I Created a PLO Pot Bet Calculator to Speed Up Home Games! (1 Viewer)

mooncereal

High Hand
Reaction score
I’ve been playing PLO with friends for a while now, and my biggest issue is calculating pot-sized bets that can slow down the game. To make things smoother, I decided to create a PLO pot bet calculator!

This tool is a total game-changer for home games with no dedicated dealer. With just a few clicks, you can instantly calculate the pot-sized bet. No more stopping to do math mid-hand!

I'm surprised nobody has made something like this already because it's daunting for me to calculate the pot, especially in home games where bets/raises can go "pot, pot, pot, pot".

This is version 1.0 and as you can see it doesn't take into account player facing a raise (where their bet would be subtracted from the pot).

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think. I'm open to any suggestions as this is a very simple script and I can make changes on the fly.

The same goes for bugs or incorrect calculations. If you catch anything let me know!

This is the site: https://www.plopotcalculator.com/

Calculating pot is not very difficult, and to make it easier round off the pot to the nearest $5 if playing $1/1 or nearest $1 if playing with fracs.

Nobody needs to be multiplying $3.75 x3 plus the trail that has 3 calls and a bunch of fracs in the pot from the preflop action.

In general, bets should only be made in full $ post flop if the game uses fracs anyways. And $5 increments in $1/1 and above.

Calculating pot is not very difficult, and to make it easier round off the pot to the nearest $5 if playing $1/1 or nearest $1 if playing with fracs.

Nobody needs to be multiplying $3.75 x3 plus the trail that has 3 calls and a bunch of fracs in the pot from the preflop action.

In general, bets should only be made in full $ post flop if the game uses fracs anyways. And $5 increments in $1/1 and above.
Sure totally understood! Thought it would be helpful for people still learning how to calculate pot bets who want to start playing right away.

“Not very difficult” is relative, especially if recs are only playing once in a while. I know a lot of guys who play fairly regularly and can’t calculate it quickly, or players who get into arguments over the accurate answer. Slows the game down. A tool like this could be great for learning and speed things up until guys get the hang of it.

Calculate "pot" might not exactly be "very" difficult, but I wouldn't call it "easy", either, dedicated dealer or no. Rounding to the $1, $5, or even $10 should help move things along and is a reasonable compromise.

@mooncereal your efforts are appreciated. Have you tried it in live play yet? My worry is that handling a phone and inputting bets would itself be a bit of a slowdown, especially if you've got a stub in one hand.

The one time I dealt PLO for an entire session I tried to pre-calculate what a "pot" raise would be as the action moved along. I think the players found it helpful.

it's daunting for me to calculate the pot, especially in home games where bets/raises can go "pot, pot, pot, pot".

You've got some splashy friends if they go "pot, pot, pot, pot" on any street before the river. I mean, that's more than an 80x multiplier of the initial pot/bet by the 4th action!

Calculate "pot" might not exactly be "very" difficult, but I wouldn't call it "easy", either, dedicated dealer or no. Rounding to the $1, $5, or even $10 should help move things along and is a reasonable compromise.

@mooncereal your efforts are appreciated. Have you tried it in live play yet? My worry is that handling a phone and inputting bets would itself be a bit of a slowdown, especially if you've got a stub in one hand.

The one time I dealt PLO for an entire session I tried to pre-calculate what a "pot" raise would be as the action moved along. I think the players found it helpful.
I will be trying it out on Saturday to see if it helps. Will report back!

The one tip that has help me is;

3x the value of whatever is to your right + add up the remaining tail + pot.

And another thing that helped me keep the numbers straight as dealer was to organize the pot into stacks at the end of every street and announce pot contents so everybody knows.

You've got some splashy friends if they go "pot, pot, pot, pot" on any street before the river. I mean, that's more than an 80x multiplier of the initial pot/bet by the 4th action!
I've been to games like that before. Once we decided to play O/8 after a tourney and I broke the game 4 hands in. Everyone insisted on betting pot, pot, pot, pot on every street as I quietly held the nut flush and nut low with the A2hh on an unpaired board. They were all bloating the pot with nothing but non nut low hands since the flop was all low. Made the flush on the turn at which point my inner monologue was like lord Jesus don't you pair this mfin board on me now. lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom