic – These chips are too hard and will not absorb any oil. Do not oil ceramic chips.

BUT, if you're interested even though it's not recommended, here are their instructions for oiling chips:

Here is how we apply mineral oil to chips.

We start with putting 2 tablespoons of mineral oil in a large pot with one to two gallons of warm water.

You can do up to 300 chips at a time. Once the chips are in the water use your hands to mix them up for at least 30 seconds or until you can see them shine up.

SOURCE: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/blog/mineral-oil-poker-chips/

Per the Apache website:

China Clay
– chips like the Pharaoh’s will definitely see a lot of improvement with a coat of mineral oil. Dunes & Majestic will shine up nice too.

Paulson – We do not advise putting oil on brand new Paulson chips. Most of the time they will look nice right out of the box. Used Paulson chips most of the time will benefit with some oil.

Clay Composite – These chips are mostly plastic and are already shiny and slick. We do not recommend oiling them.

Ceramic – These chips are too hard and will not absorb any oil. Do not oil ceramic chips.

BUT, if you're interested even though it's not recommended, here are their instructions for oiling chips:

We start with putting 2 tablespoons of mineral oil in a large pot with one to two gallons of warm water.

You can do up to 300 chips at a time. Once the chips are in the water use your hands to mix them up for at least 30 seconds or until you can see them shine up.

This is for true clay or China clay chips of which these chips inquired about are neither. Learn a little more before posting misleading information.

This is for true clay or China clay chips of which these chips inquired about are neither. Learn a little more before posting misleading information.
They highlighted the part that says clay composite are mostly plastic and shouldn't be oiled, and linked to the source. I'm not sure what misleading information you're referring to? It seems to me the post agrees with what most everyone is saying in this thread, they're plastic and shouldn't be oiled. They did also provide information on how to do it if they insist on doing so, but only after making it pretty apparent it isn't recommended.

Per the Apache website:

China Clay

Sorry - did not go to the link. I apologize.
I apologize.

Pretty sure outlaws are plastic. They are advertised as clay but are not clay in the sense of compression molded like Paulsons. I think they typically go for around $0.10-$0.15/chip? Something like that. Post a picture of them and we can tell you if they are “clay”

Do not oil them because they are plastic and the oil will not absorb but will leave residue and they will get funky.
outlawchips.jpg

These are my chips : )

Per the Apache website:

China Clay

Be very cautious advising people to use the oil and water method... if this method is used on inlaid chips (specifically older paulsons and TRK that have paper inlays underneath the vinyl) the inlays can absorb the water and become stained

I realize this does not apply to the chips mentioned in this thread, but I would hate for an unknowing new member to come across this post and think to themselves, oh that's a great idea.... always test a few chips before trying any method of oiling (or washing)

Should I do just the edges where the dust is, or can I do the whole chip? Or will that ruin the sticker on the face.
I recommend picking a barrel up and doing the rolling edges it generally goes pretty quickly that way. If the faces are dusty and it bothers you you can wipe them individually but I would use a lightly damp cloth and use caution around the stickers......

For you chips I would just hold stack by the barrel and wipe off edges with damp cloth.

These are the outlaw plastic chips that were mentioned previously

Damp water wash cloth to wipe them off.
Replying after experimenting for a bit, I took a micro fiber cloth first, then tried a regular cloth; both damp, and put a stack of chips in it, and applied good pressure while rolling it around and found no progress, still had the greyish/dusty look. Will putting just a tiny drop of mineral oil be a good idea or steer clear? And just let the dust go away after many play sessions.

The dust will go away when they’re played.

Avoid any oil. It will be like cleaning oily Tupperware since it’s plastic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom