Anybody put a cap on their double board omaha bomb pots? (3 Viewers)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I was watching a stream of a texas game yesterday. When they played double board omaha bomb pots, everybody put in $100, but players were capped at $5k for the hand.
I thought that was an interesting twist, because those pots get so expensive. I think the average stack in the game was something like $15,000 or more, so that cap actually offered significant protection.

Instead of capping the betting just don't play the bomb pot.........

Bomb pots are meant to push a bunch of dead money in the pot to draw action. If you're worried enough to cap the action then just don't play the bomb pot, seems silly to me.

After having thoroughy read Jeff Hwang's cornerstone book, I 'd never play this game again among socially related people.
I 'd even not allow my children play that game, if I had any :p :) :)
Which book do you mean, and why wouldn't you play DBO specifically among socially related people?

I think it's a great game. My crew plays it in a NL bomb-pot format, no caps (though stacks are usually relatively short, so not as big of a deal).

I was watching a stream of a texas game yesterday. When they played double board omaha bomb pots, everybody put in $100, but players were capped at $5k for the hand.
I thought that was an interesting twist, because those pots get so expensive. I think the average stack in the game was something like $15,000 or more, so that cap actually offered significant protection.

Gods game........5 cards in the mitt, double board PLO is one of my favorite games. I like it so much I had a chip made for it.

I would never put a cap on it. Of course, our bomb pots are $2 to $5 dollars each.

I’ve played in games that did this and also the same rules w stand up game. It’s actually kinda nice.

It’s a good idea but only makes sense in higher stakes and you gotta keep your bets/chips in front of you the entire hand.

Bomb pots are meant to push a bunch of dead money in the pot to draw action. If you're worried enough to cap the action then just don't play the bomb pot, seems silly to me.
I would imagine it's done more to protect the game? Because people can be felted quickly.
And not for nothing, but this was in a texas card room - theyre all maniacs down there, so maybe they've learned something along the way?

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

We treat our bomb pots like modified flips so they are capped. $100/$400 (total outlay is $500). Some games start as low as $25/$225 ($250 total). Initial bet gets you two flops. If u like what u see, put the rest in and run it. This one turned out pretty good for me only using 3 of my 5 cards.
IMG_5799.jpeg

Which book do you mean, and why wouldn't you play DBO specifically among socially related people?

I think it's a great game. My crew plays it in a NL bomb-pot format, no caps (though stacks are usually relatively short, so not as big of a deal).
Man, jokes apart, it's a very gambly game, which can result into huge, undesirable losses among "socially related people".
Meaning you are trying to keep a home game together.
Otherwise, why not.

Man, jokes apart, it's a very gambly game, which can result into huge, undesirable losses among "socially related people".
Meaning you are trying to keep a home game together.
Otherwise, why not.
Agree to disagree, I guess.

I think it's one of the best games out there, as long as you're playing stakes and a structure that makes sense for your crew.

I for one love introducing bomb pots at specified times during a game. Double board is the only way to go. Players who are in fear of losing their stack can sit out. Problem solved.

We play them after every monotone flop and they are non-mandatory, although I’m yet to see anyone sit out.

It’s also the only way I can sometimes dig myself out of a hole so no cap is the way to go :LOL: :laugh:

New club here in Louisville, Club JAQK, has a cap, I don't mind. I love bomb pots, but, they can explode and you can crash a home game that way. Just got to work out what's best for your group of players.

You often speak about the dangers big bet poker can be to a home game or any game. I would think you’d be warm to the idea of a cap on those crazy hands.

You often speak about the dangers big bet poker can be to a home game or any game. I would think you’d be warm to the idea of a cap on those crazy hands.
This is true. And I do feel that way about big-bet poker in general. I've been thinking about getting a limit game together, in fact, now that I have a solid group who will play literally anything.

Usually this is how we have played the Bomb Pot dealer choice which is once per orbit.

Button holding stack below $500, the bomb pot is capped at $500

Button holding stack above $500, he can choose whether it be capped at $500 or uncapped.

The button gets to choose whether the bomb pot will be capped or uncapped depending on his stack which for example my $1/2 game bomb pot ante is usually $5 and capped at $500.

I've played in games with caps and no caps. I think I slightly prefer a cap, but I'll play both.

I have a feeling that the result of the bomb pots played will have a strong correlation to the overall results of the night for any given player. Its easier to loose/win a big pot with the bomb pots. Capping them will make the bombpot less impact full, but still very fun and gambly and there will still be plenty of big action pots.

And by the way, for the people saying a cap only makes sense in a high stakes game, I think that's wrong. Stakes are often played relative to income and or bankroll, and so it shouldn't impact this decision too much, imo. Differentiating it between a super deep stack game and a short stacked game has more merit maybe..

Last edited:
At popular request, I now allow an occasional double board Omaha (high) bomb pot at my game.

Rather than timing it, these happen whenever there is a monotone flop. It works out to about one per hour, sometimes less sometimes more. It has happened two hands in a row (once).

I’m torn about it. I don’t mind the added action (and resulting topoffs/buyins) for myself. But I’m not yet sure whether this is good or bad for the health of the game, long-term.

The higher-rolled, more gambly players love it, but I can tell some of the nittier players are less than thrilled. (Anyone can sit out, but no one does because they don’t want to be the stick in the mud.)

.50/1 blind NL. $5 pre flop, $25 cap. Almost always capped with 3-7 callers. Hate it but play it.

Bomb pots inject an added level of volatility in a NL/PL game. I prefer running a bomb pot in PLO over NLHE. The increased number of possibilities makes the hand more interesting. Therefore, the reason behind having a top board and bottom board is that it increases the equity odds across the field of participants. Playing two boards with half the pot going to the best hand of each helps balance out the volatility. There is also the added thrill of the scoop, which in my experience seems to happen about 15% of the time.

We do 5x the big blind pre-flop. Uncapped post flop. Players have the option of sitting out.

I'm thinking about capping them, because results have become too skewed towards a couple of big winners and everyone else bust, I'm not sure its good for the ecosystem.

I found out at the Empire in London they do Pot-or-fold instead, which is an interesting twist I might try: everyone antes e.g. 5bb (so 8-way has 40bb), straight to the flop, then the cap is a single pot size bet, there is no checking, each player in turn makes the pot size 40bb bet 'all-in' or folds.

Seems to me its both more capped, because of the cap, but also good for gambling because if it folds to around the HJ, opening should be pretty loose. I'm going to try it as an alternative next chance I get.

^ This.

My cap is "no bomb pots allowed."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom