Solar generator help (1 Viewer)

99%evil

Straight
Reaction score
With all the natural disasters that seem to be stressing resources lately, I’ve been thinking of getting a solar generator set up. I’ve already got a 9,000w gas generator with a gen Tran switch and a back up 6500w generator, but I’m concerned if we lose power for more than a week, where getting fuel may be an issue. I’ve gone on consumer reports and viewed a bunch of Amazon reviews. I’ve looked at some basic kits with battery packs and solar panels, but I’m not sure if there is a better route to go. Like a computer should I buy a package deal or should I build a system myself and get more bang for the buck. I’m looking at spending a few grand, something small and simple to run the absolute basics ( well pump once a day, boiler, refer) that will charge in a New England winter sun.

Any lone out there have any ideas?

I have an EcoFlow 4 kWh setup with a single solar array (130W/hr). My only goal is to run the internet router during rare outages here in California. Have plenty of other options to charge electronics etc. The one array takes about a week of California sun to charge 2 kWh so at least in my experience I don’t think any portable setup by itself will meet your needs. It’s also very sensitive to angle and is never as efficient as billed. Maybe it would be better if I had 4 arrays but each array costs $200 and my 2 batteries were $1700.

Now in combination with your generators it could give you options but bottom line if you do decide to get a portable battery, don’t skimp on the array panels.

We don't have enough confidence in high-wattage solar solutions yet, so our vote was for a natural gas powered Generac, and a natural gas powered outdoor grill to lessen the power demand on the Generac.

There are EVs that can charge your house now. Basically a giant battery pack that eliminates the need to have power walls that expire in 10 years time (and that cost I dunno 15k each).

PV works best with ESS, but the size varies much on the panel W your type of inverter output and the cost is heavy in the short term… Solar kits are cool but inefficient if your not powering some lighting short term lol

I have a few small 500W-h solar batteries mainly to power small electronics/lights/ham radio/comforts in case of an outage along with 120 watt panels. Recharging them with solar is an option in the summer, but winter months produce < 1/2 the power (at least in the Northeast), so additional rationing is needed to run solar in winter. However none of these is going to run anything big like a fridge, water pump, heat, etc...they are just for small electronics during a short (or very long) outage. You can easily move them where you need them to run a TV, internet modem (if cable/fiber is still up), small lights, charge phones, run a radio, run small fans, maybe a coffee maker, etc.

Even a large 2000+ Wh solar generator won't really come anywhere near running a house for long. I have a friend who built a full size solar array (30+ 400 Watt panels I think) and bought two Tesla powerwalls that generates several dozen KWh per day in the summer, but he also has many 10's of thousands of dollars tied up in it. Even then the powerwalls will only store a day or two of energy at full home usage.

To run a fridge/freezer for any reasonable amount of time you need a gas generator. My strategy was to actually purchase very small 2000 watt generators, and run them every 4-6 hours to keep the fridge powered along with recharging the solar/batteries. The main advantage of using a very small generator is that they can run about 6 hours on a gallon of gas, so if you have 20-30 gallons stored at a gallon or so a day you can keep your fridge and electronics fed for a month or so. A big generator is nice, but its hard to store enough fuel for long unless you have a propane generator and 300+ gallon tank.

Obviously you also need to have cooking, water and heat. Fortunately I have a gas stove with a large tank for it, plenty of wood and a wood stove for heat, and also a fresh water source nearby I can filter.

So to conclude - yes the solar batteries are nice for small electronics, but probably too expensive and limited to run large appliances without a huge dollar investment. They can be a nice supplement for small gas generators as they keep you from having to run the gas generator all day. If I had a 300+ gallon propane tank, I would probably buy a Generac or other whole house generator. Without the large propane tank its really not practical to store enough gas to keep a large generator going very long - so small generators used strategically may be your best bet for an extended outage.

Last edited:
I don’t know a thing about solar and its limits, thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I’ll stabilize some more gas, keep the cordwood stacked, and keep the LP tank full( only used for the gas range). I’ve got 12 acres of hardwood, so heat isn’t an issue- 2 wood stoves and 2 fireplaces- one fireplace with a working kettle hook. Wood isn’t super efficient, but the wood stoves keep the house warm, I just need to grab a back up chainsaw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom