PM vs Dibs (6 Viewers)

Mangatang

Straight
Reaction score
When responding to a for-sale classified ad, is simply saying, “PM sent” the equivalent of calling, “Dibs”?

I always say “Dibs” or “I’ll take them” in the thread, then follow up with a PM.

I’ve notice quite a few people just stating “PM’d” in the thread, and it always feels to me like angle-shooting. I imagine them trying to have the best of both worlds, holding first in line spot, but not committing to the purchase yet.

If I list something for sale, I'm usually going to sell to the first person who expressed interest, whether it was by posting something like dibs or whether it was PMing me a question. But nobody here has any obligations and there aren't any rules - we all can sell to whomever we choose.

I take it as dibs if the follow up questions by the buyer are agreed to by seller.

However, as the seller, even if I were to agree to terms, a dibs post “PM sent” may get my priority over “PM sent”.

If in doubt and u want them, always “dibs”.

PM should indicate interest but further discussion of the details. Dibs is the (unofficial) equivalent of raising your paddle at an auction (dib=bid) or claiming an item.

I’m all over the place here but might ask the PM guy to go back and dibs in the thread for clarity to any other potential buyer. My stuff has a niche market so a person could probably PM and not worry about getting jumped in the thread.

I'll post "PM incoming" if I'm interested in part of a larger collection of items in a sale. I'll then message the seller with the thing I'm interested in.

I figure that clutters things less than "dibs one of the three barrels of the tertiary Club Unobtanium T3k chips".

If I want the whole shebang, it's going to be "dibs everything".

Needless to say, no matter the case, a prompt PM to the seller is the way to go. Don't leave them hanging and don't expect them to do the work for you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom