Vehicle shopping - 5 passenger, 5000lbs+ towing reccomendations (1 Viewer)

timinater

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks to a poorly timed hailstorm, my 2016 Buick Enclave family hauler looks like a golf ball and will be written off as a total loss. I don't want to spend more than 35K CAD (25K USD) and definitely don't want to buy anything new that my children will destroy anyways.

Wondering if anyone has any good recommendations. My list of criteria looks like this:
  • 5000+ lbs towing capacity (ideally even more for easy towing of our 2800lb (dry weight) camper
  • 4 doors
  • 5 seats minimum, 3rd row is a bonus
  • ideally is an SUV, though a truck isn't off the table.
  • premium finishes (leather etc.)
My initial shopping has got a few options.
  • Depreciated luxury vehicles
    • Porsche Cayenne
    • Audi Q8
    • VW Tourag (not luxury but same platform as the two above)
    • BMW X5
    • Mercedes GLE
    • Range Rover (maintenance oooof)
  • Good imports
    • Toyota 4Runner
    • Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX
  • Domestic
    • Ford Explorer
    • Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Not interested in
    • GM products
    • Nissan/Infiniti
    • another Enclave
    • electric (at the moment)
    • Jeep Gladiator
Anyone have experience with some of these vehicles? Anything I missed or other things I should consider (aside from swearing off vehicle ownership forever)?

I think the Tuareg might be too small TBH. We just got a Taos for our daughter (literally just this past weekend), which is a little smaller. It’s got a smallish 1.5, peppy - but not sure it’s towing capacity. Really like the car though!

IMG_6069.jpeg

I really like the redesigned Atlas. A used one might be close to your range, although again, not sure about its towing capacity.

The 2.0 that’s found in the Taureg is not an engine I’d feel comfortable towing much of anything with TBH. The Atlas has a beefed up 2.0 and a 6cyl option. Again not sure the towing capacity and the 2.0 feels a little small for the Atlas - IMO (although it puts out decent power)

From a fit and finish standpoint, the Atlas is very nice though.

IMHO - I wouldn’t touch a Range Rover with a 10ft pole.

I’m not a Toyota fan boy, but their reliability is kinda hard to argue with.

Last edited:
I think the Tuareg might be too small TBH. We just got a Taos for our daughter (literally just this past weekend), which is a little smaller. It’s got a smallish 1.5, peppy - but not sure it’s towing capacity. Really like the car though!

View attachment 1375618

I really like the redesigned Atlas. A used one might be close to your range, although again, not sure about its towing capacity.

The 2.0 that’s found in the Taureg is not an engine I’d feel comfortable towing much of anything with TBH. The Atlas has the 2.0 and a 6cyl option. Again not sure the towing capacity and the 2.0 feels a little small for the Atlas - IMO.

From a fit and finish standpoint, the Atlas is very nice though.

IMHO - I wouldn’t touch a Range Rover with a 10ft pole.

I’m not a Toyota fan boy, but their reliability is kinda hard to argue with.
Got my wife a 2024 Atlas Peak Edition this past Spring. It does well. We took it on a 3500-mile trip all throughout the Rockies. Though we have not towed yet, it has a 5000lb tow capacity.

Also, just my observation. The VW/Audi - BMW, MB SUV’s drive like a German car. (Not like an S6 mind you - lol)

Toyota, Range Rover’s, Explorer, etc., drive like a truck.

Got my wife a 2024 Atlas Peak Edition this past Spring. It does well. We took it on a 3500-mile trip all throughout the Rockies. Though we have not towed yet, it has a 5000lb tow capacity.
Oh snap. The Peak Editions are really sharp - I REALLY like those!!! I am NOT an SUV guy at all and walked out of the dealership going hmmmmm after looking at those - lol.

Do you have the 2.0 or the 6cyl? It looks like they beefed up the 2.0 to make~ 296 HP..?

The output of the 6cyl and the 2.0 options seemed very, very close IIRC.

(BTW - I love the 2.0 and have an older gen 1 TSI making just under 400hp in an old Jetta sports wagon 6 speed manual. It’s super fun. But I lose traction in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd :LOL: :laugh:). It’s a fun car - but gotta sell it now, no room in the driveway anymore.

I was about to post that Cayenne probably not going to be in that price range, but I just did a search and got 70 hits within 50 miles of me. Many are sub $20k even. Most of these are 2012 base models though with 100k miles. Based on my personal experience I would be very wary of maintenance/repair costs.

Oh snap. The Peak Editions are really sharp - I REALLY like those!!! I am NOT an SUV guy at all and walked out of the dealership going hmmmmm after looking at those - lol.

Do you have the 2.0 or the 6cyl? It looks like they beefed up the 2.0 to make~ 296 HP..?

The output of the 6cyl and the 2.0 options seemed very, very close IIRC.

(BTW - I love the 2.0 and have an older gen 1 TSI making just under 400hp in an old Jetta sports wagon 6 speed manual. It’s super fun. But I lose traction in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd :LOL: :laugh:). It’s a fun car - but gotta sell it now, no room in the driveway anymore.
2.0. It did very well loaded up all around the Rockies.

I would be hesitant to buy any kind of the luxury vehicles you mention, given the budget. You’re looking at 80K+ miles in that price range. At best, you are buying a crapshoot (because of the high repair costs) and at worst, someone else’s headache.

I would be hesitant to buy any kind of the luxury vehicles you mention, given the budget. You’re looking at 80K+ miles in that price range. At best, you are buying a crapshoot (because of the high repair costs) and at worst, someone else’s headache.
Huge degen here.

I definitely agree that's going to be the concern for sure. The budget is mostly because I don't want a car payment. I could stretch it and finance something new of course too. Car shopping is such a pain.

You could do a lot worse than an F150.
Agreed. I'm not sure my wife wants to drive a full size truck though. The Enclave was a solid jack of all trades for us in that she could daily it to work, fit the family/luggage AND tow. I'm just not sold on the drivetrain long term on those things however.

I'd vote the Ford Explorer, or f150. If the f150 is too big, look at the ford ranger or the smaller maverick maybe?

Recently picked up a 2015 GMC Acadia SLT with under 100k miles, and very pleased so far. Some of the others we considered were VW Atlas, Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot, and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Fwiw, most mechanics and dealers I spoke with (plus research) steered us away from the Explorer.

Honda Pilot for the win. That’s your best option if you want a serviceable 3rd row.

Huge degen here.
I mean, yolo. Look for a high mileage L322 with good service records. That should be less than half your budget and you’ll have plenty left over to redo the timing chain and air suspension. No third row but you will smile uncontrollably every time you drive the thing.

Same situation recently. Someone trashed my old 4runner.
I found a mint 2003 Avalanche with 132,000 miles with full service records and it drives better than any 2012 I tested as it has all new shocks, tie rods, tires, etc. 2007 and earlier is best as it has no active fuel management.
Prices to replace maintenance items is 1/3 of import cars as well.

I would vouch for an Explorer or expedition if they still make those.
I would make sure you verify any of those choices are all time awd or have 4x4 available. Some do not.
My grandmother had a pathfinder and that thing was indestructible and ran forever, with very little maintenance other than basic care.
Be advised anything made in the last 5 or so years that is not a base model has so much technology on it that it can be costly without a warranty of some sort (obviously this excludes luxury vehicles which are in their own bracket there)
I would also highly recommend an f150
You can get a 4 door short bed with plenty of passenger room and towing capacity and still get fantastic fuel mileage. My previous f150 was the 2.7 it hauled well and still averaged 22mpg and the 4x4 always worked well

I'd vote the Ford Explorer, or f150. If the f150 is too big, look at the ford ranger or the smaller maverick maybe?
Dependent on what's being towed I would be hesitant to suggest a maverick or ranger here, the wheel base and total gvw is less than ideal depending on tongue weight and weather/road conditions.
It may work in some cases but I would do heavy research before choosing this option

Dependent on what's being towed I would be hesitant to suggest a maverick or ranger here, the wheel base and total gvw is less than ideal depending on tongue weight and weather/road conditions.
It may work in some cases but I would do heavy research before choosing this option
It's a 16ft Boler. Fiberglass. 2800lbs dry weight with a single axle. I'm also slightly concerned about a smaller truck.

Our Enclave towed it fine with its wheelbase and 5000lb capacity but at times felt a bit underpowered, especially with the water tank full.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 13
Going from a 4runner to a 1500 size suv made my towing experience a million times better. Yes the 4 runner handles ok with a 2500 lb trailer but a pickup size frame makes life easy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom