NLHE cash game with only 4 players? (1 Viewer)

jkoclanis67

Sitting Out
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hosting my first NLHE cash game this weekend (.25/.25 with a 100-200 BB initial buy-in). We were initially planning on 6 players, but now two of them will probably not make it. Should I make any tweaks to the game to make it work better with only 4 players (ex. a single blind)? What other twists/variations would be good for 4-players (bomb pots, other poker variations, etc.)?

Would try and get 1-2 more players if possible. If not maybe see if the players would be in for some sort of limit game.

4 handed NLHE feels too short IMO.

perfect opportunity to learn some meetup circus games: bigO, drawmaha, archie, scarney, sohe, etc
olivia-munn-peta-01.jpg

I’d find more players. 4-handed Holdem stinks. I agree that it’s better than no poker at all, but I think a lot of people might disagree

I enjoy 4-handed poker, Hold'em or otherwise, but not everyone does. You likely will not even have a 4-handed game after the first couple hours.

Moreover, in a game that short, there's nowhere to hide. Fish get crushed like a watermelon at a Gallagher show.

It's generally not good for their willingness to fund any future games.

@upNdown, do you think 6-handed is sufficient?
I do. But what your players think is what matters. If you have a bunch of guys who arent very poker savvy, 4-handed might be fun for them. If you have a bunch of guys who are NLHE-heads, they might be annoyed by anything short of 9.

As a host, you just have to do your best to make sure your players have a good time, so that they’ll want to come back next time. To me, that usually means scramblling all week to fill those seats. But different crowds, different games, who knows.

I do. But what your players think is what matters. If you have a bunch of guys who arent very poker savvy, 4-handed might be fun for them. If you have a bunch of guys who are NLHE-heads, they might be annoyed by anything short of 9.

As a host, you just have to do your best to make sure your players have a good time, so that they’ll want to come back next time. To me, that usually means scramblling all week to fill those seats. But different crowds, different games, who knows.
They are all pretty much newbies. I'm probably the most experienced, and that's not saying much. Haha!

+1 to the first part especially. With brand new players 4 is fine to figure out the basics. If you play like a normal TAG though, be prepared for them to leave lol, very different game than a full-ring. More limping and more flops for sure. Not saying to let them win, but play splashier and see more flops, keep it fun. I wouldn't play straight limit but maybe a spread-limit; if you're buying in for $20, cap the bets to $5 if they're brand new to make sure someone doesn't lose their entire buyin to a full house before they know what that is.

4 handed, start with NLHE for a while then teach some games like 5-card draw or 7-card stud. Still fun to just sit around and play cards, and who knows, maybe they'll love it and invite more friends next time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom