10 handed or 2 5 handed tables (1 Viewer)

3ars

High Hand
Reaction score
I have a monthly tournament that i setup, and we usually get at least 12 people who show up. We usually play a two table tournament.

This time unfortunately only 10 people were able to show up. I don’t wanna kick anyone out, but now i have two options. We either start as a 10 handed table, or play as two 5 handed tables, and merge for final table after the 1st elimination. What do you guys think is a better option?

we usually get at least 12 people who show up. We usually play a two table tournament.
Usually if you are playing 2 table of 6, final table should be 6+1 which is 7.

So norm is to continue play down to 2 table of 4 until the last 7 before merging them together.

We either start as a 10 handed table, or play as two 5 handed tables, and merge for final table after the 1st elimination
But it seems like you played final table of 9 instead which in that case, you be better to just start a 10 handed table.

Cos for 2 5 handed tables, final table should be 6 instead.

Our league min/max is a 6-to-16-player field, so with 10+ players we do two tables of 5-to-8 players each with a 9-player final table. If 6-to-9 total players, all start at the final table.

Never 10-handed, and never 4-handed (until down to the final four).

It’s a weird thing about tournament poker. You have these situations where you end up playing 5-handed until you can get down to a 9-handed final table. But 5 handed is almost a completely different game than 9-handed.
Personally I’m fine with either. But there was a time when I wasn’t, and those 5-handed tables seemed unfair. I’m not suggesting you put it to a vote, but I’d try to get a sense for how your players feel about it. Because if most or all of them hate starting 5-handed, that should probably matter to you.

It’s a weird thing about tournament poker. You have these situations where you end up playing 5-handed until you can get down to a 9-handed final table. But 5 handed is almost a completely different game than 9-handed.
Personally I’m fine with either. But there was a time when I wasn’t, and those 5-handed tables seemed unfair. I’m not suggesting you put it to a vote, but I’d try to get a sense for how your players feel about it. Because if most or all of them hate starting 5-handed, that should probably matter to you.
I'd argue that if they dislike 5-handed play, it's a great reason to do it -- and giving them a chance to gain experience playing short-handed beyond just making the final 5.

I prefer the free hand to paid hand ratio of 10 handed. I'm usually just happy to be at a game, so either way.

Usually if you are playing 2 table of 6, final table should be 6+1 which is 7.

So norm is to continue play down to 2 table of 4 until the last 7 before merging them together.

But it seems like you played final table of 9 instead which in that case, you be better to just start a 10 handed table.

Cos for 2 5 handed tables, final table should be 6 instead.
never heard of that before. Definitely not the way we do it.

I think either way is fine, start with 10 or 2 tables of 5. I think it mostly depends on how crowded it would be on the table, most tables are crowded at 9. Usually a crowded final table of 9 isn't a big deal as one person inevitably get knocked out quickly but at the beginning with full stacks and little blinds, I'd prefer two tables of 5.

never heard of that before. Definitely not the way we do it.
From TDA Recommended Procedures
RP-9: Number of Players at Final Table

9 and 8-handed events will combine from two tables of five players each to a 9-handed final table. 7 and 6-handed events will combine from two tables of four players each to a 7-handed final table.

That being said, I have 3 tables. 2x 8-seaters and a 10-seat, with players balanced (rebalancing if the largest table has more than 3 players over the shortest). We go to 2 tables at 18 players (not 16 as would be "fair", because that gets everyone in the same room (much better from a playing TD/record-keeping perspective).
The final table is formed at 10.

RP-9: Number of Players at Final Table

9 and 8-handed events will combine from two tables of five players each to a 9-handed final table. 7 and 6-handed events will combine from two tables of four players each to a 7-handed final table.

Correct, but this isn't this based on what the max per table is designated for the tournament, not based on what you are starting with because of the number of players?

In other words, if you are starting at two tables of 6 because you only have 12 players, the question is, "What would you do if you had 18 players?" If you would start with 3 tables of 6 (6-max tournament), then yes, the final table should combine at 7. But if you would start with 2 tables of 9 (9-max tournament), then the final table should combine at 9.

Two tables of 5 to start then combine when 9 are left. My final table always starts at 9 when I have two tables to start.

I have a monthly tournament that i setup, and we usually get at least 12 people who show up. We usually play a two table tournament.

This time unfortunately only 10 people were able to show up. I don’t wanna kick anyone out, but now i have two options. We either start as a 10 handed table, or play as two 5 handed tables, and merge for final table after the 1st elimination. What do you guys think is a better option?
In the beginning of the Moxie Poker League we often had between 10 and 15 show up. If we had exactly 10, we all start at one table.

Correct, but this isn't this based on what the max per table is designated for the tournament, not based on what you are starting with because of the number of players?

In other words, if you are starting at two tables of 6 because you only have 12 players, the question is, "What would you do if you had 18 players?" If you would start with 3 tables of 6 (6-max tournament), then yes, the final table should combine at 7. But if you would start with 2 tables of 9 (9-max tournament), then the final table should combine at 9.

Correct. I have found that because most of my players are playing poker for the social aspect, they prefer larger tables. We did 4 max, then 5 max and finally 6 max until March 2022 following COVID. My players were much happier when we went back to "as many as the table can sit comfortably".

I'm not an expert at this but my opinion with 10 is that everyone wants to sit together and play against each other more than split up to play 5 at two tables, which as has been said is a different game. For me at my games, we only have one table as well, so I can cap the players at 9, but I like to get as many that want to come so I allow up to 10. At a bar league I play in, they regularly do 10.

This isn't the main discussion, but do people think 8 or 9 is the best amount at a table. Obviously it isn't ten based on this discussion so far. Does it matter if it is a cash game instead?

bingo. Discussion was about a regular tournament, not a 6 handed max tournament. Starting tournament numbers don't dictate the number at the final table, the type of tournament does though. Obviously you don't put 9 people at the final table of a 6 max tourny.

But thanks for the TDA rule, I did not know how they did a final table for a 6 or 7 max tournament.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom