Text for Custom Chips (2 Viewers)

vegas757

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I have been using CPC design tool for color and art inlay ideas. Where can I find a simple and easy tool to use for the text (lettering) for the chip design? Thanks!

For inlay design? Is that what you are asking???
How I've done it is "save image" when I find an image on the net I like and use it in the CPC tool. I play with colors, base and edge spots. So I have color, edge spot, and inlay. Now just looking for how to add text like "My Poker Room" and $ on/around the chip. I think I found the answer...Inkscape or AI. It just seems so complicated but I'll study the tutorials. Thanks!

Yeah AI is the Cadillac if you take the time to learn. I use Canva a bit at work so I roughed out my ideas pretty decent before I hired a professional here.

Just some advice, in two parts.

First, take your time with customs and especially CPC's. They are fantastic chips, and the only source we chippers have for fully custom compression clay chips. They are also not inexpensive. I'm 6.5 custom CPC (nee ASM) sets into this game (the half set is the "California color variant on one of the sets), and taking your time with colors, spots and most importantly inlay design and execution makes all the difference. When spending over $2 a chip, you really don't want to regret what was done in a bit of a rush.

If you don't have graphic design experience, find a designer here (or even elsewhere) who can take your concepts and polish them to look great on a finished chip.

Second, be aware of print limitations. I've seen copied/fetched/harvested artwork from online that looks fine on screen that is a pixelated mess once printed. I always work at 600 DPI in my inlay designs. A designer will help you out with this, but a warning that there's a chance the images you have found and liked that's woefully undersized in pixel space for even inlay use.

If you aren't having CPC chips made and are making a design for ceramics (Tina or otherwise) use the Paulson designer tool here. There's a larger variety of colors and spot options there than are on the CPC tool.

Best of luck with the journey. As you get ideas and concepts in place, start a design thread here for (sometimes brutal) feedback on where you are going. More often than not, you'll get advice that will result in a better set of chips in the end.

Just some advice, in two parts.

First, take your time with customs and especially CPC's. They are fantastic chips, and the only source we chippers have for fully custom compression clay chips. They are also not inexpensive. I'm 6.5 custom CPC (nee ASM) sets into this game (the half set is the "California color variant on one of the sets), and taking your time with colors, spots and most importantly inlay design and execution makes all the difference. When spending over $2 a chip, you really don't want to regret what was done in a bit of a rush.

If you don't have graphic design experience, find a designer here (or even elsewhere) who can take your concepts and polish them to look great on a finished chip.

Second, be aware of print limitations. I've seen copied/fetched/harvested artwork from online that looks fine on screen that is a pixelated mess once printed. I always work at 600 DPI in my inlay designs. A designer will help you out with this, but a warning that there's a chance the images you have found and liked that's woefully undersized in pixel space for even inlay use.

If you aren't having CPC chips made and are making a design for ceramics (Tina or otherwise) use the Paulson designer tool here. There's a larger variety of colors and spot options there than are on the CPC tool.

Best of luck with the journey. As you get ideas and concepts in place, start a design thread here for (sometimes brutal) feedback on where you are going. More often than not, you'll get advice that will result in a better set of chips in the end.
Thank you for the great advice!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom