What can be overlayed? (6 Viewers)

Hello! For most of those, you'll want to get them milled, this means taking out a layer of clay so the sticker sits flat on the chip. Some hotstamps will show through, you want a clean surface to adhere to.

I wouldn't say most, but many of us take the inlays out to put in our own. To ship them and have them removed can be expensive, but with some elbow grease you can do it yourself. I bought a few racks of roulette chips with an inlay, removed the inlay, then relabeled them with my own. More work but cheaper.

20240326_203325.jpg

Yes, but condition is key. As clay chips get worn, you run the risk of creating spinners when you over label - you need decent condition chips so when the chips are stacked, they're stacking clay on clay, not label on label.
Good call, I should've been clearer. The ones I got were beat up so there wasn't room for a label, you're right.

Most Good+ condition Paulson inlaid clay chips have enough recess depth to accept an unlaminated sticker over top.

Full inlay replacement with a laminated label produces superior results, but not without much labour (or much money if you pay someone else to do it).

Gear recommend only unlaminated labels for an over-label. To save space and avoid spinners.

Sticker Mule labels are thinner but laminated.
Not tested but could work fine i guess.

I don‘t want my PCA hotstamps get milled, so i did an overlabel with smooth laminated Gear labels — against all rules and advices…sorry guys.

If you want it perfect - don‘t do it like me.
They should be milled!
An inlay i would always remove, not just put a sticker on top.

Full inlay replacement with a laminated label produces superior results
That’s an opinion and I couldn't disagree more (unless you have poor eyesight, or don’t mind looking at labels that don’t quite fit their recess.)
And I’m not coming at you personally, just most of PCF in general. I have yet to see a perfect looking “inlay replacement” and I’m continually astounded that the majority of people don’t seem to mind.

That’s an opinion and I couldn't disagree more (unless you have poor eyesight, or don’t mind looking at labels that don’t quite fit their recess.)
And I’m not coming at you personally, just most of PCF in general. I have yet to see a perfect looking “inlay replacement” and I’m continually astounded that the majority of people don’t seem to mind.

Superior in that a laminated label looks much better and more "original" looking than an unlaminated overlabel. And more durable. I agree that an exact fit is unlikely, but 'extremely close the point of being very hard to notice' is well within @Gear 's capabilities.

Superior in that a laminated label looks much better and more "original" looking than an unlaminated overlabel. And more durable. I agree that an exact fit is unlikely, but 'extremely close the point of being very hard to notice' is well within @Gear 's capabilities.
I’d go on and on, but this is not a topic I’m rational about.

Am I able to overlay a sticker mule on a hot stamp?
The problem with putting a label on top of a hot stamp is that the surface of a hot stamped chip isn’t flat. So the stickers may not adhere well and if they do, you’ll probably see the impressions of the hot stamp through the label.
That said, Ive actually done it, with chips that were so worn, that most of hot stamps were fairly smooth. But you could still see some impressions in the right lighting. So you can try it, but you may not like the results.

But here, zoom in on this - look how uneven the surface is:
IMG_1570.png

Last edited:
The problem with putting a label on top of a hot stamp is that the surface of a hot stamped chip isn’t flat. So the stickers may not adhere well and if they do, you’ll probably see the impressions of the hot stamp through the label.
That said, Ive actually done it, with chips that were so worn, that most of hot stamps were fairly smooth. But you could still see some impressions in the right lighting. So you can try it, but you may not like the results.

View attachment 1397208
The problem also is the the bumps prevent enough surface area for the adhesive to really stick. With so little contact between the chip and the label, you run the risk of labels coming off.

View attachment 1397208
This chip got no recess - every label would produce a spinner.
It‘s a good exemple of how wobbly a stamp can be.
There are less wobbly stamps and there must be a recess for over-label.

RHC are probably the best overlay candidates. They’re more difficult to mill so overlayed is the preferred option. I overlayed my first custom set and have zero spinners

Before labels

IMG_0084.jpeg

After labeling
IMG_0991.jpeg
IMG_0989.jpeg

In a nutshell

TRKs need to be milled. The inlay or hotstamp is flush to surface

Paulson THCs prefer to have label removed since there is ample space between the recess and the mold

Paulson RHCs prefer to be over labeled because the space between the recess and mold is too narrow and milling will often go into the mold.

Hotstamps are generally milled since the stamping process creates uneven surface for label to lay flat

Here are some RHCs hotstamps that were milled and some with labels removed. Since removing label or milling allows a deeper recess you can get the laminated and textured labels which you can’t do just overlabeling

Before anything
IMG_1063.jpeg

After milling hotstamps or removing labels

IMG_1629.jpeg

After applying laminated textured labels
IMG_2439.jpeg
IMG_2438.jpeg

View attachment 1397208
This image is so helpful. So if a chip never had an inlay it won't have a recess for over-labeling?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom