Hi, Steaks: the Official PCF Steak Thread (3 Viewers)

20200419_190452.jpg

Sous vide coulotte, finished on the slow and sear.

Something I'm really interested in hearing ahead of my first Vegas trip next May: top three steakhouses in Vegas?

I plan to eat at five over eight nights; thus far, I've got Oscar's, Barry's Prime and Andiamo all but locked in.

I always plan dinner at Lawry's when I go to Vegas. Best prime rib I've ever had. They wheel the cart to your table and cut it in front of you.

Gotta have the yorkshire pudding and creamed corn.

Steaks look great
Anyone got this chip :p
View attachment 797089
Absolutely halarious Eric, when I saw the thread it made me think of the exact same thing!!

Of course I own the chip (I own 3 of them I believe) unfortunately the only pic in my phone is this one
20210620_015326.jpg

HIGH STEAKS is hiding in the bottom row there! Lmao

Cool thread @jr8719

I do steak almost exclusively via sous vide, and when there's a charcoal grill available, I finish them using the cold grate technique for a 100% surface sear, rather than getting grill marks. Absolutely perfect every single time, without fail.

Sous vide is basically cheating, but I don't care. If I'm cooking steak, I'll do anything I can to make sure that it's cooked to perfection. You just have to be able to stomach looking at a disgusting, soft, gray piece of meat that's actually fully cooked before you finish it off!

Craftsteak at the MGM was great but it’s been a while.

Tried it for the first time last month and it was amazing. Steak may look too rare for some of you but that's how I like it :cool. They also had the best cocktail I've ever had in my life that I screenshotted the menu after to try and recreate it (I can't).

8gZO9lx.png

cm1kY6Q.jpg

Yx1832W.jpg

9O50CZg.jpg

qWN9Yxe.jpg

Cost of doing business unfortunately, and tenderloin is at the top. Tend to buy smaller slabs myself.
You'll hear no complaints from me – a good steak is worth every cent.

Absolutely halarious Eric, when I saw the thread it made me think of the exact same thing!!

Of course I own the chip (I own 3 of them I believe) unfortunately the only pic in my phone is this one
View attachment 797181
HIGH STEAKS is hiding in the bottom row there! Lmao

Cool thread @jr8719
Well, who doesn't love a thread containing steak and chips? (Chips are fries over here, so the perfect combo.)

I do steak almost exclusively via sous vide, and when there's a charcoal grill available, I finish them using the cold grate technique for a 100% surface sear, rather than getting grill marks. Absolutely perfect every single time, without fail.

Sous vide is basically cheating, but I don't care. If I'm cooking steak, I'll do anything I can to make sure that it's cooked to perfection. You just have to be able to stomach looking at a disgusting, soft, gray piece of meat that's actually fully cooked before you finish it off!
Pffffft, if it helps create perfection, then it ain't cheating!

Tried it for the first time last month and it was amazing. Steak may look too rare for some of you but that's how I like it :cool. They also had the best cocktail I've ever had in my life that I screenshotted the menu after to try and recreate it (I can't).

8gZO9lx.png

cm1kY6Q.jpg

Yx1832W.jpg

9O50CZg.jpg

qWN9Yxe.jpg
Cheers to both you and @Omar65 for the reccomendation – looks phenom!

That cocktail looks like an Old Fashioned to me?

Damn this thread is inspiring me to smoke my family out of the house whilst I cast iron sear some ribeyes in the kitchen. Hmmmm
Do what I do--reverse sear in oven, and use a charcoal chimney starter to get coals ripping hot, then put a grate and cast iron skillet directly on the chimney starter. Kitchen and house stay smoke free.

Set up in pic:

DBA3EF7B-525C-4D8D-B9AD-B645D5541141.jpeg

Do what I do--reverse sear in oven, and use a charcoal chimney starter to get coals ripping hot, then put a grate and cast iron skillet directly on the chimney starter. Kitchen and house stay smoke free.

Set up in pic:

View attachment 797330

I've done this as well - I've also just put a grate over a 50% full chimney and finished the steak directly over the lit coals that way. Great way to have screaming hot heat concentrated on the surface of the steak.

I've yet to try the caveman method, where you simply place the steak directly on the fire/coals.

I've done this as well - I've also just put a grate over a 50% full chimney and finished the steak directly over the lit coals that way. Great way to have screaming hot heat concentrated on the surface of the steak.

I've yet to try the caveman method, where you simply place the steak directly on the fire/coals.

Set up in pic:

View attachment 797330

I may have to try this tonight!

Tough not to give into temptation tonight, but going to give this tomahawk another 24 hours dry brining in the fridge.

First photo shows it as it was from the butcher; the second with salt on; the third as it is now. The colour change after only a day is insane.

IMG_20211019_185404.jpg

IMG_20211019_185420.jpg

IMG_20211019_185340.jpg

Absolutely. It's easy. It's not that expensive. And it's SO consistent.

There's also actually not much required, the only real startup cost is just the temperature regulating device. I use this one from Anova and it has been flawless: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/wifi/

Other than that, all you need is your meat, any big tub/container filled with water, and a bag to put the meat in. I vacuum seal the bags I cook my meat in, but you can absolutely use a regular food-safe Ziploc with as much air pressed/sucked out of it as you can manage.

That cocktail looks like an Old Fashioned to me?

It's the "Two Smoking Barrels" drink listed in the first pic. The one guy that got an old fashioned switched to it after taking a sip, so the whole group ended up having at least one each!

If you want to get into sous vide rather cheaply, you can get the Anova Nano for $130 dollars IIRC, use a stew pot or large Tupperware, and some Ziplock freezer bags.
I use (and recommend) Food Saver vacuum seal bags (because we already have one for freezing things).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom