Tourney Seeking additional tournament gear recommendations - T25 (20k starting stack) for >40players (16 Viewers)

MC_CPA

Reaction score
Howdy friends, thanks for having me on this forum. I wanted to get a sense on whether any additional items are available to improve the quality of a large tournament. I see lots of tournament directors and experienced hosts on this forum and would appreciate any feedback.

Just some background, my local University has a poker club for their students, and its open to alumni, so I bought a poker set for them to use for their large events. They had a turnout of ~40 players on opening night. The structure is a 20k starting stack tournament with no antes & no rebuys that has to wrap up in four hours, we all play for fun and there's no prizes (other than bragging rights). Starting stacks are the 8/8/6/6/2 breakdown for 25/100/500/1k/5k. The set-up is a step up from the dice chips and the bicycle cards they've been using, and I just wanted to give these guys the poker experience I wish I had while at University.

What other gear would you guys recommend buying? I'm in Canada but have both US and CAN addresses so shipping is not an issue.
  1. I'm considering adding some of those triangle "all in" buttons I see on TV.
  2. Also considering a few more sets of cards so they can play with two good decks per table (the current setup is one KEM deck and one used bicycle deck). We do have cut cards.
  3. I'm planning on upgrading the plaques to the Majestic plaques from Apache but they are out of stock on their 25k plaques. I expect these to come in as the group grows.
  4. I only have enough starting stacks for 43 people, it got close to that on opening day so I might buy more greens/blacks/purples to get it to 50 equal opening stacks. This might be a trap though, maybe I could hand out (4) pink $5ks to latecomers and request them to make change at the table.
  5. Budget is maybe another few hundred dollars, so not enough to convert these to Tiger Palace chips. Maybe one day in the future lol.
  6. For tables they just use random classrooms on campus, but there are nice tables that can seat up to 9. Maybe I can consider table toppers.
I'm also open to critiques on the tournament structure, would rather not haul around so many greens if it can be helped. But I feel like I'm already committed because I bought so many greens.

Thanks for your thoughts.

(1) Torin 21" toolbox (carries up to 2,000 chips)
(18) chip racks
(350) Green $25
(350) Black $100
(425) Yellow $1k
(200) Pink $5k
(25) Plaque $25k (to be replaced by Majestics once in stock)
(10) Plaque $100k (Majestics replacements ordered)
(~60) Black/Purple chips (might use these as bounty chips)
(6) decks of KEM Cards
(6) cut cards
(5) dealer pucks (might need more as group grows)

Collection.jpg
StartingStack.jpg

I would suggest starting stack tubes from Uline. They make it really easy at the beginning of the night to just hand each player a tube of chips. Especially if you ever do rebuys. I'm sure I can dig a link up somewhere for them.

20240512_165126.jpg

Howdy friends, thanks for having me on this forum. I wanted to get a sense on whether any additional items are available to improve the quality of a large tournament. I see lots of tournament directors and experienced hosts on this forum and would appreciate any feedback.

Just some background, my local University has a poker club for their students, and its open to alumni, so I bought a poker set for them to use for their large events. They had a turnout of ~40 players on opening night. The structure is a 20k starting stack tournament with no antes & no rebuys that has to wrap up in four hours, we all play for fun and there's no prizes (other than bragging rights). Starting stacks are the 8/8/6/6/2 breakdown for 25/100/500/1k/5k. The set-up is a step up from the dice chips and the bicycle cards they've been using, and I just wanted to give these guys the poker experience I wish I had while at University.

What other gear would you guys recommend buying? I'm in Canada but have both US and CAN addresses so shipping is not an issue.
  1. I'm considering adding some of those triangle "all in" buttons I see on TV.
  2. Also considering a few more sets of cards so they can play with two good decks per table (the current setup is one KEM deck and one used bicycle deck). We do have cut cards.
  3. I'm planning on upgrading the plaques to the Majestic plaques from Apache but they are out of stock on their 25k plaques. I expect these to come in as the group grows.
  4. I only have enough starting stacks for 43 people, it got close to that on opening day so I might buy more greens/blacks/purples to get it to 50 equal opening stacks. This might be a trap though, maybe I could hand out (4) pink $5ks to latecomers and request them to make change at the table.
  5. Budget is maybe another few hundred dollars, so not enough to convert these to Tiger Palace chips. Maybe one day in the future lol.
  6. For tables they just use random classrooms on campus, but there are nice tables that can seat up to 9. Maybe I can consider table toppers.
I'm also open to critiques on the tournament structure, would rather not haul around so many greens if it can be helped. But I feel like I'm already committed because I bought so many greens.

Thanks for your thoughts.

(1) Torin 21" toolbox (carries up to 2,000 chips)
(18) chip racks
(350) Green $25
(350) Black $100
(425) Yellow $1k
(200) Pink $5k
(25) Plaque $25k (to be replaced by Majestics once in stock)
(10) Plaque $100k (Majestics replacements ordered)
(~60) Black/Purple chips (might use these as bounty chips)
(6) decks of KEM Cards
(6) cut cards
(5) dealer pucks (might need more as group grows)

View attachment 1397420View attachment 1397419
I think table toppers are probably gonna be the next best step without breaking the bank. There is a seller (@rjdev7) on here that makes custom ones for about $130 a piece, you may be able to get some deals on a bulk order. It’s probably more pricey than you were looking to spend as for 40-50 people I imagine that’s anywhere from 4-6 tables depending on size, so ~$500 for an average. But I think the money will be much better spent on that rather than all-in buttons or other stuff of that nature.

That's fantastic how you are supporting the cause!! Kudos!

I am curious about your blind levels. Trying to keep a 40 person tournament down to 4 hours with 20k starting stacks sounds like a chore. Curious how aggressive your jumps are for your blind levels.

Make something for seating cards. People always get confused finding their seat in the beginning. Have 2 per seat. You put one at each seat and you give them the other when they buy in. I used a cheap Amazon laminator to make mine
IMG_20220221_134137.jpg

They make a HUGE difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom