Looking for opinions - I am going to need a new A/C (1 Viewer)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
My 18 year old A/C unit is reaching the end of its lifespan. One of the major parts needs to be replaced (variable speed fan) and the two bids I got were $1,400 and $1800 with each company suggesting it is better to replace a unit that old rather than risk subsequent repairs like the compressor going out. I agree with this assessment. It can easily turn into a money pit that ends up costing more than just buying a new replacement unit.

I am seeing some nasty reviews on various major product lines. So many vitriolic reviews that I suspect the companies are attacking each others product lines by leaving hostile feedback. I have not seen so much negativity and even hostility in any product class I have ever purchased. Though I expect if the Internet existed back in the day when American made cars were so awful I might have found something similar.

This has caught me by surprise. A/C technology is very well solved. We aren't talking about anything exotic. Yet it appears that a fair chuck of the products offered are terrible values, no matter how well known the brand name is. (And there aren't but a handful of makers even though there are dozens of "brands".)

The A/C is perhaps the most important appliance for someone living in Texas. I know the hundred degree days of summer are just around the corner. So there isn't a lot of time to ponder this decision. But I'd not like to spend close to ten thousand bucks only to find I ended up with nothing more than an expensive pain in the butt that doesn't reliably keep my house comfortable.

DrStrange

Hey Doc,

I am not handy nor an HVAC expert, but I will share my opinion as I have purchased 2 AC units in the last few years. @Quicksilver-75 asks a very good question about square footage. My old house was like 1800 sq ft (including basement) and I had my 17 year old AC unit swapped out with a 3 ton, 13 SEER (13 is the least energy efficient allowed by law I believe) Goodman unit for $1,500 total (including labor). This included a blower to push this extra air around the house. This was a very good deal in the Philadelphia market, which I would figure is pricier than Texas, but greater vendor saturation, so more price competition.

My current house (around 3,500 sq ft) only had 1 zone AC (4 Ton, 13 SEER I believe), so I added one in the attic to blow down onto the top floor. For an Amana 3 ton, 14 SEER unit and all vents it cost $6,000 installed.

My recommendation would be to purchase a new unit and blower. The lower the SEER (efficiency), the cheaper the unit, so I would say a 3-4 ton, 13-14 SEER unit should work for you, unless your house is > 4000 sq ft, to which you may want to consider more tonnage. Rigging up an old unit is purely a money pit venture in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm by no means a HVAC expert either but I did save a ton of money on my car insurance.... an AC unit replacement.

My last house the AC unit failed (had a leak and the compressor got hot and blew a hole through the side of it). It was from 1998 so it was an R22 (If I remember correctly). I ended up going through a wholesale HVAC supplier to get a Goodman 2.5 Ton 13 Seer unit for around 650 bucks. My dad and I removed the old unit which was completely empty (we tried evacuating the system but a big hole in the compressor meant everything was gone already). We did the install ourselves and just paid my neighbor who was an HVAC guy to pull a vacuum on the system to make sure there weren't any leaks and then he re-charged it. Total cost was like 900 doing it that way.

My house is ~5,000 SQ feet. It is zoned, roughly 2,000 on one unit and 3,000 for the one that is out. The old unit was a 14 SEER - likely one of the higher end units from the 1990s but now that is the lowest quality unit commonly sold.

How about a 4 ton, 18 SEER Amana unit. ~$2,100 + shipping on the Sears website, so I would figure whatever company you use couldn't gouge you too much on price. I would think installed would be around $3,500 with the necessary hardware. Better than spending $1,400 or $1,800 on a temporary fix, then having to spend the full amount shortly after.

Don't listen to these yankees Doc. You probably pay $1000+ annually in electricity costs for your A/C. If you can cut that by 20% spending a bit more? +EV all day.

I'll run your numbers by my friend who's an A/C guy and get back to you.

My house is ~5,000 SQ feet. It is zoned, roughly 2,000 on one unit and 3,000 for the one that is out. The old unit was a 14 SEER - likely one of the higher end units from the 1990s but now that is the lowest quality unit commonly sold.

1 story 2 or 3?

what type of fuel..all electric, natural gas,propane?

My central AC is over 15 years old. I had to replace a cracked condesation pan and a dual run capacitor (looks like a soda can ). Both times they suggested replacing the entire system.

I just fixed it myself. $35 in parts.

Have you priced the new part yourself? As long as you don't have to mess with the line set/refrigerant, swapping components is pretty simple.

Absent a load calculation, the rule of thumb is 500 sq ft/ton, according to my A/C guy. Unless you have a well insulated place with sprayfoam and good windows, you're probably looking at 5 ton. His guess for an 18 SEER 5 ton was $10k+ installed. Get some quotes and have them show you some numbers. Where do you keep your thermostat set? The colder you like it, the more tons you need.

My house is one story, metal roof and stone exterior. The windows are mid range - double pane. There are a lot of windows, really a lot. Everything is electric except for the stove and decorative fireplaces which are propane.

The broke part is a variable speed fan. It is obsolete. I got two bids for the work (and didn't tell the second guy what the first guy said). Both had the same diagnosis and roughly comparable part cost.

We use the A/C as the heater in the winter. So I am not just focusing on the summer months for cost savings. My worst electrical bill of the year is always in the cold months.

I am using several calculators for figuring the trade off between a more expensive unit / higher SEER unit vs the energy savings. It isn't cut and dried that the more efficient unit is worth the extra cost. For example, one estimate was a $50/year savings on a jump from a 14 SEER to a 15 SEER unit. It took well over ten years just to recover the cost, and once I tossed in the lost earnings on the money invested in the better unit, it never would pay for itself.

My house is one story, metal roof and stone exterior. The windows are mid range - double pane. There are a lot of windows, really a lot. Everything is electric except for the stove and decorative fireplaces which are propane.

my mom bought a brand new home that the heat runs on propane, i am not a big fan of it since i think a heat pump would have been more efficient for her as she is in FL for the winters and she lives in the southeast USA anyway....small home 2,200 sf and i hate the heat pump hybrid hot water tank they put in also...all this energy efficient shit i think getas out of hand but i only know just enought to bitch about it.... would like to hear others that know more than i about propane heat vrs standard heat pump in mild climate

do you have an amply supply of propane that could run a furnace?....so it sounds like you have a heat pump now, one story with 5,000 SF is alot of SF for a heat pump, my opinion, but i forgot you have 2 units....

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom