Flattening Warped Chips (3 Viewers)

View attachment 1323475

View attachment 1323477
View attachment 1323479

Would this still work? Just practicing before I heat them up…

I can’t seem to line it up with the flattening rack like @juankay20
That looks fine. Just as long as the chips don’t get too close to the edge of the spacers…and yours appear to be fine.
I would be very aware of the pressure using those clamps, I think it’s very easy to over-tighten the stacks. The amount of pressure needed to flatten chips is surprisingly small.

I'll cut the ends off the design to offer both styles incase laying clamp flat on table is preferred. Current design is wider than the chip stack to hold them upright while loading.
Anybody that wants narrow style that already purchased current style lmk and I'll send out replacements.

Have you tried lining up the spacers/chips in between the tension screws? The stack tends to shift the further forward you go in the clamp
I did… the problem is more about flattening rack ends as it hits first unless I put an extra two 39 mm ceramics on the end but that’s being sorted out by @Sparkynutz

IMG_6846.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6853.jpeg
    IMG_6853.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6854.jpeg
    IMG_6854.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6855.jpeg
    IMG_6855.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 11
I have flattened quite a few chips.... several thousand and murdered 10's of thousands of chips and the best advice I can give is "go slow" as in just a few chips 1,2,3 on your first go around with any of this stuff and then if you screw it up you are only ruining a few chips.

If it was me, I would still go with 140F. That isn't very warm and go with light pressure. Inspect the chips with a loop once they have cooled an hour or so. Damage could be "light" damage, but you want no evidence whatsoever other than flatter chips.
I am about to start a project which involves both flattening and murdering.

In your experience if you flatten before murdering, does it make the murder more or less difficult, or does it have no impact?

I’m not sure if the heat and change in form will have any impact on the inlay and/or label under the inlay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom