• Spread out and play shorter-handed

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wils

Flush
Reaction score
Hi folks

My dilemma - I have two poker tables, one a four ft round, and one a 6ft x 3ft racetrack. I could get 8 round either (maybe even 9), but it would be very cramped. I might have 8 - 12 people for my next game, so I'm not sure how best to seat them.

Obviously, 12 works ok with 2 tables of six, 11 works ok with a six/five split, 10 is ok with a five/five split, 7 or below can fit on one table (bit tight but ok) but for an attendance of 8 - 9 I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place:

Either:
  1. Have two short-handed tables of either 4/4, 5/4 or 5/5 - more comfortable but the blinds go round quicker
  2. Sit everyone at one table - much less comfortable but the blinds are less punishing
  3. Just restrict attendance to 8 people (snug). Don't want to turn anyone away though.
NB Just getting more players to make it up to 12 isn't an option at this stage. I also have tourney software that'll handle table balancing once people start getting knocked out, so this is a question of comfort v play.

Say between 8 - 9 turn up, what would you do? Is there anything that can be done to make the blinds less punishing for tables that start off short-handed?

Also if the tables are unbalanced initially (e.g one has 5 players, one has four) do you find that this alters the dynamic or the play? I'm thinking the shorter handed table will have a worse time of it because of blinds but is that real or just an assumption on my part? If it's an actual thing, is there anything that can be done to soften the blinds?

I would want to make sure exactly how many are coming. Send out a text/email and have all the players you expect are coming to verify they really are coming.

I’d even explain that you need to know because you may need to set up 2 tables but don’t want to start short handed if everyone isn’t coming.

But to answer your question, if you can fit 9 chairs around one of the tables I would play one table, especially if the game is Hold’em.

If it was PLO I would have no problem starting out 4/5 handed.

The problem with starting out at 2 tables 9 handed is that the first bustout will happen quickly most likely and you will be combining to one table anyways. Before everyone is used to the table dynamics they will be drawing for a new seat!

Solution is easy. Your game should be an RSVP event. Always.

This isn’t to say that you won’t get folks cancelling last minute, or calling an hour before to see if seats are open... but that usually gives you a little time to adjust

The game isn't until Friday, so far I've had 7 definites, 1 tentative, plus the gracious host (me) equals nine. So far, then, it's going to be a single cramped table.

Unless three of you guys can make it :P

Solution is easy. Your game should be an RSVP event. Always.

This isn’t to say that you won’t get folks cancelling last minute, or calling an hour before to see if seats are open... but that usually gives you a little time to adjust

Regardless of how long there is to adjust though, 9/10 players is still 9/10 players. Like I said, the "mechanics" of how to balance isn't a problem - it's the practicality of playability v comfort.

I would want to make sure exactly how many are coming. Send out a text/email and have all the players you expect are coming to verify they really are coming.

I’d even explain that you need to know because you may need to set up 2 tables but don’t want to start short handed if everyone isn’t coming.

But to answer your question, if you can fit 9 chairs around one of the tables I would play one table, especially if the game is Hold’em.

If it was PLO I would have no problem starting out 4/5 handed.

The problem with starting out at 2 tables 9 handed is that the first bustout will happen quickly most likely and you will be combining to one table anyways. Before everyone is used to the table dynamics they will be drawing for a new seat!

Yep, emails already sent and Facebook group updated.

Good point re the bustouts. The problem is that 8-handed is a good point to combine down into one table, but the tables I have aren't big enough (they're more comfortable six-handed).

I guess the answer is to build or buy a bigger table so at least 8 will fit nicely.

I guess the answer is to build or buy a bigger table so at least 8 will fit nicely.

This comfuses me some. Even the 4’ cheapie octagon tables (found for practically nothing on CL) can accommodate 8 players. You have smaller tables?

This comfuses me some. Even the 4’ cheapie octagon tables (found for practically nothing on CL) can accommodate 8 players. You have smaller tables?

No - ones 4ft round, the other's 6ft x 3ft - yes they can seat 8, but people are going to be sitting in each other's laps.

At my game our rule is to squeeze in at 11 and go 6-6 at 12. We've haven't actually gone to two tables yet, and have only had 11 once though. Multiple times I've had 12+ RSVP as a yes, set the 2nd table up and had people flake so the game go off with 9 or 10.

Our main table is an 84" folding topper on my dining room table that's about 90" long though, so we have a bit more room.

few thoughts:

- there is something exciting even in a 2 table tourney about "making it to the final table". When that change up happens and the tables consolidate it is kind of an exciting benchmark moment...

- Yeah don't turn anyone away....you need to build up your crew especially if you are hosting tourneys.

- in regards to game play being short handed is a lot more interesting. Being 9 handed forces people to sit back and wait for a hand. Having 2 tables playing 5-7 handed allows people to play more hands and forces more action/creativity to survive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom