Oil seeping though the labels. (1 Viewer)

Antrooper

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yesterday when I was using the water-oil method to oil my chips, I got into an emergency and when I come back, there's oil seeping though labels of my chips. I tried to fix the situation by drying most of them and left around 10 inside a night. And today it seems that there are no changes regarding the drying/back into solution on the chips. Am I fucked? Or is there anyway to fix it.

I didn’t reply because I have no firsthand experience, but you were the first one I thought of. I’m sure you’re far far far from the only one, but good on you for sharing the story.
Hey if somebody can learn from my mistakes, then it wasn't a complete lost cause. Shame it's been so long since I've bumped that thread too. Maybe @Machine can sticky it somewhere useful?

Last edited:
It really sucks. Try some of the tips in the thread I shared, sometimes if it's oil/water mix you have a better chance of it being less noticeable once completely dry
The good thing I'm currently have is that after a night sitting out by themselves, some chips seems have dried and have unnoticeable marks. But for those that are really messed up I might experiment then with dumping them in oil to get them all soaked up.

The good thing I'm currently have is that after a night sitting out by themselves, some chips seems have dried and have unnoticeable marks. But for those that are really messed up I might experiment then with dumping them in oil to get them all soaked up.
I tried that with a few, it's not a good look. Over time the oil will turn a burnt orange color leaving a completely hideous inlay

I always oil by hand and wipe the excess off the inlays immediately after setting them out to dry. Takes longer but you will avoid oil getting into the inlay and also have a better and consistent application. Some people use the gel which supposedly can sit on the inlay for a long time and not seep in. I haven’t tried that yet because I still haven’t run out of mineral oil from my first bottle…lol. I hope this was not your WTHCs!

what kind of chips? do you have any photos?

I don't use oil/water method on clay chips with inlays because I've never got a consistently good result, and now if I have to worry about oil damage then that moves me further away. At least with my rag application method I have almost complete control.

With my CPCs I only did rolling edge oiling by using the rotating barrel in rack method and everything turned out fine.

With my CPCs I only did rolling edge oiling by using the rotating barrel in rack method and everything turned out fine.
Agreed! With oil, stick with just the edges.
IMG_5868.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom