Cash Game $1/$1 NLHE Cash Game, $200 Buy In (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I am playing in my first NLHE only cash game in a few years. We will be 7 to 8 handed. I will only be playing for four or five hours. I will be taking three buy ins with me.

I know most of the players in attendance. Most are pretty damn good, better than me (that isn't too difficult).

Any tips, suggestions, ect....I am used to playing high variance games. I am concerned that I will have a hard time separating my circus strategy to a NLHE strategy.

Thanks in advance.

B

Define a goal ahead of time. Are you going to hang out? To meet people? To recruit?To actually play Poker?

Is this a game you want to continuesly get invited to?

I would play my regular nlhe game and just make sure not to slow the game down.

Don't be afraid to fold for a bit to see how the table plays. I assume these player semi regularly play together.

I am playing in my first NLHE only cash game in a few years. We will be 7 to 8 handed. I will only be playing for four or five hours. I will be taking three buy ins with me.

I know most of the players in attendance. Most are pretty damn good, better than me (that isn't too difficult).

Any tips, suggestions, ect....I am used to playing high variance games. I am concerned that I will have a hard time separating my circus strategy to a NLHE strategy.

Thanks in advance.

B
Fold pre flop a lot more.

Thanks in advance.

B
Tight is right, play position, and call less often pre, and three bet more often pre especially in late position

Your hand(s) will probably be stronger than you think they are.

This is a concern of mine.

Define a goal ahead of time. Are you going to hang out? To meet people? To recruit?To actually play Poker?

Is this a game you want to continuesly get invited to?

I would play my regular nlhe game and just make sure not to slow the game down.

Don't be afraid to fold for a bit to see how the table plays. I assume these player semi regularly play together.

I routinely play with a handful of them. They are all excellent players. I am there to play poker, but to also to have an evening out.

How many PCFers (if any) will be in attendance?

Half the table. @ChaosRock @Marc Hedrick @Skagglio All three are very solid players.

Drink good whiskey but not too much.

I wish. I am on a self imposed drinking break. My first drink of April will be on Saturday, when Colleen and I are out celebrating!

Thanks in advance.

B
1) Prepare yourself for a mental-health-compromising level of boredom;
2) Try to limit your utterances of 'where the fuck are the rest of my cards' to 2 or less;
3) Keep this thread updated as you reconsider your life-choices - you will have PLENTY of time on your hands;
4) Have fun?

Strategy-wise:
  • If you're used to fixed limit poker you're conditioned to know you 1) can't protect your hand; and 2) deception is kind of an afterthought. NLHE is much different;
  • Never fold a set;
  • As they new guy no one knows, you can probably get some bluffs through if they're credible;
  • Just because the board is paired, it doesn't mean villain is full;
  • Just because a 3rd heart hits the river, doesn't automatically mean someone made a flush;
  • 'Relative position' is an underrated thing in NLHE;
  • Managing the size of the pot is a skill in and of itself;

When is the game?

I wish. I am on a self imposed drinking break.
Damon Wayans Jr What GIF

My first drink of April will be on Saturday, when Colleen and I are out celebrating!
Charlie Day Ok GIF

If it's good enough to call you gotta be in there raising, all right. I mean tight but aggressive, and I do mean aggressive.
Depends on the game.

My Friday night cash game, most players will limp-call a 3! with their entire range. I will raise the hell out of BPPs and limp the rest of my range.

It's really bad GTO but right for this game.

If you are not willing to risk your entire stack with the hand you have, you shouldn’t be betting on that hand. I wouldn’t try bluffing until you feel like you’ve found your groove, so expect to fold a lot of hands. If these players drink a lot, don’t worry too much about your table image. Don’t ever open limp, bet 3x to 4x to open depending on the table. Punish the limpers before you and 3-bet and 4-bet if you have the cards!!! Pairs and sets usually win the day. You’ll see straights and flushes but not as often. Don’t go chasing the draws unless you got a lot of outs. I’m sure this is a lot of the same concepts when you play the circus games. You’re gonna do just fine!!!

1) Prepare yourself for a mental-health-compromising level of boredom;
2) Try to limit your utterances of 'where the fuck are the rest of my cards' to 2 or less;
3) Keep this thread updated as you reconsider your life-choices - you will have PLENTY of time on your hands;
4) Have fun?

Strategy-wise:
  • If you're used to fixed limit poker you're conditioned to know you 1) can't protect your hand; and 2) deception is kind of an afterthought. NLHE is much different;
  • Never fold a set;
  • As they new guy no one knows, you can probably get some bluffs through if they're credible;
  • Just because the board is paired, it doesn't mean villain is full;
  • Just because a 3rd heart hits the river, doesn't automatically mean someone made a flush;
  • 'Relative position' is an underrated thing in NLHE;
  • Managing the size of the pot is a skill in and of itself;

When is the game?

The game is tonight. I'll post updates on my folding and nit play lol

You look down, they know you're lying and up, they know you don't know the truth. Don't use seven words when four will do. Don't shift your weight, look always at your mark but don't stare, be specific but not memorable, be funny but don't make him laugh. He's got to like you then forget you the moment you've left his side. And for God's sake, whatever you do, don't, under any circumstances...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom