Affordable round table that doesn't suck? (1 Viewer)

Preditor

Pair
Reaction score
I own a Barrington 84", but I need to be prepared for a potential second table for my upcoming home game (8 max). Measuring in my living room, a second Barrington would be tight. But a second table around 50" in diameter would fit in my space well and still be able to hold up to 8 people.

The problem is... they all seem to suck! There doesn't seem to be a good Barrington-long table equivalent in the round space. Barrington makes one, but I think it looks pretty shoddy and small for $200. And it's really built for 6, not 8.

My favorite so far is this octagonal design from RayChee. It is cheaper and larger than the Barrington round. I hate that the cupholders are on the actual table and am so-so on the racetrack, but it seems to be the best out of the box. For my second table, I think it will work, and maybe I can fill in the cupholders and get a topper from @rjdev7 to cover the racetrack for the next game.

Barring those two, is there a table anyone here would reccomend?

I have been playing on long tables for so long I had forgotten how social the round tables are
Huge difference at our game. We had a ring table at one place and an oval at the other location. Soon as we hit a round table at the second location the jokes and not shot right up.
Round tables = fun

When I have 6-7 players total I like to break out the round table with poker hoody. It's definitely more social.

1715059543773.png

Puddy is my special guest.

My table is a 48" from BJs Club. 60" table is tough to scoop a pot with short arms. I like a 54" table the best and is ok for 8 players, but they cost a decent amount more than a 48" table. I might get a table topper as the poker hoody is getting a bit worn. I think the table toppers sold here are a 48" max size. Would get sewn edges to help prevent cards from flying off the table.

With a round table I can bring out the standard index cards. Too tough to see on an oval table.

Last edited:
A 50” table is too small to seat 8 players. For 8 you need a 60” table.
I'm pretty confident I won't be needing more than 6 seats at it for a while. So 50" should get me through 6 or so months. Just "officially" we make it 8 on the invite, but we've never exceeded 12 players, and would need 14 to seat 7 at it.

We needed an overflow table and I couldn’t justify the Barrington at its current price. So I went with this octagon at under $200. It’s a RayChee without the racetrack.

34C95CDC-69AE-42EB-852F-FCEA885B16BF.jpeg

It’s on Amazon here.

I would not have bought it if I didn’t have the topper option from @rjdev7. I really dislike the cup holders on the playing surface. So I filled the cup holders and added a layer of 2mm foam. Then, placed the topper on top.

1715062812262.jpeg

No complaints from the players. It feels sturdy and seems built fairly well. But, it is snug for 8 full grown men.

Downside - The table itself does not fold. The seam you see in the middle in the photos is just because it is shipped that way. Also, the legs do not fold flat underneath when stored.

But playability works well and does the job.

1715063097341.jpeg

We needed an overflow table and I couldn’t justify the Barrington at its current price. So I went with this octagon at under $200. It’s a RayChee without the racetrack.

34C95CDC-69AE-42EB-852F-FCEA885B16BF.jpeg

It’s on Amazon here.

I would not have bought it if I didn’t have the topper option from @rjdev7. I really dislike the cup holders on the playing surface. So I filled the cup holders and added a layer of 2mm foam. Then, placed the topper on top.

View attachment 1325159

No complaints from the players. It feels sturdy and seems built fairly well. But, it is snug for 8 full grown men.

Downside - The table itself does not fold. The seam you see in the middle in the photos is just because it is shipped that way. Also, the legs do not fold flat underneath when stored.

But playability works well and does the job.

View attachment 1325160
Yes!!!! This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to do myself!

I do think I might go with the racetrack edition since it has 2 extra inches on it, but then do the exact same thing you did here.

Did you affix the foam to it permanently? Or do you just apply it. every game? Also, what did you fill the cupholders with?

Not that difficult to build a lightweight topper using 1/4" MDF covered with foam and felt (round or octagon, folding design optional) and placed on a 48" round folding table. Adding a one-piece or sectional rail is a little harder, but still doable.

Yes!!!! This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to do myself!

I do think I might go with the racetrack edition since it has 2 extra inches on it, but then do the exact same thing you did here.

Did you affix the foam to it permanently? Or do you just apply it. every game? Also, what did you fill the cupholders with?

I used a round-shaped floral foam in the cup holders. I can’t find exactly what I used, but something like this can be cut to size:

https://www.joann.com/floracraft-dry-foam-mug-insert-2-pkg/8187882.html

Then, permanently affixed the 2 mm layer of foam on top of everything. The topper is the only thing that goes on and off with each game.

When I have 6-7 players total I like to break out the round table with poker hoody. It's definitely more social.

View attachment 1325150

Puddy is my special guest.

A plastic 48” table like those sold at Sam’s Club with a poker hoodie will work well as a short handed second table.

I used the 60” version for years.
What is a poker hoodie/hoody? Just a pullover fabric or something? I refuse to wear these, I don't care how comfortable and social the circular tables are.
1715094800163.png

I love my round table but the legs on the outside are annoying if you're seating more than 4 people, we're spoiled by the Barrington being able to pull our chairs into the table. Might just suck it up and run it anyways because we self deal and prefer the social aspect of the circle table.

What is a poker hoodie/hoody? Just a pullover fabric or something? I refuse to wear these, I don't care how comfortable and social the circular tables are.
View attachment 1325291
I love my round table but the legs on the outside are annoying if you're seating more than 4 people, we're spoiled by the Barrington being able to pull our chairs into the table. Might just suck it up and run it anyways because we self deal and prefer the social aspect of the circle table.

Not that type of hoody. It was a business that has been out of business for some time. Last post was in 2012.

https://www.facebook.com/p/Poker-Hoody-Stretch-Neoprene-Poker-Felt-100066377546349/

1715095083237.png

A plastic 48” table like those sold at Sam’s Club with a poker hoodie will work well as a short handed second table.

I used the 60” version for years.

^^^this

A 48” round with 8 players gives you less then 19” of space per player. Unless you’re all 150lbs, that’s a tight squeeze. Minimum of 54”-55” and 60” would be preferred.

Most affordable option would be the poker hoody, or to build it yourself if you want a rail. Just note the rail on these is tough, unless you find an extra wide vinyl.

^^^this

A 48” round with 8 players gives you less then 19” of space per player. Unless you’re all 150lbs, that’s a tight squeeze. Minimum of 54”-55” and 60” would be preferred.

Most affordable option would be the poker hoody, or to build it yourself if you want a rail. Just note the rail on these is tough, unless you find an extra wide vinyl.
Thanks for the info!

For some additional context, I think I am long way from 16 players. If we get to 14-16 consistently I will upgrade the size; but right now we're at 8-12. So if we bust this out, functionally it will be 6 max 90% of the time for the foreseeable future.

Is this for a cash game or a tourney?

It shouldn’t matter that much, but if for cash (where you don’t have to have the tables perfectly balanced) I’d try to find a 54” table and seat 6-7 there. It will feel a bit like the kids’ table at Thanksgiving, but cash is fine or sometimes even better with fewer than 8-9 players. Treat Table 2 as a must-move.

build it yourself if you want a rail. Just note the rail on these is tough, unless you find an extra wide vinyl.
Unless you make it a sectional rail that assembles for play and disassembles for storage and transport. Even just two half-arc pieces makes it much easier to build.

Kestell octo tables can be pretty cheap on Wayfair, also they are dime a dozen on my FB market.

+1 for the round table. Always more fun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom