New to Chips! (1 Viewer)

bernbetspoker

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am getting hooked young! I just joined PCF yesterday after about 4 to 5 days of research on poker chips. I come from a home game where a friend of mine has the clay showdowns from Chip Cave. I thought these were the most amazing chips and perfectly priced. After playing a lot more and realizing I would eventually want to start hosting 1/2 games and then 2/5 games as I age out of college, I wanted to get a set of my own that would meet these needs. I fell in love with the look of the classic ceramics from the poker store (linked below) but am learning more that these can be "fake nice" and that the Milanos are the way to go. Looking for any advice that people have as I am very new, don't know what purchase I should make for 1000 chips, and am probably fairly underbudgeted. Thank you and I look forward to the many years I will have on this site!

https://www.thepokerstore.com/products/1000-classic-ceramic-10-gram-poker-chips

Welcome!

Keep researching and don’t rush your decisions. I wouldn’t buy new ceramics other than from BRpro or the Tina hybrids. Anything else is most likely overpriced and/or junk.

Milanos are fine for their price point, but the rabbit hole is way deeper if you keep looking.

Unlikely you’ll need as many as 1000 chips. A single cash table can easily be covered using 700 and a single tournament table using only 400 chips.

Good luck on your journey!

Take your time and get samples so you can see in person and shuffle

Take your time, and fresh out of college don't host 2/5 games. If you're underrolled to buy a set of low end chips you're probably underrolled for playing/hosting $2/5! Milanos are fake nice too.

There's a huge range of chips, but like @allforcharity said I doubt you need 1000. You'll end up buying way more than that, sure, but need is a funny word around here.

Welcome!

Keep researching and don’t rush your decisions. I wouldn’t buy new ceramics other than from BRpro or the Tina hybrids. Anything else is most likely overpriced and/or junk.

Milanos are fine for their price point, but the rabbit hole is way deeper if you keep looking.

Unlikely you’ll need as many as 1000 chips. A single cash table can easily be covered using 700 and a single tournament table using only 400 chips.

Good luck on your journey!
Thank you! 700 does seem like it would make more sense. Do you have any suggestions on chips that would be "better" than milanos but still in a 400-600 price range?

Take your time, and fresh out of college don't host 2/5 games. If you're underrolled to buy a set of low end chips you're probably underrolled for playing/hosting $2/5! Milanos are fake nice too.

There's a huge range of chips, but like @allforcharity said I doubt you need 1000. You'll end up buying way more than that, sure, but need is a funny word around here.
Thank you! Thankfully I won't be out of college until 2027 so I plan to continue to build up my bankroll, hopefully! Just out of curiosity, if Milanos are considered low end what would a mid-tier chip be? Thank you again and I bet I could search around and find the answer so I am sorry if this isn't the place to ask!

No problem, keep bouncing around here. I enjoy cheaper chips which are 100x better than the slugged versions you're considering! Lookup ChipCos, RHC, No Molds, all kinds of nonsense that this site considers midtier that I absolutely love. Prices can look really high but you can get all kinds of customization. It'll be tough to beat 30cents/chip, but you can definitely get away with between 50c-$1/chip and you won't need 1000.

My honest advice is forget you found this place at your stage. Spend a few hundred on a 600 chip breakdown for a small home game and never come back. You'll be happier and your chips will impress all your friends. You've been warned.

Thank you! 700 does seem like it would make more sense. Do you have any suggestions on chips that would be "better" than milanos but still in a 400-600 price range?
Welcome, you should get samples before purchasing. For the price range, it seems that you can't really get Paulsons, but I think there's some guy selling 720 HSI chipcos ceramics for $500. Personally, I prefer the feeling and sound of chipco chips. But you should totally get samples first.

Whether they are better than Milanos is a matter of opinion, but I would suggest Tina hybrids. I am very impressed with those at their price point, which is well within your budget.

Your budget also isn’t far off from Paulson RHC if you can manage with 600-700 chips

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom