Show off your Lawn! (2 Viewers)

Honestly, I think it's bermuda, but as a former noetherner I'm not 100% sure. How can I verify?
Well, if you verify it as Bermuda, start with this:
• It loves heat, as long as it’s not starved
• Milorganite is your friend
• Water it in the morning and cut taller in hot months, this protects its root system
• It’s aggressive, get it thick and it will choke weeds to death.

I’ve been using Milorganite for years, and my dad used it on our lawn when I was growing up.
Last night, I saw a recommended video on YouTube titled something like, “Milorganite shouldn’t be your only fertilizer”.
That got me thinking, because Milorganite HAS been my only fertilizer.
The argument, is that since Milorganite is 6-4-0, it has no (or trace amounts) of Potassium. Apparently potassium helps grass defend against disease and fungus. I have been struggling with a dollar spot fungus for years…

Off to the store tomorrow for some potash to get those numbers where they should be! Soil test to follow.

I’ve been using Milorganite for years, and my dad used it on our lawn when I was growing up.
Last night, I saw a recommended video on YouTube titled something like, “Milorganite shouldn’t be your only fertilizer”.
The argument, is that since Milorganite is 6-4-0, it has no (or trace amounts) of Potassium. Apparently potassium helps grass defend against disease and fungus. I have been struggling with a dollar spot fungus for years…

Off to the store tomorrow for some potash to get those numbers where they should be! Soil test to follow.
Interested in results. Following your data closely…

Greengrassmatters

I recommend you do a soil test first. WayPoint Analytical is great but can get confusing going through it your first time. There are other off the shelf options that will probably work well for this purpose.

https://www.waypointanalytical.com/homeowners

Last edited:
BEE15139-C71F-4407-A619-FE3DE9EC4ABC.jpeg

@louBdub we might need you on our shore property bro... left @ 8 am 2 1/2 hour drive I am the weed Wacker but Ms. @FordPickup92 spent 9 1/2 hours straight on the Ole Kabota. Some spots were over 5 ft tall, haven't cut since April... damn meet ups
20220924_111409.jpg

20220924_111421.jpg

20220924_111432.jpg

Yeah.. it was bad!
20220924_133552.jpg

20220924_161628.jpg

But there was progress
20220924_161658.jpg

20220924_185225.jpg

In the end with the sun setting
20220924_185311.jpg

20220924_185734.jpg

So beautiful all cleaned up! @liftapint you were asking about the shore property... well a 15 hour day from start to back home and it is looking great for hunting season.

Lower Dorchester County is on Maryland Eastern Shore, very flat and mostly swamp land, often the main roads are under water with any flood tides. Couple pics when I road out for lunch!
20220924_145841.jpg

20220924_150243.jpg

Just before our place
20220924_151247.jpg

And them the view as you arrive
20220924_151320.jpg

From the White house to the far tree line is us.

You may be asking why anyone would want land in the Mosquito capitol of the world... 3 things. Endless Snake Head fishing, the Best Maryland Blue Crabs come from here and the most important thing "Marylands Little Elk" also known as Sika Deer and people come from all over the country to hunt our Tiny Elk
1019171401a.jpg

We have as many as 20 people some years for muzzle loader season staying at our place. I never charge a dime, it is there for all to enjoy!
1020171648.jpg

Anyways... that's our "other lawn"

@Ben8257 tons of potential for that spot!

This will sound weird, but I’d burn the entire thing. Scorch it down (this is healthy, I’ve burned my lawn down) drag earth a bit and level it, then seed it like no other and BOOM! Gorgeous green sea of beautiful grass!

@Ben8257 tons of potential for that spot!

This will sound weird, but I’d burn the entire thing. Scorch it down (this is healthy, I’ve burned my lawn down) drag earth a bit and level it, then seed it like no other and BOOM! Gorgeous green sea of beautiful grass!
Umm... my idiot friends totally burnt the lot to the ground! See the trees in the back! They were sleeping in this camper with a propane heater mid day and no one knows what happened
Resized_20191011_152143.jpeg

That is from the exact same property!

The only thing that saved it was that particular day we had one of the worst flood tides ever, over 2 ft of water on the public roads and somehow the fore department made it intime with a huge machine and cut an emergency fire road around our place to contain the fire. Normally it is so dry down in that area it would have gone miles in minutes
Screenshot_20220924-230133_Messages.jpg

One of my best friends that lives down there heard about it and drove over to assist
Screenshot_20220924-230143_Messages.jpg

You can see the Giant bull dozer on the left there that cut the emergency fire road and saved lower Dorchester that awful day!

They were decent enough to hook up to my camper and pull it to safety, the fire was within 3 ft of it when they got it hooked up and yanked out of there.

Absolutely terrifying, 4 people sleeping in there and somehow one woke up and the entire camera was on fire, they had to run through finery grass to escape! They claim the propane tank on the front of the camper was throwing flames close to 80 ft straight sideways!

Did a dethatching and aeration two weeks ago, then put down some seed. Pretty pleased with how much better the back yard looks after only two weeks. The dog still has his say in creating some dead spots, but definitely looking much better

immediately after dethatch and aeration
Screenshot_20220923-120832_Gallery.jpg

Two weeks later
Screenshot_20220923-120433_Blink.jpg

Been fighting a dollar-spot fungus for a few years now.
I use Milorganite exclusively, but have been reading I need to apply potassium because Milorganite has none. I’ve done the fungicide, but without strong grass coming in to fight the fungus, it just keeps coming back.

Maybe I’ll start a rock garden. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I had a rabbit nest right in the middle of my grass which I’ve had to protect from the lawn guys. The kids loved watching the bunnies grow. We were inspecting the nest right around the time they were ready to leave and half of them bolted out. My 2 1/2 year old chased after one of them screaming “call the paw patrol call the paw patrol they need to save the bunnies”. Apparently saving baby bunnies is a recurring theme on that god awful show. But it gave me a good laugh. All the bunnies were fine.

I had a rabbit nest right in the middle of my grass which I’ve had to protect from the lawn guys. The kids loved watching the bunnies grow. We were inspecting the nest right around the time they were ready to leave and half of them bolted out. My 2 1/2 year old chased after one of them screaming “call the paw patrol call the paw patrol they need to save the bunnies”. Apparently saving baby bunnies is a recurring theme on that god awful show. But it gave me a good laugh. All the bunnies were fine.
Paw Patrol Dog GIF by PAW Patrol: The Movie

I use Milorganite exclusively, but have been reading I need to apply potassium because Milorganite has none. I’ve done the fungicide, but without strong grass coming in to fight the fungus, it just keeps coming back.

Burn it out, I’m serious. Hand torch works best for spot control

We’re getting incentives here in AZ to replace our lawn with Rocky desert motif and low water desert plants. Up to $900.

Do a top dressing of really good/fine compost . It will help fight the fungus and improve the stand significantly.

Do you have Bermuda in NY (or tall fescue)

Edit: get some of this at your local SiteOne of Ewing (or order from Domyown.com) Apply in 14 day intervals.

IMG_4327.jpeg

Then apply a granular like Heritage G or Pillar G. You’ll want to make sure you’re alternating between chemicals as well. Since you’re in NY, some of these may be restricted, but anything with Triticonazole, T-Mythol, Azoxystrobin, or Propiconazole will combat dollar spot. You can use a granular like Headway G, which contains both Azoxystrobin & Propiconazole.

A combo of liquid foliar application with a systemic granular will usually do the trick. Don’t water at night, especially if it’s humid and most importantly make sure your lawn mower blades are sharp.

Treat in the early spring before it hits and late fall as well.

Last edited:
View attachment 1170230
We previously had rock & Bermuda grass in our backyard. The rock was impossible to keep weed free, the grass constantly struggled in the Texas heat. After 10 years of fighting the good fight, we just put in artificial turf.
Last summer and this summer were and are brutal. My yard is waay to big to do artificial, I’m better off buying a new house for what it would cost - lol.

I hate Bermuda though - can’t stand it. I’m a fescue guy, but it can’t handle TX heat unfortunately.

Do a top dressing of really good/fine compost . It will help fight the fungus and improve the stand significantly.

Do you have Bermuda in NY (or tall fescue)
Thanks for the tip. It’s a mix of fescue and bluegrass, with no zoysia.

Last summer and this summer were and are brutal. My yard is waay to big to do artificial, I’m better off buying a new house for what it would cost - lol.

I hate Bermuda though - can’t stand it. I’m a fescue guy, but it can’t handle TX heat unfortunately.
The cost of artificial is up there for sure, about the only positive of being on 0.35 acre is how small the backyard is for turf.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom