Kristen Foxen 2nd in chips with 15 left in 2024 WSOP Main (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
She's an absolute beast, and if she can pull off the first female winner in history of the Main Event it's going to make national news and we'll see another golden age of poker ushered in, with lots more interest from ladies in participating. Really rooting for her here!

foxen.png

I have mad respect for Kristen Foxen. Not just another wife of a poker pro. 4 wsop bracelets. Down to 2.5M a few levels ago and spiked that river A :cool

What would you have them do?
Preserve the integrity of the game and play to win.
Soft play is pretty common at a cash table between regs when you’re clearly the fish.
This wasn't a cash game.

Soft play between 2 opponents when you're the 3rd wheel 3 handed is completely inappropriate and in violation of the spirit of the competition. Poker is difficult enough without 2 players essentially colluding against you.

I know it isn't a fair comparison, but I run a league where there are multiple married couples who regularly play with us. If they ever soft played against one another, they'd be banned.

The bottom line there are no friends when you're in a hand against one another. Granted, it's easy for me to say that and I'm sure it's not easy being in the final 3 of a major event with your fiancé. But I hold the position that you must set aside all personal feelings and relationships while you're in the game, and there's no hard feelings after the fact.

PS I also never let my kids win at anything. It means so much more to them when they beat me knowing I was trying my hardest.

Shes out. I am slightly confused by her all in jam. Was she turning her pair into a bluff?
Decision fatigue is a real thing. You probably have no idea how grueling a 2-week event can be. The pressure to drag every pot you can by whatever means necessary is enormous.

She in all likelihood overthought the entire hand, and clearly over estimated her fold equity in that spot. Her opponent's bet put her in a position where she couldn't call... her options were fold or jam. Folding was the correct play (on the flop as well, IMO) but she elected to jam - probably surmising there was a reasonable % that her opponent held a hand that couldn't deal with that type of pressure considering the stack she held.

It was a bad miscalculation from a great player at a most unfortunate time. Undoubtedly, she'll reflect and learn from this. GG and much respect for playing to win the tournament at every stage.

Decision fatigue is a real thing. You probably have no idea how grueling a 2-week event can be. The pressure to drag every pot you can by whatever means necessary is enormous.

She in all likelihood overthought the entire hand, and clearly over estimated her fold equity in that spot. Her opponent's bet put her in a position where she couldn't call... her options were fold or jam. Folding was the correct play (on the flop as well, IMO) but she elected to jam - probably surmising there was a reasonable % that her opponent held a hand that couldn't deal with that type of pressure considering the stack she held.

It was a bad miscalculation from a great player at a most unfortunate time. Undoubtedly, she'll reflect and learn from this. GG and much respect for playing to win the tournament at every stage.
As far as the "Decision fatigue" department goes out of the remaining field she most likely had more live experience than anyone giving her an edge in whatever importance you want to assign to that. Astedt mostly plays online 99% of the time but if you wanted to say he is more acclimated to grinding then that's fine. She also said after the fact she was okay with her decision. Perhaps when she gets some sleep, she is going to see the light lol? I doubt it but I'm interested to hear her reasoning. Obviously, she is a great player.

Late to the party. Just saw the hand. I wonder if there was the good ole reverse tells at play. CLC camp is big on it.

And he seemed to give off some things when she glanced his direction. I dunno if I could pull it off but if ever there was a spot to get yourself some reverse tells built up it’s there, against an opponent who will notice and probably adjust

As far as the "Decision fatigue" department goes out of the remaining field she most likely had more live experience than anyone giving her an edge in whatever importance you want to assign to that. Astedt mostly plays online 99% of the time but if you wanted to say he is more acclimated to grinding then that's fine. She also said after the fact she was okay with her decision. Perhaps when she gets some sleep, she is going to see the light lol? I doubt it but I'm interested to hear her reasoning. Obviously, she is a great player.
I've never played in the ME so I can't speak from personal experience. But I can imagine what an event like this must be like as a player advances. There's massive pressure that literally amplifies with every passing level. There is just so much riding on EVERY decision.

Folding is often difficult in a regular tournament. But imagine what that must be like in that environment? The ICM pressure, the size of the field she had to wade though, the stage itself, the caliber of her opponents, the world watching on TV, the added element of her gender and potentially making history... it's just crazy to think about.

Middle pair with a gutshot is the classic 'way ahead or way behind' scenario that should be avoided whenever possible. Easy for me to say sitting in front of my computer - but in that spot I'd prefer to see her find a fold.

Middle pair with a gutshot is the classic 'way ahead or way behind' scenario that should be avoided whenever possible. Easy for me to say sitting in front of my computer - but in that spot I'd prefer to see her find a fold.
Should definitely be peeling one there drawing to the stones.

Way ahead or way behind implies a polarized range. jamming is exactly what you should do in polarized spots.

I think her hand was played in a polarized way in a spot where it was a little too likely that the other player would be near top of range and find a call.

Her hand was too much in the middle for a polarized approach to be optimal. Probably. In hindsight. Honestly you just need to hit the 10. She could work on running better on all ins.

Preserve the integrity of the game and play to win.

This wasn't a cash game.

Soft play between 2 opponents when you're the 3rd wheel 3 handed is completely inappropriate and in violation of the spirit of the competition. Poker is difficult enough without 2 players essentially colluding against you.

I know it isn't a fair comparison, but I run a league where there are multiple married couples who regularly play with us. If they ever soft played against one another, they'd be banned.

The bottom line there are no friends when you're in a hand against one another. Granted, it's easy for me to say that and I'm sure it's not easy being in the final 3 of a major event with your fiancé. But I hold the position that you must set aside all personal feelings and relationships while you're in the game, and there's no hard feelings after the fact.

PS I also never let my kids win at anything. It means so much more to them when they beat me knowing I was trying my hardest.
Yeah, I’ll say that one looked like it was at least a touch soft. The problem is that especially in tournaments, it’s often hard to tell for sure, with ICM and so many other issues, especially when you know your opponent and you think there will be better spots. But that’s more of a general “be careful ranting about soft play in tournaments rant.” I’m not going to argue with anybody who wants to call that one out.
For what it’s worth, I’ve had the opportunity to watch them play at the same table on Pokergo at least a couple of times in the past couple of years and I’ve seen them go right after each other. So as of 2024, I have no complaints about either of those two.

And they’re both on the top of the game. I think Kristen is the better Holdem player. But Alex might have an all-around edge, only because I’ve actually seen him play other games, unlike Kristen.
Anyway, I was pulling hard to her. Not so much for the last woman standing business, but just because she’s really good. She’s got a great sense for where she is, and she’s entertaining to watch because she’s always ready to turn it into a bluff. It didn’t work out this time for her, but it usually does.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom