Moxington & Archie Variants: Thoughts? (5 Viewers)

Moxie Mike

Full House
Reaction score
So if Moxington isn't ridiculous enough, we're working on some variants that might be interesting.

In case you're unaware, Moxington is a split pot double board game where the best 5 card Omaha Hi hand at showdown splits the pot and eliminates the board used to make the hand. The remaining board is then used to determine a winner for the other half of the pot in a 5-card super-holdem hand.

We've been playing it as part of our mixed game, FL rotation since May. Since leaving well enough alone isn't something we do, it's time to dream up some variants.

Moxington variants:

Challenge: 7-handed, Moxington requires 45 cards not accounting for burn cards. 8-handed, the game requires the entire deck.

My first thought was to add a draw after the flop action like in Draw2maha but the problem is there aren't enough cards in the stub unless you limit it to 6 players. And even then you can only draw 2.

Another idea I had was to have a round of discards preflop, then deal the flop and the subsequent betting round. After the betting round but before the turn card is placed, the player's cards are replaced by cards from the discard pile including preflop mucked cards. This preserves the stub and the integrity of the turn and river cards. You could also do this after the flop I suppose but seeing two flops before discarding probably is too much information.

Yet another idea was to conduct the draw in some fashion, but all replacement cards are dealt face-up to each player.

I heard about a few Archie variants that might be worth trying:

49: Similar to Draw2maha 49, with a qualifier of at least 35 points. Splits with the best poker hand.

Zero: Similar to Draw2maha zero, with a qualifier of 10 points or fewer. Splits with the best poker hand.

777: Pot is potentially split 3-ways: 7-low, badugi with a 7 or lower qualifier and best poker hand with trip 7s as a qualifier.

tagging @Jimulacrum, @GrindstonePoker & @Steppenwolf for perspective.

I don’t have intuition about variants of Moxington which improve fun until I have played the original first

I hope to call at next meetup

Archie I have played so my thoughts on variants. And really depends on what you want to get out of the variants;

777: doesnt seem challenging, go low here and draw to 7 low hope to hit badugi and straight…might get stale. Maybe I’m missing some intricacy of a counter strategy when everyone else goes the route I describe but I think just drawing to high 1/3 of the pot isn’t profitable

0: keepers correlate too much with going high hand, just keep faces and aces, this one will be very straightforward draw strategy. Interesting things happen when OOP has the draw advantage of fresh cards (the recycled cards will be super garbage). Having exactly 6 players is probably preferred

49: seems “best” (which is surely subjective) of the posted variants as there are less two way hands

My first thought was to add a draw after the flop action like in Draw2maha but the problem is there aren't enough cards in the stub unless you limit it to 6 players. And even then you can only draw 2.

Another idea I had was to have a round of discards preflop, then deal the flop and the subsequent betting round. After the betting round but before the turn card is placed, the player's cards are replaced by cards from the discard pile including preflop mucked cards. This preserves the stub and the integrity of the turn and river cards. You could also do this after the flop I suppose but seeing two flops before discarding probably is too much information.

Yet another idea was to conduct the draw in some fashion, but all replacement cards are dealt face-up to each player.
I believe I have the medicine for your sickness, sir. Try rolling this feature into Moxington.

1727926630440.png

Swapping cards like this (ideally 1 or maybe 2 in a flop game) can add a really interesting twist.

:tup: Drawing a new card is great because duh.
:tup: Giving your discards to an opponent adds strategic depth.
:tup: Stub is unmolested, so this feature can be layered into any game that already fits the table size.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom