Poker for beginners (1 Viewer)

UncleMilty

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
I’m trying to get more people involved in my regular home games. I’m often told “I’d love too and it looks like a lot of fun, but I don’t know how to play”. I’m looking for advice on teaching new players the game.

There must be a good YouTube video.

But probably best to show them in person.

Maybe have a newbie hour before a game to show people the ropes?

I’m trying to get more people involved in my regular home games. I’m often told “I’d love too and it looks like a lot of fun, but I don’t know how to play”. I’m looking for advice on teaching new players the game.
Do a learning hour before the game where you can go over basics and logic. Then the first game, give a ton of grace towards everyone playing. Give advice and corrections more than a real poker game. Do some cheap fun tournaments to let people learn without dumping cash stacks.

If they have fun and get it, they will be asking you to host another game. And it'll slowly become more serious.

I hosted a game with lots of new people. We played 2 rounds before it started officially where people bet with chips just right in front of them but nobody collected them or anything. Then one of the new guys won the tournament and walked away with 300 bucks lol

I don't remember where I heard it but the saying goes, "It's easier to turn poker players in to friends than friends in to poker players." I've found that to be very true.

When I still lived near more people and was helping run a weekly STT we would tell any new players to show up an hour early (which meant they were usually all there by a half hour early) and then we'd run through the basic rules and hand out order of hand charts. Then run out 2 hands face up to the flop (so I could give some basic hand advice and compare to the hand ranking chart) and several full hands face down to get a feel for actual play.

We'd make and drag pots, then I'd fix the starting stacks before the actual tourney because I found it sunk in better if they actually put chips in and saw them moving around.

Would doing one night as the dealer be helpful ? I tried it once and some of my friends even bought dice chips in the following week to play with their friends and families.

You can have everyone learn the rules and feel like they're on an equal footing with the other players. It also makes the game a lot more social and upbeat.

Play a tournament of three handed holdem. They can learn how pairs, suited connectors, and random cards work out in every hand

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom