New to the Game (1 Viewer)

desselBANE

Pair
Reaction score
I'm hosting a poker tournament next weekend for the first time. Just 9 guys. I've played poker with friends before but nothing that's legit. No blind structure, games lasting entirely too long. I got Monte Carlo chips which are a huge upgrade from my Walmart chips I've had in the past. Anyone have any advice for running a home game that's important or overlooked? I've got the starting stack and blind structure all set up with 1 rebuy before first break. This is my first time here (been lurking for a few weeks) so also just here to say hello.

I'm hosting a poker tournament next weekend for the first time. Just 9 guys. I've played poker with friends before but nothing that's legit. No blind structure, games lasting entirely too long. I got Monte Carlo chips which are a huge upgrade from my Walmart chips I've had in the past. Anyone have any advice for running a home game that's important or overlooked? I've got the starting stack and blind structure all set up with 1 rebuy before first break. This is my first time here (been lurking for a few weeks) so also just here to say hello.
People here are helpful. Glad you’re no longer a lurker.

“The world needs more home poker hosts”
- anonymous home poker host

Last edited:
My tips for running any game. Have the money up front. Doesn't matter how well you know the guys, its just easier and cleaner to make sure you have the cash in hand before they get the chips. Your job is to make everyone whole at the end of the night, and unless you are ready to dip into your own pocket.

Get plastic cards. And if you dont want to do that make sure you have extra sets of cards, one stray water ring can soak a bicycle fast and make the deck unusable. Especially if people are doing some drinking and having fun.

Get a table topper, playing on a wooden table is a PITA. And leads to too many card flashes.

Just doing basic simple things can go a long way to keep everything fun and friendly. People can get weird when they get competitive, and doubly so when money is involved (even if its for a few quarters).

Good luck and welcome!

Welcome! You can post your stacks and structures if you'd like, otherwise good job hosting.

Going to be great, enjoy.
Thanks! I'm excited to see how it plays out

My tips for running any game. Have the money up front. Doesn't matter how well you know the guys, its just easier and cleaner to make sure you have the cash in hand before they get the chips. Your job is to make everyone whole at the end of the night, and unless you are ready to dip into your own pocket.

Get plastic cards. And if you dont want to do that make sure you have extra sets of cards, one stray water ring can soak a bicycle fast and make the deck unusable. Especially if people are doing some drinking and having fun.

Get a table topper, playing on a wooden table is a PITA. And leads to too many card flashes.

Just doing basic simple things can go a long way to keep everything fun and friendly. People can get weird when they get competitive, and doubly so when money is involved (even if its for a few quarters).

Good luck and welcome!
Thanks for the tips! I do have plastic cards but just a wooden table as of right now. We'll see what happens

Thank you!

Why tourney instead of a cash game with so few players? If it is a cash game then everyone can play as long as they like. Do you have anything to keep players busy that have busted out early or if final 3 takes a long time??

Why tourney instead of a cash game with so few players? If it is a cash game then everyone can play as long as they like. Do you have anything to keep players busy that have busted out early or if final 3 takes a long time??
No particular reason, just what the majority of guys wanted to play. Yeah they're all friends from work so I have yard games and lots of beer if people wanna stick around after they're out

Thanks! I'm excited to see how it plays out

Thanks for the tips! I do have plastic cards but just a wooden table as of right now. We'll see what happens

Thank you!
I got this one from amazon when I started and it is fantastic for the price. Holds off stains incredibly well, and despite staying rolled up 98% of its life doesnt roll on the edges when rolled out.

https://a.co/d/46tKw4j

No particular reason, just what the majority of guys wanted to play. Yeah they're all friends from work so I have yard games and lots of beer if people wanna stick around after they're out
Welcome fellow lurker,

I initially used to hold tourney games as well, as most of the new guys watch WSOP and we thought that was how poker is played.
When we switched over to cash games. the consensus was that it was far more enjoyable and made a lot more sense. (not locking someone out from playing if they bust out just after first break)

Welcome! Lots of great resources & people on here! Great job jumping in and hosting! It’s a blast! I can sometimes be challenging, but in many of our opinions, the rewards outweigh the negatives.

Have fun, experiment (remember that the each group is different so what works for one group may or may not work for yours, so try different styles of poker, side bets, etc. and see what people enjoy), and we’re here as your game grows! :)

Welcome, plenty of good advice above, have fun hosting & playing

Welcome! It warms my heart every time I hear that a person is starting up a card game. All the above info is great. I also highly recommend switching to a cash game. I personally prefer playing in a tournament but for home games I had to switch it up to cash. One of the main reasons is that all the players came to play poker and will end up getting knocked out and end up leaving or just wandering around your house.

Also there is the variance factor. You are only gonna win a tourney every so often. Players may go weeks and weeks donating and get upset that they aren't taking any money home.

If you decide to just pay out the top 2 or 3 because you want the winnings to be juicy then even less people are gonna be profitable. If you spread it out to top 5 then you should just give all 9 players a payout.

Cash you can set it to a cheap blind .5/.10 with players able to re-buy all night, cash out when they leave, want or have to, better chance to leave the game up and keep them at the table and not in your upstairs hallway.

You can add mixed games to the mix when playing cash. And bomb pots.

And get a hot dog roller ASAP. At first we ordered food and took a break but that killed the game a few nights. Hot dog roller= player gets up in between hands and scarfs one down. Game continues with no break.

I suggest turning your pals on to high stakes poker or other cash game content. I'm assuming most of your players watch poker? Get them into cash at home and then go play in tourneys that are well structured and ran by someone else so you can enjoy the game.

Those monte Carlos are pretty nice chips. I’ve hosted a few games myself and it can be a lot of fun so welcome and good luck! People on here have been super helpful so you’re in good hands going forward

Welcome! It warms my heart every time I hear that a person is starting up a card game. All the above info is great. I also highly recommend switching to a cash game. I personally prefer playing in a tournament but for home games I had to switch it up to cash. One of the main reasons is that all the players came to play poker and will end up getting knocked out and end up leaving or just wandering around your house.

Also there is the variance factor. You are only gonna win a tourney every so often. Players may go weeks and weeks donating and get upset that they aren't taking any money home.

If you decide to just pay out the top 2 or 3 because you want the winnings to be juicy then even less people are gonna be profitable. If you spread it out to top 5 then you should just give all 9 players a payout.

Cash you can set it to a cheap blind .5/.10 with players able to re-buy all night, cash out when they leave, want or have to, better chance to leave the game up and keep them at the table and not in your upstairs hallway.

You can add mixed games to the mix when playing cash. And bomb pots.

And get a hot dog roller ASAP. At first we ordered food and took a break but that killed the game a few nights. Hot dog roller= player gets up in between hands and scarfs one down. Game continues with no break.
I think I'll be switching to a cash game next! I'll have to get new chips for the right denom, shoot dang lol. But after doin more reading on cash games I think it would be more fun. And a hot dog roller is genius

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom