TEQUILA (2 Viewers)

Big Jilm

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
This is where we discuss tequila. I want to share my horrible history with tequila with you guys. About 20 years ago, I got drunk on Jose Cuervo and went to work my night crew shift at a grocery store. My first task was to move a liquor pallet. The pallet was top heavy with cases of Cuervo. I took a corner too quickly with the pallet jack, and dumped the pallet creating a river of disgusting tequila. As soon as the smell hit me, I got really sick and have not drank tequila since (except in margaritas). I have been using Patron Silver for over 10 years now and needed a change after educating myself about tequila (ie. about the agave plant, about the different types etc.)

Anyway, many of you may have seen my new margarita thread. I am on a mission to create a world class margarita. I believe this requires me to drink and to be knowledgeable about tequila. So far it has been a pleasant surprise. I started with a sampler of Avion (blanco, reposado, and anejo), Azunia blanco, Casamigos reposado, and Casa Noble Anejo. I have not tried the Avion yet, but the Azunia was very good, very smooth for a blanco. The Casamigos was crazy with the caramel notes, but will not be my next purchase for a reposado. The Casa Noble is the one that changed tequila for me. Smooth, complex, and delicious. I did not know tequila could be this good!!

Please share your tequila experiences and discuss what your preferences are in this thread. Cheers!

Last edited:
This is where we discuss tequila. I want to share my horrible history with tequila with you guys. About 20 years ago, I got drunk on Jose Cuervo and went to work my night crew shift at a grocery store. My first task was to move a liquor pallet. The pallet was top heavy with cases of Cuervo. I took a corner too quickly with the pallet jack, and dumped the pallet creating a river of disgusting tequila. As soon as the smell hit me, I got really sick and have not drank tequila since (except in margaritas). I have been using Patron Silver for over 10 years now and needed a change after educating myself about tequila (ie. about the agave plant, about the different types etc.)

Anyway, many of you may have seen my new margarita thread. I am on a mission to create a world class margarita. I believe this requires me to drink and to be knowledgeable about tequila. So far it has been a pleasant surprise. I started with a sampler of Avion (blanco, reposado, and anejo), Azunia blanco, Casamigos reposado, and Casa Noble Anejo. I have not tried the Avion yet, but the Azunia was very good, very smooth for a blanco. The Casamigos was crazy with the caramel notes, but will not be my next purchase for a reposado. The Casa Noble is the one that changed tequila for me. Smooth, complex, and delicious. I did not know tequila could be this good!!

Please share your tequila experiences and discuss what your preferences are in this thread. Cheers!
I have three friends who no longer drink tequila and if you ask them why all of their stories begin with, "this one time I was drinking tequila with Tom..."

I take immense pride in this.

And fwiw....no training wheels! (Salt, lime, etc) get good tequila and pound that shit straight!

he Casa Noble is the one that changed tequila for me. Smooth, complex, and delicious. I did not know tequila could be this good!!

Casa Noble is my go-to. Even in Arizona most restaurants around here don't carry it. Strangely enough, the one that does is a chain restaurant - On The Border.

And fwiw....no training wheels! (Salt, lime, etc) get good tequila and pound that shit straight!

Agreed, but there's no need to take the poison straight when you're dealing with lower-grade stuff. If you're slammin' Cuervo for some reason, salt/lime away!

Before I almost died on tequila a few years back i exclusively drank Don Julio Anejo. Sipping tequila fwiw. Not a Margarita fan

Glad you didn't die! Don Julio's a good line. I feel like it's just a bit overpriced for what it is, but I'd rather overpay a little for Don Julio than overpay a lot for Patron.

image.jpeg

I haven't had tequila since freshman year of college - playing halo all night and doing pulls of cuervo. just the smell of that stuff makes me dry heave. that experience has made me so gun shy that i haven't mustered the scrotal mass to try the stuff (even the really, really good stuff) since.

I know precisely what you mean. I had a similar experience as I stated. That is why I was so shocked when I tried the Casa Noble anejo. There is nothing worse than getting sick and violently vomiting from tequila. Horrible!

I haven't had tequila since freshman year of college - playing halo all night and doing pulls of cuervo. just the smell of that stuff makes me dry heave. that experience has made me so gun shy that i haven't mustered the scrotal mass to try the stuff (even the really, really good stuff) since.
This story relates to me big time!

I got really sick and have not drank tequila since

Before I almost died on tequila a few years back

I haven't had tequila since freshman year of college...just the smell of that stuff makes me dry heave

This story relates to me big time!

"Tequila: It's great (until it isn't)!"

So. Many. Similar. Stories. I haven't hit the tequila wall yet...and I hope I never do.

Pounded a liter of Cuervo and a pint of tequila rose chasers as a freshman in college, thought I was dying as layed curled up next to the toilet with the comforter from my bed all night long. didn't sniff the stuff for ten years. Shooting tequila is the same as chugging keg beer in my book.

Now I like to sip on ice. Some currents on the shelf

Cazadores reposado - margarita fodder if I want one, not bad sippin either
Tres agaves anejo- really good for $35
Aeroplano extra anejo- local store had it on clearance for $35 - after I got home and tasted it went back and bought a case for $28 with discount. Not sure what the deal was but a couple weeks later it's back on the shelf for $47 a bottle

tequila.jpg

I have never had a tequila that I've enjoyed the taste of.

Access to decent tequila seems restricted in Scotland.

I've heard this is good for the money:

El_Tesoro_de_Don_Felipe_Reposado_Tequila_76319_i0.jpg

Some great bottle designs out there though

ee53f41a6375c3a13009437c8d17e862.jpg

7716116.png

mj-618_348_don-julio-1942-the-best-tequilas-in-the-world.jpg

La-Hora-Azul-Reposado-Tequila.jpg

tres-quatro-cinco-350-3.jpg

milagro-unico.jpg

And if this one tastes like shit you could always sit on the bottle

AsomBroso-Silver-Tequila.jpg

Was introduced to Don Julio during a visit to Mexico in around the year 2000. It has been my favorite so far, perhaps for the quality and a bit for the happy memories of a great trip.

medium.jpeg

Last edited:
Best bang for the buck that I have found is Espolon, either the white or reposado. I’m glad that there has been a tequila revolution over the years, with people appreciating the better stuff. Back when I was young, the only real choice was Cuervo...man that stuff is just lighter fluid. :nailbite:

Ohh I will happily post some pics when I get home! My regular cheap but delicious tequila is Suza silver. Great for making Margaritas! Not a Patron fan... never have been. Its too smooth! Doesn't taste like tequila. My favorite shot is Hornitos with Lime. Which is Suzas mid line also fantastic for Margaritas but a bit more costly. Trés Generations is their high end... my Tequila collection can be beat but decent. AVION, Partida, Mastero Doblé, Don Julio. Going to be a fun pic!! Haha

My market had a huge sale on Casamigos so I got a 375 of the anejo to drink straight, on ice, sitting by my pool. It was smooth as hell, all the tequila flavor with no bite, and finished with a taste I can only describe as bubblegum. Magical!

My picks:

El Buho is a Mescal, Solana is Wal Mart exclusive I think which is a shocker with how good it is & Tanteo is jalapeno flavored.
Also, opinions vary - your user experience may not equal mine.

Tequila.jpg

Lightweight! That’s ok though, it takes one to know one. Three small bourbons last night and I was zonked.

I know this is pricy, and probably zero chance I ever get a bottle, but has anybody tried Porfidio?

Jose Cuervo has done a lot of harm to the general public in turning them away from tequila.
As a former bartender (over a decade of experience) there are many fine tequila's out there for many different pallets.

I'm not a tequila aficionado but I know some and have tried a lot of different brands and styles, just had this one last weekend. I wouldn't recommend putting this in a margarita. It was good but I couldn't tell the difference between this and a bottle that cost half the price.

Clase Azul Reposado Tequila

1593620150281.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom